• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB score to be competitive for OCS

Fire17

BLUF: What ASTB score do I need to augment my low college GPA?

From what I understand the board take’s the ASTB, GPA, and whole applicant into account when selecting an applicant for an OCS class slot, I am asking those who have been through the process, what score should I aim for on the ASTB to make my application competitive for an OCS class? I am planning on entering OCS in 2014 or 2015. My graduation year from college is 2014 so my guess would be that realistically (if I pass the board) I am looking at 2015 or 2016 for an OCS class.

Background on myself for my application:

· B.S. Political Science and B.A. History double major, prospective graduation 2014 (GPA ~ 3.5)
· Certificate: Intelligence Analysis earned from Community College (GPA ~2.4)
· Volunteer Firefighter (will be earning EMT license ~2013)
· USCG Auxiliary University Program
· 4 years of federal service, ~5 by graduation from college

I’m not sure if it matters but in high school I was a 3.5 gpa student and varsity athlete (Cross Country and Track)

I am looking at applying to INTEL, SWO, NFO, or possibly Public Relations. My main goal is to earn my commission.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
What should you aim for? The best you can possibly score. No point in doing "enough" on the ASTB -- do your best with the ASTB and have one less thing to worry about.

Plus, with your graduation year still at last 2 if not 3 semesters off, you have plenty of time to work on your GPA and making everything look good.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

From what I understand the board take’s the ASTB, GPA, and whole applicant into account when selecting an applicant for an OCS class slot, I am asking those who have been through the process, what score should I aim for on the ASTB to make my application competitive for an OCS class? I am planning on entering OCS in 2014 or 2015. My graduation year from college is 2014 so my guess would be that realistically (if I pass the board) I am looking at 2015 or 2016 for an OCS class.

·B.S. Political Science and B.A. History double major, prospective graduation 2014 (GPA ~ 3.5)
·Certificate: Intelligence Analysis earned from Community College (GPA ~2.4)
·Volunteer Firefighter (will be earning EMT license ~2013)
·USCG Auxiliary University Program
·4 years of federal service, ~5 by graduation from college

I’m not sure if it matters but in high school I was a 3.5 gpa student and varsity athlete (Cross Country and Track)

I am looking at applying to INTEL, SWO, NFO, or possibly Public Relations. My main goal is to earn my commission.

I don't think a 3.5 GPA is "low" by any standards. Your high school GPA does not matter, but that cross country/track stuff will look nice in addition to your other stuff. I'm not sure what the odds are for Intel (I hear it's pretty booked these days), but SWO and NFO may be good bets for you. If you don't mind being in the back seat, would you be interested in Pilot as well? You seem like a great candidate for SNA/NFO/SWO, but I'm just an applicant talking.

As a graduating public relations major who initially looked into Public Affairs Officer, I'd advise you not to consider that one much. Word on the street is that it's ridiculously selective (to the tune of <5 per year), and most if not all of the selections are coming out of enlisted promotions or people with real-world journalism or PR experience. Since you say your main goal is a commission, and SWO/NFO are your first two picks, I'd advise a different pick for your third (e.g., SNA). But I couldn't speak authoritatively even if I knew more about this stuff because the needs of the Navy are a moving target and you've got a little bit to go before you even apply, so my advice may be moot later.

For your ATSB—I hear 7s are competitive. Shoot for a perfect 9/9/9 80. Try not to land too far from that and you're golden. :D

exNavyOffRec

·B.S. Political Science and B.A. History double major, prospective graduation 2014 (GPA ~ 3.5)
·Certificate: Intelligence Analysis earned from Community College (GPA ~2.4)
·Volunteer Firefighter (will be earning EMT license ~2013)
·USCG Auxiliary University Program
·4 years of federal service, ~5 by graduation from college

They will average your GPA's, so keep up that GPA, if you get 8's or 9's you should be good.

Intel is slanted now more toward tech degrees, and they have low numbers.

PAO is currently only open for those on active duty.

Fire17

Thank you for the help!

Asheldon- my 3.5 is not terribly low, but when the navy averages the 3.5 GPA with my community college GPA.... it becomes undesirable. I also have not taken my math credits yet and I'm sure that those classes will bring down my GPA....somewhat. Thank you on the advice on Public Relations, I had no idea that it would be that competitive! as far as SNA, I do not have the best eyesight in the world and the pilot commitment is pretty intense, same with NFO.

NavyOffRec - I will shoot for 8's and 9's, would you know where i can find a good (and up-to-date) study guide for the ASTB? As far as INTEL goes, would my certificate play a factor in the selection process? or LOR's from current INTEL officers?

Right now I am unsure about the rate I want, honestly I think that I am leaning towards SWO. From what I gather I have about a year to choose my job designator and get the ball rolling. I can be selected for an OCS class a year away from graduation correct?

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec - I will shoot for 8's and 9's, would you know where i can find a good (and up-to-date) study guide for the ASTB? As far as INTEL goes, would my certificate play a factor in the selection process? or LOR's from current INTEL officers?

Right now I am unsure about the rate I want, honestly I think that I am leaning towards SWO. From what I gather I have about a year to choose my job designator and get the ball rolling. I can be selected for an OCS class a year away from graduation correct?

How bad are your eyes?

The ASTB is changing so wait a few months and see what info starts coming out.

Certificates aren't going to help you with Active Intel that much, not with the amount of people that apply for around 30 spots, same with Intel officer interviews, they just have so many applicants that not only have tech degrees, but high GPA's, etc..... now you do have 5 spots so put Intel as #1 and see what happens.

The time from graduation does change, they made a small exception that went to 12 months out, but plan for 6 and see what happens.

Naval60

NavyOffRec,

Does this mean that the applicants that have taken the ASTB/OAR before have to take this new version of the new ASTB/OAR in order to apply?

V/R,

Naval60

Renegade One

None
Now I'm honestly confused...or, more correctly...uninformed. Do "non-aviation aspirants" (e.g., INTEL, SWO, PAO, SUPPO, whatever...) all have to take the ASTB? Is there a separate "stand alone" version of the OAR that folks can take?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Now I'm honestly confused...or, more correctly...uninformed. Do "non-aviation aspirants" (e.g., INTEL, SWO, PAO, SUPPO, whatever...) all have to take the ASTB? Is there a separate "stand alone" version of the OAR that folks can take?

I believe the test is one and the same. Pilot and FO wannabe's take the whole test....to receive a pilot/nfo score. Others take the basic portion that contains reading comprehension, math, etc...to get the Officer Aptitude Rating portion.

An example would be 7/8/7 65. The guy or gal wanting to be a pilot or FO would care about the 7/8/7 as well as the 65. The SWO would really only care about the 65.

exNavyOffRec

It is a 2 part exam, if a person is not going for SNA/SNFO/AMDO, they just take part 1, however often it is just referred to as the ASTB, of course this probably confuses many people, shoot, I had a CEC applicant take the exam when I first started and he was not required to take ANY exam!

@ Navy Officer Recruiter
I am an E-5 in the Navy and have had a great career so far. I was able to finish my an AA, and a Dual Bachelors. One was General Studies and the other in CJ, my GPA was a 3.7 , I did all that while at a sea going command. I cuerrently started my OCS package and just took my ASTB. I scored 50 AOR and a 5/6/5 after a lot of studyin, I do not have a chance to retake because we are going back out to sea. As far as my Navy career I have been in for 8 years and doing great things, I am dual qualed EAWS/ESWS and I am on top of my qualifications. Do you think I have good chances to get picked up for NFO or AMDO?