• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attrition Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapalmRat

I was going to just ask Pat this question but I'm sure a lot of people are wanting to know this info. What's the attrition rate like through all of those schools?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NapalmRat said:
I was going to just ask Pat this question but I'm sure a lot of people are wanting to know this info. What's the attrition rate like through all of those schools?

Are you talking about NFO flight school as a whole? I believe it is historically 20% for all flight training (pilot and NFO), though I think it ebbs and flows with time. I imagine the only people who could answer that for sure is CNATRA.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These days on the pilot side I believe it hovers at around 12-15%.

wusappenin

None
i p-graded a couple weeks ago. for our class, we started with about 22 and of that 22, 5 or 6 have washed out completely. some people roll in and out for various reasons but id say about 6 have completely failed out.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
out of my original OCS class, a third of the pilots and half of the FO's washed out (DOR/NPQ/Attrite) thus far.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Those numbers sound accurate... 12-15% for pilot and around 20% for NFO... I remember hearing those a few months ago...

I'd qualify that by saying that I'm not sure how many of those are honest-to-goodness "I can't do it" attritees. With the vast majority there's some other underlying issue... i.e. "I don't really wanna be a FO"... "I don't wanna ride in the E-2"... "I don't wanna lose my cookies one more time :eek: "...

The number who really want to be there who just don't make it through due to pure lack of ability is pretty small in comparison. Don't get me wrong, they DO exist-- I can think of 6 or 7 right now-- but it's not like every 5th dude. The Navy/Marine corps will do their damndest to get you through if you don't give up on yourself.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
I have seen like one guy that washed out. He made two flights and was clawing his own eyes out cause he was sacred ****less to fly. He was one that prob couldn't make it anyways. I mean who downs the first simulator brief for FOs? And then the first brief for contacts? Anyways, I haven't seen that many wash outs and I just finished up primary. One reason the washouts might increase however is the lack of panel nav spots and the resulting required jet scores.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
We had like 5 pilots in my OCS class and only 1 or 2 are still in the program... 1 DOR'd 2 attrited and 1 went permenent med down. All in the span of a year.

Now that I think about it we had a more pilots that that... maybe 8 or 9?

We had like 12 pilots in may OCS class and so far 8 out of the 12 have gotten jets, the rest of the guys are still waiting to select or finish primary. Had about 5 FO's two DORed. None have washed out, pilot or FO.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Of five NFO hopefuls from my OCS class, three are still in the program. Once got in a lot of trouble for doing something stupid, and the other DOR'd because he found another opportunity elsewhere.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like some others have touched on, don't read too much into attrition rate. Most of it is historically DOR and NPQ (though... with the new higher standards... that may change).

ip568

None
Per this week's "Navy Times," a bunch of new NAs was just sent directly to the Reserves (2 years active Reserves, 6 years drilling Reserves). There are about 15% more new NAs than seats for them. Not the case for NFOs -- yet -- at any rate.

Navy is seriously over its pilot needs at present, what with S-3s and F-14s being dumped. I personally believe the MMA will also be canceled, leaving VP people out in the cold in a few years.

NavyNFO

I get paid for this???
ip568 said:
I personally believe the MMA will also be canceled, leaving VP people out in the cold in a few years.

I'm new here and just curious what your belief is based on. Budgets come and go but this program isn't going to be canceled. If you're VP and have access to intel, you know as well as I do that our mission in the current and future state of affairs is such that there will be a crititcal demand on MPRA for the foreseeable future. With S-3's gone from the ASW arena, we're it. Anyone in Congress on the armed services or intelligence committee would agree that MMA is a must have. It's not like JSF where multiple airframes from different branches can serve the same role.

Status
Not open for further replies.