• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB help

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinHigh

is this correct.......

the runway lights are white,
and the taxiway lights are blue. What color are the running lights on an airplane?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
FlyinHigh said:
is this correct.......

the runway lights are white,
and the taxiway lights are blue. What color are the running lights on an airplane?

Green light is on the Starboard wingtip
Red light is on the Port wingtip
Big white light is on the front landing gear wheel when landing at night.

FlyinHigh

can anyone help me with this one havent had physics in a while:

would a brick fall faster through the air, through water, or the same through both?

also could someone please go over the mechanical advantage for pulleys (counting ropes) and what kind of electricity questions will be on the ASTB. thanks

FlyinHigh

can anyone help me with this one havent had physics in a while:

would a brick fall faster through the air, through water, or the same through both?

also could someone please go over the mechanical advantage for pulleys (counting ropes) and what kind of electricity questions will be on the ASTB. thanks

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Speaking of the physic question, there was one on the ASTB Version 3 that said something along the lines of: I you had two tennis balls and held them over a 10 story building, and you dropped one straight down and tossed the other horizontally first, but released them at the same time, which would hit the ground first? That wasn't the question verbatum, but the same principles apply.

FlyinHigh

yeah i remember that one, and i believe that both will hit the ground at the same time because regardless if one has horizontal velocity they both will be falling (losing vertical position) at the same rate... any insight on the brick question?

FlyinHigh

anyone who has taken the ASTB please help me with what information about pulleys and electricity will be needed for the test. i havent had physics that deals with that stuff since high school,

also anyone can answer, does a brick fall faster through water or air or the same through both mediums?

thanks

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
A brick would fall faster through air since there is more resistance to water. Think about it, when you jump off a high dive, do you fall faster before or after you hit the water? For the electricity and pulleys, go to your library and check out an intro physics book since you will need to see diagrams.

Eric459

Flyinghigh I think you're correct on the tennis ball question. If I remember correctly my physics teacher is high school said if you shoot a gun level, and drop a bullet from the same height the should both hit the ground at the same time...now that's some interesting stuff.

GTIGirlVR6

Hey Y'all,

Im trying to get prepared for the ASTB, I have the ARCO book and have been looking over the gouge, but what else do you reccomend for study tools??

VAmookie

OK, the tennis ball answer is right. Thought one has horozontal velocity, they both have the same vertical velocity, (9.8m/s/s), and they will both hit the ground at the same time. With the brick... water (H20) has a higher surface tension than air (O2) which causes excess friction on the brick. The brick will fall through the air at (9.8m/s/s), but much slower through the water.

ARCO book is prolly the best out there. If you're navy, talk to your recruiter about getting a study guide, or slyly visit a Marine OSO. If youre marine, your OSO should have already hooked you up.

If you havent had physics, take a class or two in college. Its my understanding that a basic knowledge helps when you go through flight school

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Actually, while the answer to the brick question is right...it WILL fall faster through the air than in the water...it isn't the right explanation. 9.8m/s/s is the absolute velocity acceleration for an object in the Earth's gravitational field...in a vacuum! The actual acceleration of something released with the outside air being a slight resistance will be less than 9.8. Nothing big, the answer is still right...air...but it isn't quite 9.8m/s/s. Sorry, I have a physics degree.

Now, the electrical diagrams will be something that you'll need to study up on. I second the recommendation before that you need to look at some basic electromagnetic properties and then all of it will make sense. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though, as most of it IS common sense.

Also, DEFINITELY GET THE ARCO BOOK!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough. You will have a much greater edge on the competition by having this book, as it has a sample test in it. But, as with most publications, there are some typos. Otherwise, it is the best one out there. And, make sure you do the Air Force test too, before you take the Navy and MC one, because they have much more advanced questions on theirs. If you do well on the AF test, you will do very well on the Navy/MC one.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

GTIGirlVR6

Ok well, the ARCO book is definently staying, and I picked up another random study book. My OSO however, said the ARCO book was the only peice of study information he could reccomend. Whats the deal? Does he just hate me? And should I possibly call the SSgt. about it when I know he's going to be away?

VAmookie

GTIGirlVR6, ask him for the packet. That is actually the best study guide for the air spacial apperception test. If you need to talk to the SSgt, then do it.

By the way... is your avatar a picture of you??

USNMERRIT: If you want to brag about a physics degree... maybe you should actually know what youre talking about. For all intents and purposes... 9.8m/s/s is the negative velocity known as gravity. Is it accurate for every situation, no. For any sort of data you would be analyzing on the astb (ie. problem solving), that gravitational generalization will more than suffice (except i think they would use 32.2ft/s/s cause we're in American armed forces). Dont try to act like hot sh!t... cause you aint!

Status
Not open for further replies.