• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 09 Boards

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
Went to Bethesda and was evaluated for the LASIK in Aviation Study.

Three issues did arise that I did not plan on, but there were no major showstoppers either...

1. I can see at 20/15 and 20/20, however the doc marked it "minus one" since I missed a letter in each row.

2. A topographical measurement of my eye measured 7.03. The Navy regs state it must fall between 3 and 7. However, the Navy only measures to the 10th. I was thinking, "Really...?"

3. I have minor lattice degeneration which is common for people who were nearsighted. It is waived on a case-by-case basis. The good news is I have no tears or holes in that tissue, but it is still something that might require further attention.

Yet again, more uncertainty and waiting. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Hoping they can give me the go to start OCS with an aviation designator at least, and, as these are not major DQ items in and of themselves, resolve them later at Newport or Pensacola.

My OR doesn't seem terribly concerned and the doctor who performed all the testing said that there was nothing major but that it needed to be documented. Who knows.

Good news though is N3M is caught up and turn around is quick, so hopefully I hear something next week.

Come on 06DEC! Good luck to those still waiting.

FLY NAVY.

bjschilling

Still waiting for FS here, but went out to Fallon NAS to talk to some of the Pilots and NFO's. While going through the main gate sure as shit there go two F-35s. I almost hit the barrier. Was the coolest thing I have seen in awhile. Thought I was dreaming so I checked with my buddy, a chief at the ATC center, and he confirmed it was two F-35s and a growler followed them out. Anyway got to love the waiting game.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
So a little update on the hell that is my situation currently...

Basically, before I chose to go Pilot/NFO, i was a Nuke candidate. Didn't get selected to go down for interview, but had already had everything submitted for a TS clearance for it. Fast forward to now. Since I am now going Pilot, I had to get bumped down to a Secret clearance, or instead of an SSBI, I need a NACLAC now. Because all that time passed, my account expired and thats also why I had to get my prints redone.

So a letter was sent out at the beginning of this month that said, "If the following people do not have XXXXX finished/cleared up by the end of the month, they will be dropped from the program." :eek: An OCS hitlist if you will...

Needless to say I had been asking my OR and Processor if there were any changes needed to my SF-86 and both said no. The reason for that was, for some reason, somewhere in the NASIS system there is a ghost account with my info that the CNRC IT dept. can't find and/or delete. No one can find it. This ghost is preventing me from submitting the new SF-86 with the new questions to JPAS so I can sign the sig pages and submit.

Fast Forward again to this week. I call my OR at the beginning of the week, actually, I went to visit him. And he called down and we again talked to guys at CNRC who assured us that this would all be fixed Friday (read: today). Fast forward to this morning. I call my OR and he explains the above situation with the ghost account. He said everyone in the office and himself and at CNRC have been working on this all morning and that this is no longer a waiting game and that everyone is being proactive about it. But he said unfortunately this "ghost" computer glitch is causing this entire problem. He said they called the Pilot Program Manager and have been speaking with him all morning as well about the situation and that he is well aware. I asked him what was going to happen now since the entire NRD (as most are) is on leave next week due to the holiday? MY OR then replied that this would absolutely not have any bearing for me to be dropped because of computer glitch in the system, which for the most part was good to hear. My OR then said he'd call me this afternoon to give me an update on what's happening.

Fast forward to a few hours later. My OR calls me and says that after talking to the Program Manager that he is going to write a letter on my behalf explaining what is happening and to just go ahead with the Final Selection process and that this would not affect my OCS date at all. I start to feel a little bit better. However, I haven't been assigned an OCS date yet and they're not sure when that will happen now.

So that is the limbo that I am in right now. Not gonna lie, this fucking sucks to know that a small glitch in NASIS is causing this big of an issue. I'm incredibly thankful for my OR though and the other officers who have been VERY proactive about getting this handled up to this point, along with the various other issues i've gone through in the past months.

So I have no clue when I'll class up or receive my FS letter to swear-in at this point. They said they are going to continue working to fix the problem, but that they are no longer going to just wait for it to be fixed, i.e. - keep delaying me here when I'm basically ready to go.

I guess we'll see what happens from here. The waiting is NOT the issue here. The issue with me is I have several things, financially and job-wise, that are on hold or will be running out soon and I need to get into a class ASAP.

That's the beginning of my weekend. Hopefully all of yours turn out better and congrats to those of you leaving in a week or so.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
This has been a rollercoaster ride. I am not new to the G and these hiring processes, but holy hell.

Last we left off, I was sent to get hit with a battery of eye tests at the National Naval Hospital at Bethesda for the LASIK study. There, I realized that things can be done to the eye that would make one's stomache turn as well as make some sci-fi shit look mundane.

There I was told that I would probably have to wear contacts to fine tune my vision, but it was nothing that would PDQ me. Also, I was told that one measurement was outside the range deemed suitable by the Navy.

I got in a ready posture and called the FLT DOC in charge of the study. Just made a cold call.

