• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Study Group

bmurphy6

I am taking the ASTB exam in March 2012. So roughly a month to study. I am in Oceanside, CA. If you are in the North County San Diego area and are looking to join ASTB study group please do reach out.

D

Deleted member 31917

I'm not in that area, but are you taking the new ASTB that's supposedly coming out that month? Just wondering.

bmurphy6

I was unaware of the new test? Did some research and I believe it is still the old one. THERE are so many conflicting study suggestions. Do you have suggestions? Did you take the exam?

D

Deleted member 31917

I haven't taken it at all. Actually, the only time I could take it is this coming April. I was told by another poster that the new ASTB will be out by then. I haven't been able to find anything on this "new ASTB" though. And since that's the case and also because I'm really busy this academic term, I'm probably just going to take the OAR portion. But yeah, I think the current ASTB is the same.

CBR11

They should be switching to the new format soon. That shouldn't change the way you approach studying for it though. Download the FAA PHAK and read it cover to cover. Most people who scored 8's and 9's (myself included) will tell you that the aeronautical section was a joke after reading the entire PHAK. (I had zero flight hours; you don't need any aviation experience to do well). If you were a STEM major in college, then the math and mechanical sections will be easy as well. If not, then there's useful gouge in the ASTB sub-forum.

D

Deleted member 31917

Ok. Thanks. I guess I might study for the whole thing then. The person that messaged me said there would be use of a joystick, and some work to be done at home before the test. Anyway, would you know anything about that? I'm trying to avoid doing a lot of studying, and then figuring out later that it was pointless.

CBR11

I haven't heard anything about specifics but I know that the Air Force equivalent of the ASTB has some kind of joystick section.

exNavyOffRec

The new test will use a joystick and some at home parts, we have just heard "March", of course when I talked to the USMC recruiter a few months ago he had no idea a new test was coming out so the info is slow at being distributed.

CBR11

The new test will use a joystick and some at home parts, we have just heard "March", of course when I talked to the USMC recruiter a few months ago he had no idea a new test was coming out so the info is slow at being distributed.
I have a couple questions. Will the scoring remain the same (1-9 for the AQR, PFAR, FOFAR and 20-80 for the OAR)?

Also, do you know how scores from the new format will be interpreted relative to the current format? If an applicant has a score in the current format, then can he just keep that score for future boards, or will he have to take the new format?

exNavyOffRec

I have a couple questions. Will the scoring remain the same (1-9 for the AQR, PFAR, FOFAR and 20-80 for the OAR)?

Also, do you know how scores from the new format will be interpreted relative to the current format? If an applicant has a score in the current format, then can he just keep that score for future boards, or will he have to take the new format?
We have been told the score format will be the same.

Scores are good for life.

docloves

I'm in Chicago and will take it for the 1st time in 20 days....tips, suggestions, anything will help. Thanx!