• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

con_manx2

Quick question: I just found out I'm not on any of the three lists (selected, alternate, non-select). However, it was confirmed that I was at the board before the deadline. Any insight as to what could have happened? I'm supposed to hear more on Monday but in my opinion I just wasn't seen at all for whatever reason. I appreciate any insight and congrats to those who were Pro-Rec'd!

Hey, man, after graduating (go Gators) I moved up to Manhattan and went through NRD New York. My recruiter was on leave but I texted him and he was good enough to find out and get back to me soon after. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Oh ok, much thanks for the reply, had my heart pounding hard having not heard anything. Go Gators!

Diesel Fox

For all of those that were non-selects, remember that this isn't the end of the road. There will be more boards, there are other services, and there are other career paths. Also remember that even if you would have been pro-rec'd, guarantees don't exist (I can personally testify to that). Just be happy that you have the opportunities and keep climbing. When you finally get what you fought hard for, the contrast between the bad and the good will make everything feel that much better. You're trying to join the Navy to fight, so just keep doing what you dream to do for a living... and fight on.

Congrats to the selects.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Yep, that was it. I remember it was at the end of Oct., but I couldn't remember the exact date. Good luck on getting Nov. 27th, they told me they still had a few spots left so you shouldn't have any problems there.

Well apparently they are holding a spot for me. I will hopefully be going at my earliest convenience once I get my cast off. I am assuming it will be the November 27th date but we all know what assuming means. My OR kinda hinted that I will be in the earliest class I can be physically ready for which I think puts me in the November class or January at the latest. If my cast would have come off during my previous appointment then I would have been in the October 30th date or November at the latest. Either way I'm just glad Big Navy still wants me as long as there are no complications with the recovery process.

Diesel Fox

Quick question: I just found out I'm not on any of the three lists (selected, alternate, non-select). However, it was confirmed that I was at the board before the deadline. Any insight as to what could have happened? I'm supposed to hear more on Monday but in my opinion I just wasn't seen at all for whatever reason. I appreciate any insight and congrats to those who were Pro-Rec'd!

You could have been "tabled" like me. Still searching for clarification on this issue. Did you have any issues or documents that needed to be reviewed?

con_manx2

You could have been "tabled" like me. Still searching for clarification on this issue. Did you have any issues or documents that needed to be reviewed?
I don't think so. Maybe I need a waiver for speeding tickets? could this be an issue? I'm currently applying to the Marine Corps OCS and had to get a waiver there for my 5 speeding tickets.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Just because you don't like what someone has to say, that doesn't mean it's not constructive. Everything I said was true. The sooner you realize that sometimes life kicks you in the balls, and sometimes you just have to push through it. . .the sooner you can find a path that works for you. I have a friend that applied to fly with the Army Reserve (she was too old for the Navy/CG). After she got her wings, she stuck around for a couple of years (and a deployment), and she switched to the Coast Guard. Sometimes, things have a way of working out for you in the end. . .If you want any help with alternatives, feel free to shoot any of us a line. I might tell you to stop your bitching and moaning, but when It comes down to it, I enjoy taking care of soldiers (and now sailors, I suppose), and I'll do my best to help you.

Just for the record. . .

Constructive:
Own up to the fact that maybe you just weren't good enough this time around. If you truly want to be a Naval officer, there are other options for you, SWO, NFO, Supp-O. If you want to be a pilot, consider flying for the Army, their age requirements aren't as low as the Navy's. Explore your options, accept the blame, and move on with your life instead of living in the pity party.

Furthermore, grades aren't everything. Like some of the other people on this board, Sooner and AllAmerican . . . I had some shitty grades on my transcript, a few failures, and a low GPA (3.0 in a pretty damn easy subject). But you know what, I made my package stronger through volunteer work, community involvement, and leadership opportunities. I made myself out to be the best damn candidate for a Naval Officer in my motivational statement. My point is this. . .if your best wasn't good enough, get better.

Non Constructive, and pisses people off:
This was my one shot at pilot as i am active duty and will be too old for the next go around....Basically, they made me give up.. They just screwed one of their own..

non select..
To all the people who said gpa and scores wasnt everything, I now 100% completely disagree with you.. It is all about GPA and scores..

