• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Questions

haypiece

? about Mech Comp and ARCO

I am taking the ASTB in the next couple weeks and had a few questions. My biggest concern is the mech comp and the aviation/nautical info since my background is in business and I will be going for NFO. Is the mech comp closer to the stuff in the study guide or closer to the stuff in the ARCO book? Seems like the ARCO book is a bit more difficult. Any suggestions for quick mech comp studying? Also, is the spatial aperception on the actual ASTB exactly like the ARCO book? I am currently studying from the ARCO book, the study guide found on this site, and the packet with the F-18 on it. Anything else I should check out?

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
haypiece said:
Is the mech comp closer to the stuff in the study guide or closer to the stuff in the ARCO book? Seems like the ARCO book is a bit more difficult. Any suggestions for quick mech comp studying? Also, is the spatial aperception on the actual ASTB exactly like the ARCO book? I am currently studying from the ARCO book, the study guide found on this site, and the packet with the F-18 on it. Anything else I should check out?
Both the study guide and the ARCO book were good for the mechanical comprehension section. I say study both. It seems to me that the actual mech comprehension was a bit easier than the ARCO book, but more experience answering mech comprehension questions will always be better.

The only thing different about the spacial deal was that the airplane looked a little different (it was a different kind of airplane, it still had wings and a tail though). Everything was still layed out the same and followed the same rules.

Aeronautical and nautical knowledge is a hard one, you can study the gouge and ARCO, but the test is not going to ask the exact same questions, and both nautical and aeronautical subject areas have a huge amount of information that is "fair game". That's where the FAA's "pilot's handbook of aeronautical knowledge" and others come in handy. There isn't any real easy way to do these two subjects that I know of.

Jas1029

The spacial apperception section is WAY harder than any practice tests. So I guess draw out your own examples for practice

stonejam

Hello Everyone,
I read something in a previous thread about a "physics gouge" for the ASTB that was particularly helpful to that person. They said that they got it from here, but couldn't remember who posted it. Can anyone help me? I'd like to see it. Thanks!

MrEd

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread. I used the materials posted here, as well as the cliff's notes and the ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Tests, and felt that I did really well. I studied pretty solid for about a week prior to the exam and was prepared for every question asked. I highly recommend the practice tests for getting your timming down. I would also recommend making flash cards regarding the navigational/aeronautical information (e.g., parts of a plane, boat, airport information, etc.). I had no prior experience with any of this material and after a week of practicing, I was ready to go. I'll update this when I get my scores in about a week (had to take the computer version).

The only problem I found was that the real SAT was more difficult than that which was in the ARCO test. However, once I got the hang of the ARCO examples, I could breeze through most of the questions on the real test. This was huge, as you get 30 questions in 10 minutes. I was then able to spend more time on the difficult questions. Just remember, the horizon rises on the side to which the plane is banking!

Good luck to everyone.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
MrEd said:
This was huge, as you get 30 questions in 10 minutes. I was then able to spend more time on the difficult questions. Just remember, the horizon rises on the side to which the plane is banking!

Good luck to everyone.

The only "problem" that I noticed with the SA part was that it was different from the ARCO book. On the ASTB, you get these little sample questions right before you take the section to make sure that you understand how the section operates. Once I looked at the practice SA question, it wasn't a problem. Like I said, it was just different. But if you understand the concept of it, then its not even worth worrying about. The thing with the SA section is that there are only so many different views that they can put there. Just do the parctice stuff a bunch of times and you'll have every view there.

sadjsd05

Nervous about ASTB

The way you guys talk and the gauge you give...I'm really quite nervous about taking this test...and it's timed. Did ya'll take the ASVAB-If so, how did ya'll score on that test? I hope I have a prayer in taking this test.... I really want to do the BDCP and go Supply. I have the Cliffs study guide and I hope that is going to help me enough. I'm working full-time and going to school full-time...so I don't have a lot of time to study for this...gotta write 2 term papers within the next 3 weeks and my recruiter is going on leave for like 3 weeks starting next Wednesday! I don't know if I'll be ready to test by then! Is this test REALLY HARD?!

nugget61

pilot
The way you guys talk and the gauge you give...I'm really quite nervous about taking this test...and it's timed. Did ya'll take the ASVAB-If so, how did ya'll score on that test? I hope I have a prayer in taking this test.... I really want to do the BDCP and go Supply. I have the Cliffs study guide and I hope that is going to help me enough. I'm working full-time and going to school full-time...so I don't have a lot of time to study for this...gotta write 2 term papers within the next 3 weeks and my recruiter is going on leave for like 3 weeks starting next Wednesday! I don't know if I'll be ready to test by then! Is this test REALLY HARD?!

ASVAB is enlisted, and from what I've been told, there's no correlation between the two tests. Again, from second hand knowledge, the Cliffs book is trash - go to the ASTB section and download the gouge - theres quite a bit there to review, and its helped me a ton.
And it's "y'all" - but only a KY kid would know that :icon_wink

sadjsd05

You're pry right about the ya'll/y'all thing. I use slang, but can't spell it!

I'm prior enlisted and I took the ASVAB so I was curious if I could even compare to anyone that took it and is going officer. I'm not stupid-I have a 3.75, but I don't exactly consider mechanical and aviation common knowledge. There was some mechanical on the ASVAB. But thanks for the info on Cliffs/ASTB!

BullGator

Quick tips

Hey Sad,
I saw your situation, and thought I'd help.
You should focuss on practice problems for mechanical and spatial apperception, here is a link:
http://nrotc.unm.edu/files/MilitaryFlight.pdf

Also try some math problems, and understand that the verbal section on covers questions direct from the (short-2-5 sentances) paraghraph.
Remember with math: X^0=1. Do as much practice as you can with math and mechanical. I know time is your problem... If you can reschedule it. Whatever you do, walk into the test with confidence. That is important. Worry now and be confident then.

Practice alot on the spatial apperception. That is supposed to be harder on the exam, and it is important to be familiar with the material. On the actual test, there are some that you need to tell small differences: degree of bank and seeing if it goes out to see or toward land is harder.

I have a lot more links, but since time is such a problem I didn't include them.

nightflight

Hi can anyone out there please tell me if I need to study the marine corps ASTB prep exam- I will be going to OCS, and need to take the first three portions of the test and if it is needed for that test portion " OAR". Has anyone out there just only needed the first three parts and what do I need to do to study?
Nightflight

BullGator

Hi can anyone out there please tell me if I need to study the marine corps ASTB prep exam- I will be going to OCS, and need to take the first three portions of the test and if it is needed for that test portion " OAR". Has anyone out there just only needed the first three parts and what do I need to do to study?
Nightflight
What are you trying to do? (What assignment for the Marine Corps: Supply, Intel, ect...?)

If you only need to take the first 3 sections [math, paragraph comp, and mechanical. OAR score] and you are talking about the 27pg marine-practice exam that i think you are, then you don't need to study the last section on aviation and nautical information (also wouldn't need to study additional spatial apperception problems, which are easy, fyi). Focus on practice math problems (timed), mechanical and paragraph/sentance comprehension. Most people will tell you to just take the last 3 sections since you can only take it 3 times [spatial app, aviation/nautical information, and the last section is made up of problems from the other 4 sections//not including spatial apperception].

-edited: How much time do you have? - I have a lot of links that could help if you have the time. Here is one more (ARCO Study Guide-Officer Cadidate Tests. Will help with practice Qs for math/verbal/mechanical):
http://www.petersons.com/pdf/free/OfficerCandidate.pdf