• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingJ2003

I am graduating college in a few weeks, and plan to take the ASTB first Thursday in December. I have both ARCO books and have started to print the three review guides from this website. They say the Spatial exam is the hardest to study for. What can I do to not get caught off guard?

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Check out arco's book "Military flight aptitude tests (5th ed)." There's a section on the spatial apperception portion that's the same damn thing as you'll see on the ASTB. Good Luck.

EDIT: by saying you have both arco books, I don't know if you're referring to this one or not. Either way, there's not much more I can do but show you exactly what to expect.Cheers!

FlyingJ2003

Slasher,

Thanks, I have just read other postings that say the ARCO spatial apperception portion is nothing like the ARCO. The ARCO, just gives you a generic rundown of what to expect. I am not taking the exam for another three weeks, but I want to be ready. Yes, I have both ARCO books that my recruiter told me to get the Officer Candidate Test and the MFAT (5th ed). Have you taken the exam?

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
FlyingJ:
I've been told the best way to study for the spacial apperception test is to take a ride in a small aircraft. If you've got the time and money, go for it. Most small airports have flight schools that will do a familiarization flight for less than $100 bucks. If you go that route, take your book and have the pilot demonstrate some of the maneuvers in the book. When I studied, and when I took the test, I probably looked like Stevie Wonder. I would look at the diagram, then close my eyes and move my upper body just like the plane would move to give you that image out the cockpit. It sounds stupid, but it helps you visualize what the plane is doing. I guess it worked, I didn't miss any when I practiced, or when I took the real thing. (By the way, I was too broke to go flying first, and still managed an 8 AQR/ 9PFAR /9FOFAR on the test)

FlyingJ2003

Penguin,
Thank you for you input. I Really want to become naval officer, and plan to work hard on this test. I am taking the ASTB December 4th. Is the ARCO as bad as the guys on this website say it is? I plan to study the three reviews posted on this site also. Are you going to OCS soon?

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
yes I've taken it. Without going up in an aircraft. If you understand the concepts they're trying to get across to you in the study book (I'm referring to spatial apperception section here), you will do fine on the test. They're not very different at all, just a little harder on the exam.

And if you can't get up in an airplane to get a feel for what spatial apperception is all about, then check out a pc flight simulator--such as microsoft flight simulator 2002- then it'll become more clear.

The arco book's are relatively useless (Only useful part in either of them is the spatial apperception section in one of 'em), stick to the study guides you can download off of this site. They are the same damn questions you'll see on the test. Check out some college algebra and trig books also. If you already have the arco stuff then use it as a supplemental study guide. But again, put your focus on the study guides off of this site.

This worked for me. I'm contracted as a Student Naval Aviator with the Marine Corps, so take that as you will.

Daedalus

Hey slasher, can you list your gpa, and ASTB scores, as well as how many times you applied if more than once?
Thanks

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
hey Daedalus, here ya are...

Gpa 3.2 Ba in Psych
Astb 5/7/6
asvab 90 (didn't take Sat's)

I only applied this one time. As you can see, my stats while not stellar are respectable. Got lucky I guess.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Hey flyingJ
I took the ASTB a few monthes ago, and I found that the best way to work on the Spatial part is to use your hand. Pretend that your hand is the plane and figure out what picture corisponds. It worked for me.

Ben

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
If you didn't take the SAT's or the ACT you HAVE to take the Asvab. But no matter- its very easy.

I got in by taking my first semester of class at a community college, then I transferred to a University.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
The ACTs are just like the SATs I took both. Slasher, you didn't have to take any SATs or ACTs and they let you transfer? Cool!!

Ben

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
hmm, i heard that ACT's are actually easier than the SAT's. well, i def believe that that is BS, but correct me if i'm wrong. also slasher, your 4-yr university didn't require you to have the SAT scores? what 4-yr did you go to? all the 4-yr schools that i want to apply for requires me to have sat/act scores, and they want scores ranging b/w 11-1400. i hate being an asian!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.