Let me say this, the "customer service" and the personal attention is beyond remarkable. I hope to hell that there are more guys out there like him, both in the Navy as well as the greater US military. This officer that I have been working with is remarkable, and I can't see me getting this far without someone willing to really put their nose to the ground. If I make this, it's vastly, due to the efforts of this FLT DOC.

In speaking with this FLT DOC, he said that the measurement was of concern but would run it to ground and speak with the civilian doctor who initially conducted the flight test battery at Bethesda. He said to call him back, and I waited patiently.

Come last Tuesday, I get two telephone calls. The FLT DOC said that my packet arrived on his desk for review and he would get on it. Told me to call him back Wednesday of next week (yesterday). Later that afternoon, my recruiter called, saying that NAMI got back and PDQ'ed me for aviation but said I was a go for all other programs.

I was crushed and confused and angry at myself. It didn't make sense.

I jumped the gun and called on Tuesday and the FLT DOC said that the testing looked to confirm the PDQ. The measurement was far enough outside the parameter that I would be a no-go for all flight. I had been expecting that and thanked him profusely for his time and effort in handling my case. He said he needed to check one more thing and would call me to follow-up (no time frame).

I called my OR, asked to get a packet together for SWO and was looking at flight programs in the USAF.

Lastnight, while filling out some USAF paperwork and downing a few brews, I get a call from a San Diego number. "What the fuck" shot through my mind.

It was the FLT DOC. He said they were looking over my packet and realized that some of the measurements were distorted because my eyes had been so friggin dialated. The result was a net enlargement of the eye.

It would directly affect the measurement which appeared to kill my flight career before it even started.

He said, off hand, that it looked like that the mathematical adjustment (ratio) would bring my eyes back into parameters by a narrow f-ing margin. It would be close enough that he could sign-off on my packet. No promises but I doubt he would have called had there not been a realistic chance of this happening.

He also said that he had no idea why NAMI gave me the PDQ. He spoke with a contact there and they said they didn't even see the medical packet yet because the LASIK had to be cleared by San Diego.

HOLY SHIT.

I don't want to get too excited and am holding off on dreams of night traps, gold wings with anchors and three acre long flight decks, but man, what a stroke of luck. I have kept my OR in the loop and he's rooting for this to happen.

Hanging on for dear life here. Unfortunately, it looks like OCS (if I get approved for flight) will be in January, and I will miss the 06DEC2009 party. Whatever.

Be persistent, confident, humble and respectful. Don't be afraid to make those calls that place a person with a packet. Had I not made those calls, who knows how this would have transpired.

I can say that this experience has been one of learning and some serious emotional testing, but it is so reassuring to know that there are those officers and enlisted who are dedicated to giving those who want to fly and serve every fighting chance available.

Stay tuned.

FLY NAVY.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
I had the epiphany today that whatever happens, I am staying with the Navy.

Holding out with a glimmer of hope and a little bit of luck...

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I had the epiphany today that whatever happens, I am staying with the Navy.

Holding out with a glimmer of hope and a little bit of luck...

Good on you driver.....that's the attitude.

So in light of my situation, everything has been fixed, or actually it was last week or so but just getting around to talking about it. Long story short, sig pages were sent in and my OR and the OPO were in talks with the program manager to speed everything up once my security investigation opened up. It did this past week, so that's all clear. My OR called me this morning to tell me that everything had been forwarded to the Program Manager and I can FINALLY expect my FS next week probably.

Looks like Getaway and I are the last few to get our FS, but to everyone in the upcoming Dec. 6th class, good luck and we'll see you there shortly afterwards!

overspeed550

NPA A-Pool
Thanks dudes! Sitting in a hotel room not far from the base, ready to show up tomorrow.

@ Getaway, that's the dedication it takes to get through all this- keep it up. After that, OCS will seem like a cakewalk for you I'm sure!

SWOHopeful

I'm right there with you pike. I was suppose to be gone but I had to tape for bodyfat again and that was all done but I didn't receive my letter in time. They have been emailing and working with the program manager. Hopefully we hear something on Monday.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
Thanks to all for the encouragement.

The same words are returned. Everyone has their battles and issues to fight.

To those out of the AUG boards who are now at OCS, give them hell.

SWO and Pike, we'll have our day. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

SWO, I thought you were locked for the 06DEC class? Guess I might have missed a previous post.

Patience and persistence.

SWOHopeful

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

The same words are returned. Everyone has their battles and issues to fight.

To those out of the AUG boards who are now at OCS, give them hell.

SWO and Pike, we'll have our day. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

SWO, I thought you were locked for the 06DEC class? Guess I might have missed a previous post.

Patience and persistence.

Yeah so did I, thank goodness I knew not to do anything BEFORE I actually swore in. I had to go in and get a new BF taping done about 3 weeks ago, and basically threw everything into calamity. Now we're just waiting on a letter to come on down. I'm praying for January 3rd though!