• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Intel Officer Question

dilbone56

As far as the ASTB is concerned... I was informed by my OR that Intel (up until recently) required the full ASTB. However, that has changed, and only the OAR is necessary. I'm no expert, and am still getting my package together, but I only have the OAR. I hope my OR is correct.

matt87

Langauge Training?

I know the Navy has one of the best language programs around and my OR said that ability to learn language is also looked at highly. Being semi-proficient in more than one language will the Navy look favorably on that and send me to sharpen my language skills?

Lucy

It is possible but not too likely. With being an Officer it would make you more likely to be assigned to a post that has a language requirement if you 1) already know the langauge or just need a refresher, or 2) if you knowledge of languages helps you score high on the DLAB and therefore you would be a better fit than others for a post with language requriements. From what I have been able to see/find, as an Officer it is very rare to get language training outside of these circumstances.

Recently I have found that some of the MA that you can pursue have a language component, however, getting into the program is not always a simple thing.

irony6.jpg

When they take 30 people out of 500 applicants, 100 are very highly qualified but only 30 of those 100 have hard target language proficiency..who do you think they will take?

You really don't know what you are talking about becuase you know nothing about intelligence.
For HUMINIT intel, it is desirable to know a language because it deals with interacting with people in the theater of operation. Even then, it is not required because militaries have something called linguists. I know that is a difficult concept for someone with your brain to understand.
Air, Ground, and Signal intel to do not require a language. The latter only requires knowlesdge in either computer sciecne or radio communication.

They pick those based on their experience, education, and what they know.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You really don't know what you are talking about becuase you know nothing about intelligence.
For HUMINIT intel, it is desirable to know a language because it deals with interacting with people in the theater of operation. Even then, it is not required because militaries have something called linguists. I know that is a difficult concept for someone with your brain to understand.
Air, Ground, and Signal intel to do not require a language. The latter only requires knowlesdge in either computer sciecne or radio communication.

They pick those based on their experience, education, and what they know.

I'm pretty sure you don't know quite what you are talking about. I can see by the way you describe Air, Ground, SIGINT, and HUMINIT intel (sic), that you are a Marine or have experience with USMC intelligence since that is how they organize their intel branches.

First, this is thread about becoming a Navy intelligence officer so your input probably isn't the most relevant. Second, even if your experience and knowledge was related to Navy intelligence, the idea that selection boards might consider language experience as a tie-breaker for selecting candidates is not far fetched. Finally, your insulting language isn't called for and will no longer be tolerated. This is your one and only warning.

I'm pretty sure you don't know quite what you are talking about. I can see by the way you describe Air, Ground, SIGINT, and HUMINIT intel (sic), that you are a Marine or have experience with USMC intelligence since that is how they organize their intel branches.

First, this is thread about becoming a Navy intelligence officer so your input probably isn't the most relevant. Second, even if your experience and knowledge was related to Navy intelligence, the idea that selection boards might consider language experience as a tie-breaker for selecting candidates is not far fetched. Finally, your insulting language isn't called for and will no longer be tolerated. This is your one and only warning.

I was only referring to Naval Intel and it is indeed broken down into similar levels. Language requirements are not required unless one works with translation which relates to Human Intel. If there is a demand for Human Intel, then in tie breakers in language becomes important. When it comes to Signals, then computer proficiency is important. Etc, etc.
Sorry if reality is difficult for you. It is obvious you don't know what you are talking about , and that is a fact. I guess you need to stop watching movies and cgi games, and read some books.

They state that language proficiency is highly desired RIGHT IN THE PROGRAM AUTHORIZATION DOCUMENT!!!! Hahaha.
Funny you say that, considering RIGHT ON the General Officer Page for Intel it says "foreign language skills are not required"

Oh by the way, Desirable and requirement are two separate things. Requirement=must. Desirable=useful. So if a specific intel posistion requires a language, then they go with language.

You lose again BWAHAHAHA. Now don't cry like a girl. Oh wait, you will. Nevermind.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Funny you say that, considering RIGHT ON the General Officer Page for Intel it says "foreign language skills are not required"

Oh by the way, Desirable and requirement are two separate things. Requirement=must. Desirable=useful. So if a specific intel posistion requires a language, then they go with language.

