• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB Questions

Conaway

I'm still waiting. I think it's been delayed because I took it the day before Thanksgiving. My OSA said I should know by next week. I'll let you guys know.

Also, I just got back from Pensacola last night. I passed my physical and I qualed medically for pilot. Even with numerous injuries I'm good to go. (broken wrist, broken tibia, hernia surgery, and two shoulder surgeries) All they want is a confirmation letter from my recent shoulder surgery saying I'm ok and I have full range of motion. I'm pumped!

Tombstone

Conaway,

It's me Tombstone and I am as well getting ready to take the ASTB for a second time. The gouge you used was it the Marine Gouge from the columbia wedsite or was it something else, and did you use the arco book as well. GIve me all the info you can so that hopefully we can get our wings together, I have passed all the other things as well now I just got to get a better score on this test! SO HELP A BROTHA OUT!!

Tombstone

Conaway

Conaway,

It's me Tombstone and I am as well getting ready to take the ASTB for a second time. The gouge you used was it the Marine Gouge from the columbia wedsite or was it something else, and did you use the arco book as well. GIve me all the info you can so that hopefully we can get our wings together, I have passed all the other things as well now I just got to get a better score on this test! SO HELP A BROTHA OUT!!

Tombstone

No problem. I can tell you what I think helped me, but I cannot tell you what mistakes I made on the test because I still don't know my scores. Gonna do my best based on my standing.

First things first. The ARCO book is for the most part, useless. Believe it or not, it doesn't tell you very much in the way of information. The most I got out of that book was the format of the test, a study test, and a practice test. To tell you the truth, I did horrible when I took that practice test. It is good to learn how the test works and that's honestly about it.

If you want good information, use the Marine Gouge from Columbia that you talked about. That's some good stuff. Now you can use my method as a guide if you want, but remember I still don't know my scores, so what I did might not have been enough.

I printed out the entire Navy Gouge: physics, flight concepts, weather, the whole shabang. I read it all! Even if I didn't remember it, because I know I didn't remember anything but the main concepts (which is all you need for the test) They don't go into as much detail on the actual ASTB as they might lead you to believe. I also used the boating website to learn the boating "right of way", parts of a boat, signs and warning signs, etc. I had a few seamanship questions, the one's I couldn't remember really had to do with the signs. There were also some easy questions, like what part is the bow?

I went through the Marine Gouge twice, the one with the F-18 on it and has all Mech Comprehension questions. That presents foundation concepts for the MCT portion. Also, you will want to use the ASTB Prep-Test. I believe it is also on the columbia site. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can post it here.
It has bunch of things about the Aviation/Nautical portion and it was good for me to learn from. I didn't do so hot when I took it, but I learned from it and corrected my mistakes afterwards.

The most helpful material in my opinion: ASTB Prep-Test, Marine Gouge (mechanical guide), and the columbia website in general.

Now, as I've said at least three times, I don't have my scores yet. However, I don't think it was as a beast of a test as everyone makes it out to be. In my opinion, the study material I used was by far harder than the actual test.

If I had to give advice to study certain topics for each section, it would be:

1) Math/Verbal - algebra, geometry, and reading comprehension.

2) Mechanical - basic physics = simple machines, basics of fluid, liquid, and gas physics, equilibrium, they seem to like pulley questions and pendeulum questions. The fluid physics is focused on flight itself. How a wing produces lift, etc.

3) Spatial Appreception - this is purely being able to visualize in 3D. If you can't do it naturally, you better practice, practice, practice. I am able to visualize very well and so I missed 1/35 of these questions when doing the practice test. I think this section is the easiest way to boost your pilot score. It's quick, it doesn't require analysis, and it makes the test a little less grouling. Just remember to use the coast-line as a reference point, that's my best suggestion.

4) Aviation and Nautical - study the know your boat website from columbia. Learn about major events in aviation and space history and learn some Marine Corps history, i.e. who is John Paul Jones, or who was the first man in space? Also learn, flight concepts, parts of an airplanne and parts of a boat. I had some questions about clouds and a few weather questions. Just know the types of clouds and what altitudes they form at. There was a question or two on engine performance. You can find that material in the Navy Gouge. I think the most important thing to know as far as flight goes here, is understanding Angle-of-Attack, and how adjusting the control surfaces effects what the airplane does. This is purely a knowledge test. You know it, or you don't.

5) Aviation Supplemental - combo of all other sections.

Just remember, focus on core concepts and chill out before the test. Don't work it up in your head. It's all about knowing considerably more information, concepts, and methods than they can possibly ask you. Studying for this test, is for the most part, time consuming, not difficult. I hope this helps (...and I hope I didn't get like a 3/3/3 or something because then that would make me look bad right about now. Haha.). Oh, and don't forget about the Sticky's in the ASTB forum!

badger16

None
Spazaway,(Charlie Conaway from the Mighty Ducks?) :D

where did you find the Navy gouge document you were talking about? i've only head of the marine gouge.Secondy good luck with your scores, hope everything goes well!

collegegrad

Does anyone how long it takes to receive ASTB scores? (pencil & paper test) I took the test on 11/15/06 at my local recruiter, in the Los Angeles area.

It's been nearly 3 weeks since I've taken the test and my recruiter says he hasn't gotten the scores yet. I figured it might be delayed due to Thanksgiving, but I feel as though I've been waiting for quite some time.

Conaway

My OSO told me it takes two days and they only grade them on Mon and Wed. I thought I would have already had mine too, but not yet. I took it the day before Thanksgiving. My OSA said I should have it this week, but I'm kind of doubting it.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
The good thing about a long wait:

If you don't do well you can take it again immediately! :icon_tong

laurahare

I retook the ASTB on the 16th and had my scores on the 27th. I too thought that Thanksgiving would slow them down, but I got it 4 days sooner than when I took it in Sep.

I emailed the lady at NOMI and she emailed me back the results, but it has to be to a .edu or .mil address.

jeanmoore@nomi.med.navy.mil

Be sure to include your ssn.

Conaway

I retook the ASTB on the 16th and had my scores on the 27th. I too thought that Thanksgiving would slow them down, but I got it 4 days sooner than when I took it in Sep.

I emailed the lady at NOMI and she emailed me back the results, but it has to be to a .edu or .mil address.

jeanmoore@nomi.med.navy.mil

Be sure to include your ssn.

So I just email them from my school email and give my name and SSN and that's it, they'll give me my scores? Nice!

laurahare

So I just email them from my school email and give my name and SSN and that's it, they'll give me my scores? Nice!
Yep that simple, I realized the my recruiter is REALLY busy, so I took it on myself to find out. She just emails them out if they are there with in minutes!

collegegrad

Thanks laurahare, I'll keep my fingers crossed and I hope that I did well. And I'll post a reply when I get my score.

EvilGN

pilot
I understand everyone's desire to do well on that test just like any other test, but gouging yourself up, and taking the test multiple times is just inflating what is designed to be a predictor of how well you will do in flight school. Basically, just because you end up getting high scores such as 8s and 9s after taking it 3 times, that does not mean you will not struggle in API, or on the flight side. I do not have exact data, but most people that end up failing twice in API and end up in a Progress Review Board, have scores in the 3-5 range. Then there are those who had higher scores, and most of the time its painfully obvious that they either gouged themselves up or took the ASTB several times.

I would also like to say, that your ASTB score is really just the first hurdle to getting into aviation in the Navy/Marine Corps. Essentially it is just a Pass/Fail item, if you make the cutoff, you are qualified. (USMC requires slightly higher scores than Navy)