• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
millsra13 - I wanted to let you know that we all appreciate the insight you've provided us with in this thread and others. It's been nice to have someone on the inside that actually knows what's going on. I wish you luck with this board and with the rest of your career. Thanks again....

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
millsra13 - I wanted to let you know that we all appreciate the insight you've provided us with in this thread and others. It's been nice to have someone on the inside that actually knows what's going on. I wish you luck with this board and with the rest of your career. Thanks again....

That's no problem, I'm just trying to pay it forward in hopes that we all are standing at attention getting screamed at by some overly angry Marine Drill Instructor at OCS!

You tore me a new one, but I appreciate your help.

Nah- didn't mean it like that, I was just trying to be funny, guess I got a dry sense of humor. I'm sure you've heard it before that the boards select on a whole person concept, so there is no "one" thing that will get you selected. If you are neck and neck with someone else, that letter from a congressman might just be the tie-breaker. Either way I would definitely try to get one.

GreenLantern330

How much could an LOR from a state representative(s) help?

I would just say that if your state rep is jut gonna sum up your resume to the board and doesn't know you personally, then it might not add a whole lot. I think LORs are meant to come from individuals who know your work on a more personal level than what's just stated on a resume. However, if said state representative only gives out a few number of LORs for this type of stuff and you were to obtain that, then that could be different... if that makes sense. Other than what I just said, millsra is pretty right about not being able to determine the exact weight of it.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I was pretty disappointed knowing that I have to spend another week biting my nails and losing sleep!

Must be your first time applying, I was like that my first time.. Now this being my second time it's been so dragged out I just want to get it over with.. I’ve been waiting a year now. Although, I have been noticing more Navy advertisements maybe subliminal... Or a prediction. :D

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
Must be your first time applying, I was like that my first time.. Now this being my second time it's been so dragged out I just want to get it over with.. I’ve been waiting a year now. Although, I have been noticing more Navy advertisements maybe subliminal... Or a prediction. :D

Tell me about it. When I had given up ALL hope (and not simply forgotten - this was after my first board), guess who I saw out at the local Thai restaurant in NOLA? Taylor Hackford.

Who is Taylor Hackford, you might ask? None other than...THE EMMING EFFING DIRECTOR OF "AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN!"

Damn straight.

howyoulikemenowgoldteethwhenismiletrytotakemeouttheghettobutimstillbuckwild...

Christopher Allen

I would just say that if your state rep is jut gonna sum up your resume to the board and doesn't know you personally, then it might not add a whole lot. I think LORs are meant to come from individuals who know your work on a more personal level than what's just stated on a resume. However, if said state representative only gives out a few number of LORs for this type of stuff and you were to obtain that, then that could be different... if that makes sense. Other than what I just said, millsra is pretty right about not being able to determine the exact weight of it.
Thank you for your help. I received one LOR from a former Governor and White House Chief of Staff, and now have the chance to pursue another LOR from another former Governor of my state. Like most people on this site I'm really just seeking to enforce my confidence over the next month until I hear back. I needed millsra13 dry sense of humor to help wake me up to reality that "it is what it is".

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor

Yep, first time. The problem is that it is probably the only time I can apply. I already had to get the age waiver and if I am a Non-Select and have to wait 6 months, that will most likely put me over the 29 limit by the time they get an OCS opening. And to add to the pressure-cooker, I just had to submit my PTS application this month and the way they are kicking us enlisted folks out I might not have a job in the near future. Obviously there is always NFO or some other designator, but as far as pilot goes, this is probably it.

Kaiser Souza

Millsra13 and all others in this mess we call Officer Candidate selection boards lol good luck for any job you are going for. I am not going for an aviation position but I found this thread to be informational as well as entertaining. This is my first post but I see that Millsra13 seems to be the "inside man" and I got a question for you. I am a prior and I am going in for Intel and SWO. I read your prior post about the boards being moved to the 30th and 31st but I just spoke to a fleet processor working in the same area as you and he is telling me as far as he knows the IDC (intel) boards are convening as scheduled, today? Do you have any other news on this matter and also do you know the quotas for Intel. Thanks for your time and again best of luck. I have been in almost 10 years now and it still amazes me that we seem to always get different stories from everyone, hope you have the cold hard facts.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
I'm sure all the other boards will be happening on time. CNRC does the Pilot, SWO, NFO boards in house, but all other boards are done by their communities so they shouldn't have any delays.

PAG

Wings before rings...
I second what was echoed earlier in that it is really nice to have you aboard millsra13. An inside look at Millington is rare at the very least.
I'm in the midst of changing recruiters and was sad to see my former one go on to bigger and better things. He was a on point all the time and unfortunately I haven't yet had the chance to establish a rapport with my new one.

Anyways, I am a Midshipman in Hampton Roads NROTC (studying underwater basket weaving) and I am also going up in this board.(Like many bumped from April) I am what is called a "College Programmer" which means I do not receive financial backing from the Navy for school, but a Commission. Entering my Junior year has opened several opportunities, as well as compromising situations. I was offered the Captain's "Leadership Scholarship" in which the Navy would pick up my tuition for the next two years. I turned it down however because I am applying for BDCP AND it would require me to take Calc 1&2/ Physics 1&2 which would kill my GPA>Decrease my chances for service selection>Shoot myself in the foot in the long run.

I was picked up for what is called "Advanced Standing" which would give me a small ($350) stipend for the next two years but doing so would disqualify me from going active duty in BDCP. (see attachment-page 3, paragraph 5d) So, I am waiting to sign the paperwork with ROTC until I hear back from this board aiming to get PRO-Rec'd.

Days ago, I was thrown another loop. My XO informed me that because of my class standing, I was being offered a full tuition scholarship paid for by my University- but that I had to sign the paperwork for the Navy first.(No calc and phys required) I told him about my situation and he suggested waiting to sign the paperwork in hopes of being Pre-selected for BDCP with active duty pay. I agreed and ultimately could not resist the opportunity/lure to be pre-selected as a pilot(and pay off some of my current debt-$16,000) and I deferred the SECOND scholarship offered to me. It is a huge, massive(and hopefully not foolish) gamble. A bird in the hand is really worth two in the bush in this case.

My package in summary looks something like:

Male/20
ASTB- 5,6,5 OAR 53 (You guys are killing me with these high scores)
B.S. Communications- 3.77 GPA, Minor- Military Leadership
Hampton Roads NROTC College Programmer
ODU Aviation Club President
Sailing Team Member
2 Hours in a C-172
3 other clubs
Interview- Active Duty O-8 RADM, Scored 10
LOR's from O-6, O-4, O-3, Boss of 5 years, College Professor

I am eagerly awaiting the results of this board. I want and need this badly. I hope to see those of us active in the forums get picked up.

Attachments

• bdcp pa apr_4_25_2011_16_26_14.pdf
    969.9 KB · Views: 3

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Your post

Just curious, but did your recruiter say that BDCP was still open? Not sure how long you've been around these boards, but about a year ago, BDCP was closed through FY13.

I'm no expert on BDCP (if I were, I would've applied for it!), but I believe BDCP recruits for the year in which you'd graduate. Since you're a Junior now, that'd mean you'll graduate in FY13...which is what people were previously told was closed.

Yours isn't the first post I've seen of people applying for BDCP, so I'm curious what your NRD says. Good luck either way!