• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
I asked.

No, really. There were steps involved in the "asking," but essentially that's what I did. Now I asked with humility and respect, and there is a proper way to go about it (don't just start emailing random Admirals! I've seen it done, and the result was BAD BAD BAD).

These folks want to see us succeed, and if we get all 10s, they believe we're going to. The O-10 in question was the one who suggested going back to school, and has in general been an awesome mentor, although we didn't know each other before I asked for the interview. My ASTB is good but not great, and my undergraduate GPA is the same. With work on the PBBS and the MA, I've gained opportunities to show both academic ability and leadership positions, and I'm glad he was willing to help. That whole person concept should matter, and I think my post-BA work (and the teaching career I had before it) shows I am an asset. Who I was five years ago (the person with the 3.08 and quit NROTC) no longer exists.

What did I have to lose? If he had said no, I wouldn't have been any worse off. Being able to gauge risks and take initiative is a valuable skill for an officer... or so someone once told me. :)

fjauliveld

I fall under PTS, thankfully. VP-47, HI must've been nice. I was up in Whidbey for 4.5 years. What's your rate?

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
I fall under PTS, thankfully. VP-47, HI must've been nice. I was up in Whidbey for 4.5 years. What's your rate?

I'm an AE (for now). I was at Whidbey for A school and C school (when the hurricane demolished Pensacola)...wasn't for me, but some people love it. Hi was a different story! I hope I get to go back there someday. Luckily I haven't hit 7 years yet so I missed the ERB, but it's not looking good for AEs.

fjauliveld

AEs are getting hit hard by the ERB. Good luck with PTS, when you come up. Fortunately my year group is undermanned, and I received a quota first time up. Have you been looking into conversions? I've done everything to qualify for every CT rate, just in case. LOL. I took the DLAB 2 weeks ago and blew it out the water, so to speak. Cut a 131. Completed the NEETS module requirement for CTN, and my ASVAB scores were always good enough for any rate. I was simply trying to be as marketable as possible. I'd much rather get selected for OCS, though.

Lucy

Ok, so hopefully you all know I am not one to say anything rumorwise, and maybe millsra will be able to confirm, as will I also check with a source I have at Millington but...

Notice went out to the NDR headquaters today that the ONLY boards for general officer that will be happening in August/scheduled at this point, are for Pilot and Supply. Heard this from my OR, OP, Officer in Charge, and Commander at my NRD which is the headquaters for the entire NW region. No apps for SWO/NFO/IDC are being allowed, and new boards have not been scheduled.

This was new information as of today, having only made my appt to finish my packet yesturday. The OR/OIC were both upset and even a few curses were heard so I have a feeling this was a surprise and from a big source.

As always, this can change, do whatever your ORs are saying to do, and be 100% ready (still finished my packet just in case something changes) but at this point its a no go. I'm betting that with such low numbers available the board wasn't viewed as needed, of course without worry about "jacking us around" as my OR put it.

Sorry all.

Lucy

I know, oh I know and I would love to say ha, jk, but at this point that was my update. I would be more than glad to have had my NRD be wrong everytime before now to have this not be the case but it hasn't been that way.

But on the upside, that means that August was not for FY13 at all which hopefully means they'll have to have a board for FY13 by at least Janurary/six months out from July 2012 (although SWO might still be full).

Sigh.

Seafort

Upside for you. Anything in 2012 is too little too late for me except INTEL. GENOFF is gone, and that's gonna hurt.

MGoBrew11

pilot
It has been said before, but I really wish they could just pick for FY 13 right now anyways, rules be damned. I really don't care if I got selected today and was told don't report until 2015. I just want a solid "yes" or "no". Not "maybe we will figure it out later, maybe not. Oh and in the meantime by the way, all of your documents could expire by no fault of your own and you'll have to start over again."

But such is life in the military I suppose.

Lucy

Hope the board is before Janurary than Seafort, really do. Maybe waivers will be extended since you've had apps in for so long.

Oh yes, brenbuck, I agree 100%! Just want that yes, they can make it take however long after that, but doesn't seem to work that way.

Read/found in the manual for whoever wants to know. If a non-select your LORS/Interviews are good for whenever you resubmit, they do not need new signitures. However, if your app has not made it to a board, they are good for 6 months.

VNE

I'm not one to contribute to the rumor mill either, but my recruiter told me the same thing today. I usually don't mention what he says on this forum, because I can't confirm it. But what Lucy said matches what he said. He also added that this August board will be the only Pilot board for the fiscal year. Not sure if it is true, and all of the loyal Airwarriors are well aware that this could change any minute. So it looks like were all going to have to sit tight until Big Navy works out the kinks.

Seafort

I have been at this since December of 2008, and I have seen exactly ONE series of boards in all that time. 90% of that time is file and refile and rerefile and rererefile applications for boards that never come. I'm about at the age limit.

I've been rather patient, really, and very understanding. I must admit that I'm losing both my patience and my understanding.

GreenLantern330

Does anyone know if the Marines are having the same issues with board closures? At this point, I just either want to be a Suppo or Financial Management officer... This blows for the Navy, though. I finally get my medical issues resolved and literally just got back in town today with the documents I needed to be on my merry way with my application. I know that I shouldn't be complaining because I'm going for supply, which is still open, but I feel like I'm nowhere near competitive enough despite my OR's confidence in me.