You lose again BWAHAHAHA. Now don't cry like a girl. Oh wait, you will. Nevermind.

Instead of acting appropriately and offering to correct what could be misinterpretation on this forum you have chosen to bash people. What is the purpose in these actions? If you want to be a leader you can’t afford to act this way otherwise your CoC will have their foot in your ass! If you want to correct someone’s understanding do so tactfully. It is not hard! This can easily be done by giving substantial evidence such as a website in which you referenced so others can then decipher the information and its validity. STOP attacking others on this site as it does nothing but make you seem like a douche bag! I'm sure you can conduct yourself more appropriately so lets start over and try to make this productive.

Instead of acting appropriately and offering to correct what could be misinterpretation on this forum you have chosen to bash people. What is the purpose in these actions? If you want to be a leader you can’t afford to act this way otherwise your CoC will have their foot in your ass! If you want to correct someone’s understanding do so tactfully. It is not hard! This can easily be done by giving substantial evidence such as a website in which you referenced so others can then decipher the information and its validity. STOP attacking others on this site as it does nothing but make you seem like a douche bag! I'm sure you can conduct yourself more appropriately so lets start over and try to make this productive.

The other guy makes a wild assertion which it knows nothing of but I get attacked. What a joke. I am guessing the PRK surgery did not correct the eye vision of many people here.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
The other guy makes a wild assertion which it knows nothing of but I get attacked. What a joke. I am guessing the PRK surgery did not correct the eye vision of many people here.

First, PRK is not the subject matter here and you have attacked people again! Second, if someone makes a statement that you know is inaccurate then correct them but do so tactfully as stated before by giving a reputable source of information. Because I said so is not a reputable source. You have given no indication by any of your posts that you are a subject matter expert as well. By knowing plenty of civilian and military Intel people doesn't mean you know anything about the subject more than those here. I don't run around talking about how to fly an airplane because I know many civilian and military pilots. Third, you have been attacked because the tone that is being conveyed in your posts which is insulting. If you read every post you have made here you will find this to be true and here is an example, " What a Joke. I am guessing the PRK surgery did not correct the eye vision of many people here." You also called people morons in your first couple of posts. If you are using sarcasm then type in green font as this notifies everyone of that but you shouldn't start a conversation by calling someone a moron.

Finally, you must remember this website is designed for people who wish to seek a commission in the United States Navy and Marine Corp with the hopes of becoming Aviators. The many people that frequent this forum do so with the intention to assist those in pursuing this goal. However, they also truly seek to help those in other fields and offer guidance anyway they can. As Navy and Marine Corp officers they can add insight and perspective that many of us desire while pursuing our goals to become commissioned officers and follow in the footsteps they have laid before us. That being said I'm sure many people on here would never lay claim to be Intel subject matter experts with some exceptions. But some may know about Navy or Marine Corp Intel as they are frequently around it and have been for years! So can we stop using this as a discussion on he said, she said, the proper use of internet etiquette, etc, and return this thread into a useful source of information for those asking questions about Intel?

Mods if I have spoken inaccurately or out of line about the site please correct me.

V/R
TBC

First, PRK is not the subject matter here and you have attacked people again! Second, if someone makes a statement that you know is inaccurate then correct them but do so tactfully as stated before by giving a reputable source of information. Because I said so is not a reputable source. You have given no indication by any of your posts that you are a subject matter expert as well. By knowing plenty of civilian and military Intel people doesn't mean you know anything about the subject more than those here. I don't run around talking about how to fly an airplane because I know many civilian and military pilots. Third, you have been attacked because the tone that is being conveyed in your posts which is insulting. If you read every post you have made here you will find this to be true and here is an example, " What a Joke. I am guessing the PRK surgery did not correct the eye vision of many people here." You also called people morons in your first couple of posts. If you are using sarcasm then type in green font as this notifies everyone of that but you shouldn't start a conversation by calling someone a moron.

