• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

ChiefM

Last word I got from Fleet OCS was that (for some designators) there were no FY-12 quotas left. However, hiring for FY-13 was not out of the question. Until the results come out, we just won't know.

Stats:
35/M
INTEL/IP/IW
Active Navy '94-'Present ITC(IDW/SW)
Navy/Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal x 2, US Navy Good Conduct Medal x 4, National Defense Service Medal x 2, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War of Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon x 2, Overseas Service Ribbon x 2 etc....
BA History National University 3.5 GPA
Designator-Specific Interviews: INTEL: O-8
IP/IW: O-6, O-5 (CAPT Select)
Non Designator-Specific Interviews: O-6 x 2, O5, O3E (LDO)
Previous Application: Pro-Rec'd for SWO. Unable to attian requisite age waiver.

Good luck to all. This site has been a huge help!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Last word I got from Fleet OCS was that (for some designators) there were no FY-12 quotas left. However, hiring for FY-13 was not out of the question. Until the results come out, we just won't know.

Stats:
35/M
INTEL/IP/IW
Active Navy '94-'Present ITC(IDW/SW)
Navy/Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal x 2, US Navy Good Conduct Medal x 4, National Defense Service Medal x 2, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War of Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon x 2, Overseas Service Ribbon x 2 etc....
BA History National University 3.5 GPA
Designator-Specific Interviews: INTEL: O-8
IP/IW: O-6, O-5 (CAPT Select)
Non Designator-Specific Interviews: O-6 x 2, O5, O3E (LDO)
Previous Application: Pro-Rec'd for SWO. Unable to attian requisite age waiver.

Good luck to all. This site has been a huge help!

Good Luck Chief!

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Just curious Chief, but why the decision to go to OCS now? Seems like you'd be happier in your current designator as opposed to essentially starting over as a butter bar.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Talked to a guy who just graduated OCS and said there was a Senior Chief in his class. Not only that, but he was a SEAL! Can you imagine an E-7 Marine Gunny or Navy Chief screaming at an E-8 Navy SEAL? The guy said the Senior Chief handled it very well though...must have been humbling.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
How do you know this if you don't mind me asking? I was instructed by my OR that the standard way MEPS deals with this is to get documentation from my doctor stating I'm no longer on meds and my academic performance hasn't diminished at the same time. Idk, as long as I don't have to pay for the test since it's quite expensive...

When I was knocking down doors while dealing with my own psych waiver, I was informed by a psychologist who works at NAMI that during the flight physical process the odds are high that they might require you to take a cognitive ability exam just to put any worries about ADD/ADHD to rest. He said it isn't a big deal and that it's pretty standard, but that sometimes the flight docs can be finicky. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you've been off of meds for awhile and/or have your personal shrink's approval.

GreenLantern330

When I was knocking down doors while dealing with my own psych waiver, I was informed by a psychologist who works at NAMI that during the flight physical process the odds are high that they might require you to take a cognitive ability exam just to put any worries about ADD/ADHD to rest. He said it isn't a big deal and that it's pretty standard, but that sometimes the flight docs can be finicky. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you've been off of meds for awhile and/or have your personal shrink's approval.

Thanks for the info! I'm glad I've got all my documentation and went through the process so far, and I'm sure I don't still have ADD, but a part of me didn't like the sound of a test... Mainly because I have no clue how they actually test it but now I'm assuming it's just a series of questionnaires and looking at transcripts. I'll try not to worry about it. Sounds like it's not thy bad. Thanks again!

EDIT: typo

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Talked to a guy who just graduated OCS and said there was a Senior Chief in his class. Not only that, but he was a SEAL! Can you imagine an E-7 Marine Gunny or Navy Chief screaming at an E-8 Navy SEAL? The guy said the Senior Chief handled it very well though...must have been humbling.

I almost wonder if he was at the point where they had stuck him on staff jobs. I knew two SF guys who were Captains (O-3) and had finished up their team time and were stuck in staff jobs, that were considering resigning their commissions so they could go back to be enlisted (and back onto the teams). This could be a similar situation but in reverse. Head back to the SEAL teams as an officer so you get another 3 or 4 years on the teams before you hang it up.

That is a pretty interesting situation though. It reminds me of the Projo thing about OCS, which always bothers me when I read it (deifying SEALs, and obviously not understanding that it's a SEAL team) . Directly quoted:

He’ll begin yelling as he tells them only a SEAL (the Navy’s “special warfare” unit) could make it through the program without needing to lean on others.

ChiefM

Fastestfoot- Well, to answer your question, there are numerous reasons.
First and foremost, I would be remiss if I did not point out that I am actually very happy in my current position. Having had the opportunity to serve over these past 17 years, I would tell you that serving this nation - in any capacity - is a high honor. I've been around the world. I've seen some of the most opulent places on Earth, as well as some of the most abject poverty this world has to offer. This nation is, by far, the best place to live. To serve her, in my estimation, is to love her- even with all her imperfections.

So, my decision to pursue a commission has nothing to do with being unhappy. I would say that the main reason is actually because I am so very happy to serve. Over the course of my career, I've acquired skill sets which I believe can be leveraged to the Navy's advantage in the Wardroom. I feel the need to contribute to my Navy in the kind of long range forward-thinking ways which typify a Naval Officer. Because I believe I have an ability to bring more to the table in terms of service to my country, I believe I have a responsibility to try to do so.

I chose the OCS route vice LDO for other reasons. I did not enter the Navy with a college degree. I enlisted at 18, knowing that this was something bigger and more important than just 'me'. I spent a large portion of my career in Special Operations, working alongside SEAL and SF Teams as a tactical communicator. This did not leave me much time for college, as the mission was pretty all-inclusive, and my schedule was...well...never a schedule. I wrestled with the idea of applying for LDO (Limited Duty Officer), as that program did not require a degree. However, along with the skill sets that I acquired, I also acquired four beautiful daughters. My father (who is exceptionally aged) was 7 years old when the Great Depression hit. He never finished 7th grade. I decided that it was more important to finish my degree, and to set a very specific example for my girls, then to apply for a commission at that time. So, I took a 'shore tour', went to school full time, and finished my degree. By the time I was ready to apply for commission, I had just a little too much time in to apply for LDO.

To answer another part of your question: I would tell you that a seasoned enlisted man with years of service can bring a LOT to a wardroom. I've seen it, and continue to see it every day. Depending upon the range of skills and experience being brought to bear, an O1E is not actually 'starting over as a butter bar'. As a Chief, a huge part of my job is to train new Junior Officers. They cannot be expected to know every regulation and understand every nuance of their new positions when they walk onboard their new ships for the first time. A Chief Petty Officer who attains a commission is already seasoned, and can be of tremendous value to not only a Commanding Officer, but to junior members of the wardroom as well.

Well, I know I've been a bit verbose in this response, but I felt it deserved more than a cursory reply. I wish you, and everyone else here on this message board, the very best of luck in your attempts to commission as Naval Officers. I can tell you that there is no higher honor than to serve and to lead the men and women of the US Navy into the future.

Jrocksinc

I should have been more specific the IDC boards, i saw other boards being delayed and pushed back but nothing about those

Lucy

Regulations say the board has 7 business days after it meets to have results. The admiral that then has to sign off on them has 5 more days to forward them to CNRC. CNRC is the recruting command so the results should be out within a day or two of CNRC getting them.
So hypothetically (if the board and admiral take their full allotment) results should be available to applicants between the 7th-9th. Doesn't always go that way but there have been recent updates/regulations put in place to make the process more consistent.

The board last November had them out in a week, but that was because of the holiday.