• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Intel Officer Question

gbpxnick

Background/FYI info:

Hi, I'm Nick and I've recently contacted a local recruiter and started to compile my application. Graduated in June 2010 with a BS in Criminal Justice Administration @ 3.2 GPA (Taking community college courses during high school summers F*ed me up..should have been a 3.4).
4 Years of internship for my University's Police Department, 2 Years of Voluntary Police Cadet Service (much like explorers), current police cadet advisor for the same PD, 2 years of internship for Labor and Employee Relations Team within Social Security Administration Headquarters (worked with federal law,federal policies, disciplinary actions with law degree equipped staffs..etc), volunteered as the primary Registration Chair for American Cancer Society's Relay for Life 2010 committee. Have great LORs from all of the jobs listed, as well as a LOR from my buddy who is a USMC O-1. Took my ASTB cold turkey (demanded by my recruiter to see what I need to study) and received a 46 OAR.

The Question:

My recruiter informed me that the closest job I can apply for within my field of study (Justice Administration), would be Intel. However, the selection rate is really low and that I am better off going for Supply or SW. One of the Barron's book I have mentioned that I must take the entire ASTB (not only the OAR) in order to apply for Intel..is this true?

gbpxnick

But do I need a pilot qualification score to get a pro rec on a intel slot? or the requirement is much lower? maybe 5/5/5 50+?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
But do I need a pilot qualification score to get a pro rec on a intel slot? or the requirement is much lower? maybe 5/5/5 50+?

Just study for the ASTB and retake it. It's not important what score you need. It's important that you do your very best. When you feel that you have done your absolute best then you apply and find out if you've got what it takes or not. If you don't then you try again if it's what you really want. Don't get so wrapped around the axle about what score you need. If you're giving your very best and studying to max out the test then it really doesn't matter.

If it's what you truly want you'll put in the effort required, and if you don't you'll fail. Intel is hard to get into and those that I've known that selected it in the past were pretty high performers in school. That's why I suggest pushing the SWO/Intel option. MILPERSMAN 1212-080 is the reference you need to google to find out more about that option.

Also from what I know you do need to take the ASTB in order to apply for intel. Study for the entire test. Not just the OAR.

gbpxnick

Wise words. I will absolutely do my best..but just wanted to know enough to get my head in the game. I speak Chinese fluently, read fluently, but forgot how to write a lot of it. I was born and raised in Macau, China for 9 years before I immigrated to the states.. I am sure in order to get government certification, I need to know how to write :(

Nonetheless, I took my first ASTB, OAR portion only and scored a 46. I sh*t you not I am not making an excuse but the monitor I used for the test was very blurry and the test staff did not care when I brought it up...so I had to take the tests like I needed glasses. I had to reread almost every problems on the Math and Reading test because they just won't register in my head with my vision not being able to focus..the mechanic part was ok because most of the problems consisted big pictures, so I can make a good mental image on my head as soon as I see it.

I am traveling to another MEPS 2 hours away from home just to avoid that test center's monitor..

Lucy

Intel applicants have to have at least a 3 on the AQR so the entire ASTB is required. For the OP, Intel averages from last year had commentary that scores below 50 or gpas below 3.0 were viewed as seriously detrimental to packets.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, but thought you guys might be able to help me out.

What tests are taken by prospective pilots and nfo's now? is still just the astb or are there others?

gbpxnick

yes yes! I actually did and seems to be really ideal because IW does not require entire ASTB, but I will take all anyways if I ever wanted to switch jobs after my 4 years of service.

Unless you have fluency in a language or other directly appreciable intelligence skills I'd say you need something like 60 7/7/7 to be mildly competitive.

I would say you're extremely a moron. I know intel people in civ and military, and most of them don't have any language experience. Language experience is somtimes required if you want to go into Huminit intel. The position is intel not linguist. Everything depends on what you studied, background, and interviews.

irony6.jpg

When they take 30 people out of 500 applicants, 100 are very highly qualified but only 30 of those 100 have hard target language proficiency..who do you think they will take?

As I said idiot, it DEPENDS on what type of intellgience is needed. For Ground and Air intel, language skills are utterly useless. For Signal Intel, the only language needed is computer programming.
For HUMINIT intel, langauge skills are beneficial in case a linguist goes down. That is the only intel branch that where language skills are helpful. You clearly do not know what you are taking about.
And moron, they don't take 30 people every year. Class sizes vary based on demand. 1 year it can be 30 whle another it is 300.

IRfly

None
You don't need to write. The language proficiency tests are listening and reading. For some languages (don't know about Chinese specifically) they'll also have you tested in a conversation over the phone with some contractor. I've been drawing FLPP for more than five years now and never written a word. That being said, first-tour intel guys don't really seem to be "language" guys. Indeed, they rarely seem to be "intelligent" guys. IW might be more up your alley.

irony6.jpg

When they take 30 people out of 500 applicants, 100 are very highly qualified but only 30 of those 100 have hard target language proficiency..who do you think they will take?

Language skills are only help Huminit intelligence where interaction of local population is necessary. Even then, the military hires professional linguists. It doesn't do you any good if you are going into Signals, Ground, or Air and intercept signs, research, analyze, and write up plans.
They will take those that are qualifed based on their knowledge over something rather than langauge. Again, you don't know what you are talking about.