• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

GreenLantern330

Took the ASTB today (computer version) and got a 7/7/7 59. I am sure the 45 minutes of sleep I managed last night did not help any(so anxious it took my 4 hours to fall asleep...misery!), nor leaving at 6AM to get to my NRD on time. Not as ridiculous as some of the scores I have seen on this thread, but my OR seemed really impressed and now wants to move on finishing my package ASAP (like by next week) to make sure it gets in for August since my GPA is also very high (3.84) and from a very prestigious school. I am very excited that I should be able to make this board with the uncertainty beyond it.

I see that you're from FL. I know that you probably go to school out of state, but please don't tell me this prestigious school is UF.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
I see that you're from FL. I know that you probably go to school out of state, but please don't tell me this prestigious schools is UF.

That is funny because I am from just outside of Gainesville (went to Gainesville HS!), but no, not UF. I just graduated from Cornell (Ivy League). I actually hate UF and grew up a big UMiami Canes fan (think it started as a way to spite my parents who are UF alums).

GreenLantern330

That is funny because I am from just outside of Gainesville (went to Gainesville HS!), but no, not UF. I just graduated from Cornell (Ivy League). I actually hate UF and grew up a big UMiami Canes fan (think it started as a way to spite my parents who are UF alums).

I definitely have respect for Cornell. A lot of people I know that go to UF think of it as if it were an Ivy League, and while it is a good school... it's definitely not an Ivy League. I'm a Nole (not even gonna say it's better than UF or compare it to an Ivy), so of course I had to hate on the Gators haha, but I do like the Canes too.

TheBirdy

pilot
Gator haters...It's great to be a Florida Gator :) I'll agree though, UF is a great school, but definitely not Ivy League material. Though, my OR told me that within the state of Florida, UF is the only tier 1 school..don't know if it is true or not.

GreenLantern330

According to wikipedia (which has it cited at the bottom of the page too), FSU is a Tier 1 research institution (I'm gonna guess we're closer to the bottom of the list though haha).

egd33

pilot
Contributor
I have respect for UF as a school for sure. Having grown up here I mainly detest it because of how the city revolves around the school and everything is about the gators (mainly b/c I am not a gators fan). I have a ton of friends that go to UF/have graduated from UF. I have heard some of the people call it a "Southern Ivy" though, which is always good for a laugh. Florida is not exactly known for its great public education system (when I graduated HS back in 07 I think we were something like 48th). Anyway, there are no "public Ivy's" or Ivy's of whatever region...Ivy does not mean great academic school, it is a sports conference (hence league), which just happens to be made up of 8 great academic universities..aka the ancient 8 (and outside of a few sports like hockey, LAX, wrestling, and Cornell's freak sweet 16 appearance last year, horrible athletic schools since there are no scholarships allowed).

Honestly, UMiami is as good of a school as UF academically as well, but it is private and the tuition is about 10x more. Believe me, if I did not get the grants I did from Cornell, I would have been a gator as well!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Well, I met with my recruiter this afternoon and filled out all of the paperwork. I'm officially in for this board unless they cancel it again.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Someone on NavyOCS (via email from their NRD) said SNA and Cyber Warfare for August, and SWO is closed through FY13.

Also, this is confirmed through NYUSN (not the SWO part, however).

Screw NYUSN...

ANyway, my recruiter confirmed the no NFO but he said there was pilot, Cyber warfare, and a third one... Surface something.. Can't remember. Wasn't really interested it so I tuned out at that point.

GreenLantern330

I have respect for UF as a school for sure. Having grown up here I mainly detest it because of how the city revolves around the school and everything is about the gators (mainly b/c I am not a gators fan). I have a ton of friends that go to UF/have graduated from UF. I have heard some of the people call it a "Southern Ivy" though, which is always good for a laugh. Florida is not exactly known for its great public education system (when I graduated HS back in 07 I think we were something like 48th). Anyway, there are no "public Ivy's" or Ivy's of whatever region...Ivy does not mean great academic school, it is a sports conference (hence league), which just happens to be made up of 8 great academic universities..aka the ancient 8 (and outside of a few sports like hockey, LAX, wrestling, and Cornell's freak sweet 16 appearance last year, horrible athletic schools since there are no scholarships allowed).

Honestly, UMiami is as good of a school as UF academically as well, but it is private and the tuition is about 10x more. Believe me, if I did not get the grants I did from Cornell, I would have been a gator as well!

I'm surprised we're not 50th now. Rick Scott along with all the other Florida legislatures just cut back education funding by over a billion dollars.... you know, because our education was so great to begin with that it didn't need any more money to improve it or maintain it's current level of suck.