• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

Stalin

Can i vent without having a jackass like yourself try and drop knowledge...
Careful there man, he's an ensign and a great contributor to this board. You're playing a dangerous game, and you're just proving what he said.

I'll help you anyway. I believe you can reapply within 6 months if you have a "substantial change to your packet." I don't know what level that is, and I'm not even 100% on that, but if it is true, I'd start busting my ass ASAP

compton

Pro-Rec SNA!! Congrats to all those who made it! Here are my stats.

22/m
2.8 BA Poultry Science Texas A&M 5/6/6 47
3 LORs (professor, employer, retired naval aviator)
Various organizations and community service

Those who didn't make it don't give up. This was my first time applying and I was nervous that my grades would hold me back but that just goes to show that they don't just focus on the grades and they look at the whole person.

Lucy

Careful there man, he's an ensign and a great contributor to this board. You're playing a dangerous game, and you're just proving what he said.

I'll help you anyway. I believe you can reapply within 6 months if you have a "substantial change to your packet." I don't know what level that is, and I'm not even 100% on that, but if it is true, I'd start busting my ass ASAP

6 month exception for substantial change is true. Substantial can be an increase in GPA over .1, new LOR from a boss or military (O-3 and above), new ASTB, new interview, and some times an award.

Vitrivius

Pro rec SNA
Pro-Rec SNA!! Congrats to all those who made it! Here are my stats.

22/m
2.8 BA Poultry Science Texas A&M 5/6/6 47
3 LORs (professor, employer, retired naval aviator)
Various organizations and community service

Those who didn't make it don't give up. This was my first time applying and I was nervous that my grades would hold me back but that just goes to show that they don't just focus on the grades and they look at the whole person.

Hi there, I don't mean to sound like a douche, but what is Poultry Science? sounds interesting and I know it has something to do with chicken...no?

ADev

Pro Rec SNA!
Hey, I've been waiting to hear back on my results also; however, I was curious which recruiter you have (as I just graduated from UF a few months ago). Wondering if we have the same recruiter and your results are in, mine may be as well. Much Thanks.
Hey, man, after graduating (go Gators) I moved up to Manhattan and went through NRD New York. My recruiter was on leave but I texted him and he was good enough to find out and get back to me soon after. Best of luck and keep us posted.

compton

Hi there, I don't mean to sound like a douche, but what is Poultry Science? sounds interesting and I know it has something to do with chicken...no?
Not just chickens. Its any type of domesticated bird that's used for eggs, meat and feathers. We basically develop supplements to improve the quality of the meat and eggs and we study the effects that it has on the bird.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor

Im not a big fan either of just an N for the status. I would like some kind of a reason..Maybe they didnt have an opening for me to go to OCS before i hit 29?
And i wasnt talking before about an appeal, on the 1420.1b instruction there is a way to apply for a reconsideration within 6 months.. Anybody know anything about that?

Are you seriously talking to a commissioned officer like that? You are in the Navy, not just a civilian...you should know better. Plus he is a very helpful guy on this forum. I understand the age issue you have because this was my one shot as well, but I did everything I could to make my package as competitive as possible and if I didn't get selected, then I would apply for another designator. Your attitude is starting to reflect badly on us fleet guys and we try very hard to be professional on here. All of the others that were non-selects took it in stride and congratulated everyone else, you should take note. I'm pretty sure you know the reason you didn't get selected...your package wasn't as competitive as the other pro recs. You probably don't want to hear that, but sometimes you just have to accept the truth and move on. It sucks you didn't get selected, but lashing out on an internet forum will do absolutely no good and could potentially have negative consequences.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Millsra are you still out there or half way to Rhode Island already?

I wanted to see if you could shed some light on the alternate list. I was told by my OR that there are 25 or so names on the list and they may start picking off that list after the October 24th deadline for you lucky Pro-Rec'd folks. I don't know if I'm first or last, but do you know anything about the rationale behind the number of alternates they selected or if it's just an arbitrary (and large?) number? Basically I've heard nothing about alternates for SNA in the past so just looking for any ideas.

Thanks for all your help in this LONG process and it's awesome to hear you got picked up, congrats!!

Congrats to everyone else, but I'm sure you don't want to be Naval Aviators, you might as well just tell your ORs no today!! ;)

Someone on AW within the last few months had posted that alternates are essentially alternates for the FY they are selected in, but will be moved to be slotted against the next FY is they don't move up. So basically if this board is selecting for FY12 (which I assume it is), that means if you don't get an OCS date before July 2012, you'll automatically be slotted against FY13 (July 2012-June 2013 OCS date). Essentially the board is saying "We want you on our team, but we don't have enough slots this year. If one opens up, great. If not, we want you next year, and as such have selected you already."

I'm not saying this is for sure what an alternate status means, since I don't even remember who said it, and their information was second (or third) hand already.

