• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attrition

FSF17

pilot
From my copy of the Aviation Officer Candidate Program Service Agreement....

1. Having volunteered for Aviation Officer Candidate training under the Aviation Officer Candidate Program, I hereby acknowledge:

h. That:

(4) I shall serve (4) years from the date of disenrollment, in the event I fail to qualify as a Naval Aviator or otherwise withdraw from flight training.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The way I thought at worked (and probably a little different in Marine land, because of TBS) - your clock starts at commissioning. Your clock pauses when you start API, and then starts from scratch when you get winged. If you DOR, it picks up where it left off when it paused at API...

I don't know what the hell you guys do. Personally, I haven't had to deal w/ it.

(4) I shall serve (4) years from the date of disenrollment, in the event I fail to qualify as a Naval Aviator or otherwise withdraw from flight training.

Well there you go. That's even more clear.

jride200

I did my first flight in IFS.

I ended up finishing Primary #1 in my class.

Can the forum please comment upon the experience of flight school, specifically for those having little or no prior flight experience? OCS date in hand, I have approximately 6 hours of flight instruction, thats it.

I currently have the opinion that Navy flight training is very comprehensive, and that any initial differences in skill between those with and without prior flight experice are quickly negated. I keep telling myself to trust the training and to trust my own drive to succeed. Any comments?

JR

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I keep telling myself to trust the training and to trust my own drive to succeed. Any comments?

JR

Bingo. Just go in with that attitude and you should be fine. Big Navy has figured out a method to the madness, so even if you're in a class with a dude that has 1000 hours you both will be instructed the same and will be held to the exact same standards. Plus, they start you out at scratch and build it up, so everyone has the exact same chance.

Just have fun!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Can the forum please comment upon the experience of flight school, specifically for those having little or no prior flight experience? OCS date in hand, I have approximately 6 hours of flight instruction, thats it.

I currently have the opinion that Navy flight training is very comprehensive, and that any initial differences in skill between those with and without prior flight experice are quickly negated. I keep telling myself to trust the training and to trust my own drive to succeed. Any comments?

JR

Run a search for "prior flight time" or something similar. There's TONS of posts about this.

Dennis

C-17 Co
I have a question for you guys in Primary... What has the Navy been doing with Primary attrites in the recent timeframe? I'm in IFS now (the syllabus has been revamped as of a month ago). And while I don't hate flying I feel I defintely am not enjoying it as much as some of the other SNA's.
At the risk of repating what others have said (I'll admit I didn't read every post on this thread) DONT quit now. I absolutely hated IFS (AF IFT, whatever.. this was a couple years back.. same basic idea). I had no clue what I was doing and didn't much care for that lawnmower engine that was keeping me in the air, just barely. I can also say that its likely some of the other SNAs you talk about aren't enjoying it as much as they say they are. Its frustrating learning to fly, even if you're fast learner. They probably just have the kind of attitude that this is what they've always wanted to do so they BETTER like it. I saw a lot of people even more frustrated by the learning curve of flying (espesically in primary) than they would have been if not for that boyhood dream that was being muddied up by the difficulty of achieving it. Me? I didn't want to be a pilot until maybe the 6th flight in Primary. I sort of fell into this whole thing and was very unsure if it was for me. And now I ABSOLUTELY love it. I can't imagine doing anything else. Bottom line, do NOT quit early w/o a good reason. And not being sure if its something you're going to like is not a good reason. That'll change when you get over the learning curve. A guy in my class quit after aerobatics because he was terrified of flying. He made it that far dreading every flight and hoping it would get better. Took a lot of courage to do that, and I admire him for trying. Ended up not being for him, but that's the kind of attitude you have to have. Another friend of mine was also terrified and was having a HUGELY difficult time learning everything in contact. He confided to me that he wanted to quit, asked if it got better. I told him to stick to it until he couldn't stand it anymore. He now flies C-17s with me and loves it (and is a hell of a pilot to boot).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

JR

You want to know what the secret is? Just relax. Know your stuff but relax. Unfortunetly easier said than done. Although I'm new a new IP in primary, I've instructed before and I can just tell those who aren't relaxed from the get go. It shows in the brief and follows them into the air. I don't yell, raise my voice, I'm calm in the cockpit, there to teach and help. Some guys just get so worked up and it affects their performance. Don't think about it, your time will come and deal with it then. Focus on what you have to do now.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor

JR
Dont sweat prior flight time - this coming from a guy who had a big fat ZERO in his logbook prior to IFS. Yes, some guys with prior time have an initial leg up just being familiar with flying, comms, terms, etc ... but you will catch up with no problems if you put some work into it. Some guys with instrument time are a leg up in RIs, but once again you will catch up in no time. Study hard, focus on the next flight and prep for a few flights in the future and you will do well. Best of luck.