• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attrition

jbe120

I have a question for you guys in Primary... What has the Navy been doing with Primary attrites in the recent timeframe? I'm in IFS now (the syllabus has been revamped as of a month ago). And while I don't hate flying I feel I defintely am not enjoying it as much as some of the other SNA's. If I stick with it and goto to primary but then attrite there what happens??? Are you given redesignation options or are you kicked out of the Navy? Is the service commitment 4 years from the date of DOR or commissioning date??

Rg9

pilot
Stick with it, man. I did my first flight in IFS and thought to myself, "is this what I really want to do?" It was all new and wasn't fun (because it was hard and I sucked at it). Trust me, though, that when you get better, it gets more enjoyable. I think your feelings are normal, to be honest, even if it doesn't seem like others are feeling that way (they might be and are not showing it).

Also, just to warn you, Primary will be hard, and it will suck... until your solo. Although never serious about it, the thought of quitting crossed my mind a few times at the beginning. After my solo, however, I loved flying. It's one of those things that, once you get good at it, all the hard work and stress that went into the process comes out in an enjoyment and fulfillment in flying. I ended up finishing Primary #1 in my class. So... STICK WITH IT!

To answer your questions...

Your time commitment started when you were commissioned. Theoretically, if it took you long enough, you could get all the way to just before winging and get out of the Navy because your commitment is up.

DOR's (from a-pool, API, Primary, etc.) usually get stash jobs for a bit while they try to redesignate. You put in a package for what you want (seems like most go for restricted line jobs), but are at the mercy of "the needs of the Navy." I don't know who this all applies to, but a guy I know wasn't able to finish Primary, and they told him he's on a standby list for the IA program for 30 days, but they also said it's a very low probability that he'd get picked up for it.

Hope this helps.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Your time commitment started when you were commissioned.

Sort of.

While you're in the program, your time hasn't "started". Your commitment will start the day you get winged. (Today for me). If you DOR/attrite, you'll get credit for time served go from there.

-Bubba

Rg9

pilot
Uh... as I understand it, you start your 8/6 year commitment upon winging. Until that time, the only commitment you have is from your commission. The 8/6 years are a concurrent commitment, meaning they overlap the one you already have.

It would be good to see some official documentation on this topic, though, since our two knowledges conflict.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Its all a matter of semantics. Looking back, what you said was essentially correct...

If he did DOR/Attrite, they'd count his commitment from his commissioning date. I think we may have said the same thing, just differently.

MrSaturn

Contributor
What has the Navy been doing with Primary attrites in the recent timeframe? If I stick with it and goto to primary but then attrite there what happens??? Are you given redesignation options or are you kicked out of the Navy? Is the service commitment 4 years from the date of DOR or commissioning date??

This is exactly what happens for all DOR/ Attrites/ NPQs at Corpus from Primary.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=344690#post344690

My clock started when I commisioned.

But I think your getting ahead of yourself. Work hard and enjoy the flying.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Flying has it's fun parts... But the learing bit can be a pain in the ass from time to time, as it is for most everyone. Just press, and see how things come along. There will probably be plenty of times in flight school that you won't want to fly (like after looking at the schedule the night before). I know a bunch of people who feel the same way.

Just for some perspective: I really didn't like primary most of the time, but there were some good parts in there. Also, I'm not a big fan of advanced right now either. Lots of dudes I run with say the same stuff. Some guys absolutely love all of this stuff and others fake it (which isn't a bad game either, I guess).

I figure you're normal.

Rg9

pilot
Its all a matter of semantics. Looking back, what you said was essentially correct...

If he did DOR/Attrite, they'd count his commitment from his commissioning date. I think we may have said the same thing, just differently.
Oh, ok. We were saying the same thing, then.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I was super stressed out in Primary, much less so in Advanced. Only time I thought about quitting was once in Primary after an atrocious BI sim with one of the Horsemen, and once after a little loss of confidence in Advanced RIs.

That said, IFS was a huge wakeup to me that there was a lot to learn and that we'd barely scratched the surface. One of my friends, a SNFO, told me she literally hated IFS (old syllabus) after she'd attrited from API. Take that for what you will. Anything you're just learning to do is frustrating at first; your desire to get good at it is what gets you through it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

This is not necessarily true. "They" have the option to start your time when you DOR. It was on the table for a member of AW here, and last I heard, it went through, but can't confirm that. Usually they're going to let you go after 4 years, but it changes w/ the needs of the Navy. Back when I was a student, they didn't count time in flight school.

They can do this legally, as you don't sign your contract for "4 years." You sign it for 4 years of active duty and then 4 years of IRR. Remember to read the fine print.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I stand corrected. Looks like (and i knew this) TheMan can do anything he wants...

I explained it the way it was explained to me. However, I can see why TheMan would want to start your commitment after DORing... The Navy's got to get their money's worth out of you somehow..

Cheers,
Bubba

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
"They" have the option to start your time when you DOR...Usually they're going to let you go after 4 years, but it changes w/ the needs of the Navy

They can do this legally, as you don't sign your contract for "4 years." You sign it for 4 years of active duty and then 4 years of IRR. Remember to read the fine print.

interesting. Is that due to there being fine print that explicitly states they have the option to determine what time your on active duty actually counts as active duty? If you commission and spend a year going through waiting and training, then DOR, you were still on active duty during that time. i would have thought that year counted.

but then again i didn't read the fine print. it's ok though, 2014 isn't that far away.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
interesting. Is that due to there being fine print that explicitly states they have the option to determine what time your on active duty actually counts as active duty? If you commission and spend a year going through waiting and training, then DOR, you were still on active duty during that time. i would have thought that year counted.

Nowadays it's because if they doubt your stated reasons for DORing, they do what they think is best for the Navy. It's a rare thing, I'm just saying it can happen. Back when I was going through, it was much more common just because they needed the bodies in other billets/designators.

phrogpilot73

The way I thought at worked (and probably a little different in Marine land, because of TBS) - your clock starts at commissioning. Your clock pauses when you start API, and then starts from scratch when you get winged. If you DOR, it picks up where it left off when it paused at API...