NavyMominOhio

Contributor
To all the applicants----you are an amazingly impressive group. The competition for the available slots was intense. It saddens me to see that there aren't enough slots in the ever-diminishing military community for everyone right now as each of you would no doubt serve with distinction and honor. I hope that those of you who did not get good news this particular round will indeed reapply and reapply until you just age out. Thank you all from a simple American mom who came of age in the draft-card-burning-and-deferment-seeking era. I am eternally grateful for our world class military and for each of you who are willing to sacrifice for those of us who did not or would not when it was our turn.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Non-Select,

Spoke to my new recruiter (now my 3rd). Apparently I wasn't allowed to apply until Feb. 2012 anyway....I was previously accepted (NFO) but my pro-rec expired due to not getting proper documentation for a leg issue I was having. Got the proper documentation from a active-duty Navy doc, congrats to all those accepted.

If you had a pro-rec previously, you should have been able to just be submitted for reconsideration at the soonest board. That happened to me back in April. My recruiter even tried to get me submitted for a re-review outside of normal boards (no-go for me due to budget craziness), and this might be a viable option for you. Ask your recruiter to contact the central processors and stuff down in Millington about the process.

This was my one shot at pilot as i am active duty and will be too old for the next go around....Basically, they made me give up.. They just screwed one of their own..

Dude, I know it hurts; I've been there. A little about me: I applied to the Academy 3 times out of high school, even though I was nominated by my Congressman. Hell, the third time they didn't even send a response. I then attended VMI and was turned down for a 4 year scholarship with NROTC. As soon as I got to VMI, I was informed that the only way to obtain a commission into the Navy through ROTC was to have a scholarship (I later found out that this was the department's policy, not Navy's). I applied anyway and was turned down. I worked my ass off, applied yet again, and was told to kick rocks as they just weren't interested due to my low grades (I'm not mathematically-inclined but decided to be an engineer anyway). I was then referred to a recruiter and was bounced around three different recruiters before I was finally able to apply for OCS. Due to my low grades I worked my ass off senior year and let my PT standards slip. Because of this, I was tabled at the June 2010 boards until I could get into standards. I worked my ass off (Crossfit is amazing) and was picked up in September 2010. I then was medically disqualified based upon iffy evidence (there are multiple threads in the Medical forum) and had to fight an uphill battle with MEPSCOM and BUMED in order to get a waiver. Right as I was declared fit for duty and ready to have my package reviewed (Pro-rec had expired whilst fighting the good fight), the Navy ran out of money and all of the board cancellations started. I was just given back my pro-rec two weeks ago. All told, it's been a 6 year process to get to this point and I still haven't even received my FS letter yet (will happen as soon as the budget gets passed).

My point is this: Don't let the rage, indignation, and bitterness eat you up. It sucks, and I've been there; hell, I nearly threw in the towel in February while going through all of the medical craziness. You can't let it get you down, though. You still have the option of picking up an NFO slot and then becoming a retread. The fight ain't over yet unless you let it be. Best of luck, man, and I hope to see you in the fleet someday.

Tonkovich.J

Non-Select

21/M
Senior in Mechanical Engineering @ Purdue University graduating in May 2012
3.7/4.0 GPA
7/8/8 60
4 LOR's from some of my professors and adviser
Student member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Interview with O-6 Aviator and former CO of Naval Station Great Lakes

Was told that my graduation date was too far out to apply for direct accession. They also said that my best bet is to apply again in the spring of 2012. This was my third application and I'm definitely disappointed. However, I'm still young and got plenty of time to improve on things for the next board. Also I would like to offer a big congratulations to all the fine people selected. You all have worked hard and are very deserving of your selection. I will see all of you in the fleet eventually.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor

Im not a big fan either of just an N for the status. I would like some kind of a reason..Maybe they didnt have an opening for me to go to OCS before i hit 29?
And i wasnt talking before about an appeal, on the 1420.1b instruction there is a way to apply for a reconsideration within 6 months.. Anybody know anything about that?

Holy Fing dog shit... Seriously! He gave you constructive criticism and alternatives on what you can do next. You then want to turn around and call him a jackass for saying what others are probably thinking. Although you are on an internet board you realize there are many officers here including the guy you just cursed at! Don't for a second think they can't figure out who you are and what command you are in. You NEED to check that attitude real quick! I would walk around here from now on like you are walking barefoot on broken glass...

I said it before and I will say it again... You need to STOP being emotional and start using your head!

TheBirdy

pilot
Non-Select

21/M
Senior in Mechanical Engineering @ Purdue University graduating in May 2012
3.7/4.0 GPA
7/8/8 60
4 LOR's from some of my professors and adviser
Student member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Interview with O-6 Aviator and former CO of Naval Station Great Lakes

Was told that my graduation date was too far out to apply for direct accession. They also said that my best bet is to apply again in the spring of 2012. This was my third application and I'm definitely disappointed. However, I'm still young and got plenty of time to improve on things for the next board. Also I would like to offer a big congratulations to all the fine people selected. You all have worked hard and are very deserving of your selection. I will see all of you in the fleet eventually.

Man that is a bummer, your stats look absolutely solid. I thought it was a one year out from graduation time period for DA?