• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Questions

pyrator

First off i want to say thank you to everyone that has posted all of this wonderfull information. Secondly I took the ASTB pratice test (anyone know where to get the spatial part and the "handout with the f18 on it" ?) and got took on the math but KILLED the rest of it so i will have to study hard for the math. Other then that do you guys know of any other good study materials i have looked but everyone says the ACRO book is a waste. Also could you pls tell me what these mean:
OAR
AQR Academic Qualifications Rating
PFAR Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating
FOFAR Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating
**EDIT found some info
Thank you in advance! -Joe-

dpiddycanfly

My recruiter suggested that a good way to study for the math on the new test is to pick up a study guide for the GRE. It's got a lot of good tips and shortcut methods to solving hard problems that will save you a lot of time. The Arco book is good for helping with the spatial apperception portion, but if you have any flight time at all, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Also, it is good for studying the mechanical sections of the other branches tests. They also have another book entitled "Officer Candidate Tests" but it is pretty much the same thing. I've taken the old version, but am taking the new one on Monday so I'll let you know if any of that helped me. Good luck.

dpiddycanfly

Oh by the way, I'm pretty sure that the handout you're looking for with the F-18 on it is the practice test that is posted on this site. I printed it out a long time ago and it had a cover page, I guess they just decided to toss that out. Somebody let me know if I'm wrong.

pyrator

thanx buddy!! Goodluck on your test! post back here afterwards and let me know how it was. I am taking the astb on april 1st i think. Anyway i look forwarded to your next post and GOODLUCK !!

dpiddycanfly

Well, got my results today and I am a little dissapointed. My OAR was 42. Other scores were 5/5/6. My recruiter wants me to go NFO and seems to think I would have a decent shot, but some close friends (both Commanders and F/A-18 pilots) said to wait and keep trying. Don't know, we'll see.

pyrator

keep trying man dont give up you got 1 more try, just study study study! I am sure you can bring that up just study on what you know u missed. Well thats what i would do but thats just me. Either way goodluck!
Any tips for me, i havent taken it yet but tips would always help.

dpiddycanfly

Stick to the gouge on this site. It's really good. That's what surprised me, because I really thought I did great. Especially on the aviation stuff. But the thing that kills you is time. On the math, don't spend too much time on one question. If you don't know it, mark it, and move on. I messed up and had like four or five questions that I had to just guess on before time ran up. I don't understand how people can get 7s and 8s on their aviation scores because honestly there was nothing aviation related that I felt like I didn't know and mine were 5s and 6s. Anyway, good luck!

pyrator

thanx man it means alot to me when u guys post tips! I Hope you retake it, dont give up on ur dreams.

MarketPro

If you are diligent in your study habits and study the Gouge on this side along with the supplements, you will do well on the ASTB.

In 2001 I took the ASTB for the first tie without studying as a young college sophomore. Results: OAR 49, 4/4/4

I took the test recently after spending a solid three weeks taking practice test after practice test and rasied my score significantly. Results: OAR 65 7/6/6.

Persevere.

dpiddycanfly

Is there something that I'm leaving out? I studied the math gouge on here until I was blue in the face. And I also studied the spatial apperception class and mechanical handout. I really thought I did well and wasn't surprised by anything. In fact, I didn't think I missed anything on the spatial or the reading, and very little on the aviation stuff. I just don't get it.

SAR522

I feel the same way about my scores (4/5/5 43). I studied the gouge, Arco, and Cliffs study guides for at least a month. I finished the test feeling very confident and I was convinced that I had done well. I was expecting to score at least in the 6-7 range. Does anybody know the exact breakdown on the scoring for the new test?

ASUSunDevil

Can someone explain what the scores mean? My OS told me that I did well enough for NFO but not for pilot. I am definately not trying to fly in the back seat of anything. I took the test on zero notice so I would have another chance to take it before the April board meets. I am pretty sure I did well on everything except the aviation and nautical terms section. Any idea where I can find a lot of these to study?

T-man

ASUSunDevil said:
Can someone explain what the scores mean? My OS told me that I did well enough for NFO but not for pilot. I am definately not trying to fly in the back seat of anything. I took the test on zero notice so I would have another chance to take it before the April board meets. I am pretty sure I did well on everything except the aviation and nautical terms section. Any idea where I can find a lot of these to study?

scroll up until you find a link on this thread - also head to your library and look for "Military Flight Aptitude Tests" in the same section you'd find other study guides for things like the ACT, SAT, ASVAB - should be in the careers sectionl.

IT1toOfficer

Class 0606!!! New Ensigns!!! (as of Jan27th)
Here's the million dollar question!!! I don't think anyone will be able to give a real awns but here I go:

If there's only 67 questions (37 Math/verbal) and 30 Mechanical, then how is the MAX score of OAR 80? Or am i wrong about the number. Everything I read about the test states theres a total of 67 on the OAR.

Are some questions worth more then the others?

If anyone can give me the awns then I will pay you one million dollars.hahahaha..ok maybe not...but it will be nice to know.

I have 3 weeks left before I take it..please let me do ok... :)