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
They offered me 3 dates today: the end of Oct (forgot the date), Nov. 27th, and Jan 22nd(I think). I took the Nov. 27th Date. Obviously the fleet guys get dates quicker because their medical and security screening is usually complete before they apply, but I wouldn't expect dates too far off from those. I am coming up on the age limit next year so they tried to get me an early date and they will do the same for everyone else who is close.

Congrats man! It must be nice working at Millingon, and getting to choose your date! You've definitely put forth a lot of work to help everyone out with the process here, and if anyone deserves this, it's you! Look forward to seeing you out there in the fleet.

con_manx2

Found this from a recent thread posted by Lucy.
"From my understanding tabled is not usually due to too many applicants but rather to give specific applicants a second look over before a yes/no without making them reapply. If there are 200 people in the "Must have" pile but only 150 slots at the board, then the bottom 50 "Must haves" are saved until the next board to compare against another set of applicants. Bascially, they don't want to lose really good people just due to numbers so they get put on the next board to make sure if that group of 50 is not better than the new applicants."

Diesel Fox

Found this from a recent thread posted by Lucy.
"From my understanding tabled is not usually due to too many applicants but rather to give specific applicants a second look over before a yes/no without making them reapply. If there are 200 people in the "Must have" pile but only 150 slots at the board, then the bottom 50 "Must haves" are saved until the next board to compare against another set of applicants. Bascially, they don't want to lose really good people just due to numbers so they get put on the next board to make sure if that group of 50 is not better than the new applicants."

I read that too, but why wouldn't they just call it a non-select. From the looks of it, tabled apps have to wait 6 months for another board anyways.

con_manx2

I read that too, but why wouldn't they just call it a non-select. From the looks of it, tabled apps have to wait 6 months for another board anyways.
Ya true. Not sure what the significance is of being tabled except that you don't have to re-apply because your app will already be there.

Lucy

Likely because some of those people would be lost if given a non-select, and being tabled is better than getting a no. And boards have been six months apart, but a lot of the time it is more like 2 or 3, which would mean the people would have to "have a substantial improvement" to reapply. Being tabled means the boards keep the people on the list even if the board is within six months.

fjauliveld

For all the Active Duty enlisted applicants that were non-selects, a new eval, pfa score, re-take of the ASTB, new award, change in GPA, additional courses or interviews, any of these allow you to re-submit. If you go this route, ensure you are not currently under orders to transfer, and you will need a new CO's endorsement. If you wait more than six months from when you were a non-select, you will have to turn in a whole new package. I've just helped one of the non-selects in my command draft his re-submission letter. Hope this helps you guys.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hey question for the experts...I know getting Pro-rec'd is the first piece of the puzzle, but when can we realistically expect to head to OCS?

For all of those applying from Civie Street like myself, my recruiter informed me that they probably will not be issuing dates until Congress passes the budget and the Navy knows how much money they have to work with. He said that as soon the budget is passed, approved, and the Navy has their operational budget figured out, FS letters will be coming out. That said, during the first budget crisis in March, Big Navy was issuing FS Letters without dates in order to lock in people.

SDPilot6

I'm no millsra, but I did have my dad (Navy Captain) call NRD dallas to shed some light on the matter. I was selected alternate as well. From my understanding, which seems to be correct, we (both primary alternate and secondary) still need to finish all of our paperwork as if we had been Pro-Rec'd BY 24OCT2011 and be ready to go. Talk to you recruiter about doing that for you. Also, the way we may be chosen is based on a first come first serve type of deal. So if you get your paperwork in by 26SEP2011 and some other joe shmo gets his in the day after and a slot opens up, you'll get the first option to leave. Obviously primary alternates will have first choice, but secondary alternates may still be in the running! There were for sure 85 pro recs, 28 primary alternates and I believe 18 "secondary" alternates. I saw the list myself and counted those numbers, for what it's worth. I've been on the phone all day talking to people about this, but take my advice with a grain of salt, I suppose.

Thanks! That's good news compared to what I thought it would be. Unfortunately I have to redo MEPS, but I've already got it the on the schedule with my OR. Appreciate you passing the word along and best of luck picking up a spot!