Finally, you must remember this website is designed for people who wish to seek a commission in the United States Navy and Marine Corp with the hopes of becoming Aviators. The many people that frequent this forum do so with the intention to assist those in pursuing this goal. However, they also truly seek to help those in other fields and offer guidance anyway they can. As Navy and Marine Corp officers they can add insight and perspective that many of us desire while pursuing our goals to become commissioned officers and follow in the footsteps they have laid before us. That being said I'm sure many people on here would never lay claim to be Intel subject matter experts with some exceptions. But some may know about Navy or Marine Corp Intel as they are frequently around it and have been for years! So can we stop using this as a discussion on he said, she said, the proper use of internet etiquette, etc, and return this thread into a useful source of information for those asking questions about Intel?

Mods if I have spoken inaccurately or out of line about the site please correct me.

V/R
TBC

I never said I knew everything about aviation. Please tell me where I said that ? Now, you obviously are taking that guys side. He made an inaccurate assertion without giving any info. So you obviously have some bias. If anything, he insulting original poster with his one liners. Other people have also made claims about people they know. He quoted one text and I quoted mine. If one can't read, then that is there problem.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I never said I knew everything about aviation. Please tell me where I said that ?

Never said you did so I don't know why you made this statement.

Now, you obviously are taking that guys side. He made an inaccurate assertion without giving any info. So you obviously have some bias.

I don't understand where his inaccurate assertion came from. He simply stated to the OP that if he wasn't fluent in a foreign language then he would need to score higher on the ASTB then the 5/5/5 50+ the OP thought he would need. So am I taking his side on this statement? Yes. My reason is the Navy is extremely selective currently so the higher you score the better chance you have in getting selected. Also, when the Navy is selecting people for their officer programs they don't break them into the respective categories until someone is further in training. So when the Navy selects for Intel they are not putting people into HUMINIT, air, ground, or whatever so having a fluency in a foreign language is often a plus. Is it feasible as you say to get selected into Intel without being fluent in another language? Absolutely! However, if you have two candidates that are identical in every way with the exception to one having a foreign language over the other then the one with the foreign language more than likely will beat out the other person for the spot. But as you alluded to the board makes their decisions based on a number of factors and it may very easily go against a logical thought process. So you are both right!

If anything, he insulting original poster with his one liners.

I don't think he insulted anyone by answering with a one liner. Only the OP can say if he is insulted by his one line response. That statement is a little presumptuous on your part.

Other people have also made claims about people they know. He quoted one text and I quoted mine. If one can't read, then that is there problem.

I'm finding difficulty in deciphering what you are trying to say here.

Never said you did so I don't know why you made this statement.

I don't understand where his inaccurate assertion came from. He simply stated to the OP that if he wasn't fluent in a foreign language then he would need to score higher on the ASTB then the 5/5/5 50+ the OP thought he would need. So am I taking his side on this statement? Yes. My reason is the Navy is extremely selective currently so the higher you score the better chance you have in getting selected. Also, when the Navy is selecting people for their officer programs they don't break them into the respective categories until someone is further in training. So when the Navy selects for Intel they are not putting people into HUMINIT, air, ground, or whatever so having a fluency in a foreign language is often a plus. Is it feasible as you say to get selected into Intel without being fluent in another language? Absolutely! However, if you have two candidates that are identical in every way with the exception to one having a foreign language over the other then the one with the foreign language more than likely will beat out the other person for the spot. But as you alluded to the board makes their decisions based on a number of factors and it may very easily go against a logical thought process. So you are both right!

I don't think he insulted anyone by answering with a one liner. Only the OP can say if he is insulted by his one line response. That statement is a little presumptuous on your part.

I'm finding difficulty in deciphering what you are trying to say here.

If you want to agree with your boyfriend, then that is your perogative. Factually, it depends on the situation. If there is a need for Human Intel, only then does language become desirable because one needs to translate documents or even take part in interrogations. It isn't needed nor advantageous if one is dealing with Air or Signals Intel. If two people are tied, language is not going to be as important as their essay, experiences and most of all interviews. They make their decisions based on demand, not hypotheticals

The position is called intel, not linguist. If they needed a langauge requirement for intel, then there has to be one for every position, whether it be supply, cooks, or pilots.

As for ASTB, actually he doesn't need to score higher because qualifying score is 35. Those that want to be pilots have to score higher because let us face it, they are flying a plane.