• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Questions

what are you trying to do? (what assignment for the marine core: Supply, intel, ect...?)

if you only need to take the first 3 sections [math, paragraph comp, and mechanical. Oar score] and you are talking about the 27pg marine-practice exam that i think you are, then you don't need to study the last section on aviation and nautical information (also wouldn't need to study additional spatial apperception problems, which are easy, fyi). Focus on practice math problems (timed), mechanical and paragraph/sentance comprehension. Most people will tell you to just take the last 3 sections since you can only take it 3 times [spatial app, aviation/nautical information, and the last section is made up of problems from the other 4 sections//not including spatial apperception].

-edited: how much time do you have? - i have a lot of links that could help if you have the time. Here is one more (arco study guide-officer cadidate tests. Will help with practice qs for math/verbal/mechanical):
http://www.petersons.com/pdf/free/officercandidate.pdf

holy shit.

BullGator

holy shit.
What, I'm confused: Are you saying "holy shit" because Marine Corps is supposed to be in lower case (marine corps)?
I just tend to capitalize things i respect, and lower case things I don't (e.g. um= miami hurricane football). It's an old habit...

If anyone else wants more links, PM or shot me a e-mail at darren@ufl.edu . I have about 40-50 links bookmarked, so be specific on what info you need (eg. Nautical: boat parts, Buoys, ect; Mechanical: Hydraulic pressure, electrical..... just tell me what you are having trouble with, specifically.)

After I take my test, I will put my Microsoft-word documents on here, if that is ok with the mods. I guess I would e-mail them the docs to see if it's all right (I would probably need to take out the highlights of what’s on the ASTB and so on).

B

Blutonski816

*Facepalm*

It's Corps...

What, I'm confused: Are you saying "holy shit" because Marine Core is supposed to be in lower case (marine core)?
I just tend to capitalize things i respect, and lower case things I don't (e.g. um= miami hurricane football). It's an old habit...

If I'm understanding you correctly...
From your profile you're in the same boat as all of us college pukes... we don't rate ragging on the services... okay.... maaaaaybe just Air Force....

HT3

Like the sat?

On the SAT your better off leaving answers blank if you do not know them. What about on the astb?

visual_scan

There is no benefit to be gained from leaving an answer blank, nor any additional penalty for answering a question incorrectly.

NAeagle89

New astb

That is correct, there is no penalty for guessing on the ASTB. I took it today actually passed it and if your not familiar with aeronautical knowledge and flight information for the last 2 sections I hope your guessing skills are up to par. By the way a NEW ASTB is coming out this April. I talked to my OSO(I have completed Juniors) and he said that the new ASTB will be more challenging and harder than the one currently in use. Also, he mentioned that the new ASTB will have you use joysticks for the test! Good luck everyone!

rudvanis

I keep reading about all these practice tests people keep taking...I have the one in the ARCO book and 2 in the Cliffs book (everyone seems to not like that one). Where are people getting these extra practice tests from (Am I just not looking hard enough?)

Thanks for all of the info.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
I keep reading about all these practice tests people keep taking...I have the one in the ARCO book and 2 in the Cliffs book (everyone seems to not like that one). Where are people getting these extra practice tests from (Am I just not looking hard enough?)

Thanks for all of the info.
I just took the ASTB in December. I studied for a weekend right before my test; my scores weren't great (5/6/5 52), but that is what you get for a weekend. Anyways, I found the ARCO book very helpful, I also picked up an ACT/SAT prep book and looked at some of the math and reading sections (just don't get too much into these, the math is a bit more advanced than the ASTB). Bottom line, it is all pretty straight forward, it is stuff that you should know by now, except maybe for the NAVY related stuff. To me the main point was strategy, time, time, time yourself at home, use the elimination procedure, get a good night sleep, and remember that you KNOW this stuff.

Good Luck

rudvanis

Thanks for the info...Yeah I'm not worried about the OAR part really at all, its the aviation and nautical information I'm worried about not covering too much (I'm skimming that FAA Manual and the Boat website elsewhere on this site). I'm definitely using the ARCO Book. Thanks for the information! Are you gonna forward your scores?