• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTIGirlVR6

Great...I appreciate the advice MUCH!

I had also seen a post mentioning needing to know the formula for resistance?! ( in a circuit) I was not familiar with this...perhaps one of y'all can explain.

Avatar is me :( I'm trying to find another cooler one lol..so thats it in the mean time...

FlyinHigh

i just took round two of the ASTB today, the knowledge is pretty fresh in my head. Hopefully i passed it this time, i feel pretty confident. Any questions i should be able to help just PM me. I have taken two out of the three forms. ...lol that prob isnt such a good things, but hey at least i will be able to help

GTIGirlVR6

Alright, final word from OSO was that they are no loner giving out the pamphlets/packets. Anyone else heard this? And more importantly does anyone ahve an old one that they can post?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
USNMERRIT: If you want to brag about a physics degree... maybe you should actually know what youre talking about. For all intents and purposes... 9.8m/s/s is the negative velocity known as gravity. Is it accurate for every situation, no. For any sort of data you would be analyzing on the astb (ie. problem solving), that gravitational generalization will more than suffice (except i think they would use 32.2ft/s/s cause we're in American armed forces). Dont try to act like hot sh!t... cause you aint!

Maybe YOU should know what you're talking about before correcting someone. 9.8m/s^2 is 1) not a velocity and 2) is the accepted standard measure of gravity for computational purposes... as he said. He never said it was wrong for use on the ASTB, just that his physics-inundated mind refused to accept such a simple answer. Don't start a pissing match when people are trying to offer help and give the right answer.

For the ASTB (at least the old version I took back in 00/01 or so) the Arco book was a good guide. It was the only thing I even looked at before the test and I did alright - didn't miss one

/just sayin.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Thanks, squeeze.

As he said, I sure didn't mean to start anything by correcting you, CORPSviation...just wanted to give you the correct explanation for what you were talking about. We're all in the same discussion here...don't piss in waters you can't first swim in. Besides, the fact that I read so much into simple questions was a major fault when I first took the ASTB. I read WAAAY to deeply into some of the mechanical comp. questions and tried to justify the exact answer...when all the question was looking for was a round-about, in the ballpark figure. So, always remember buddy...fly Navy!

Now, like I said before about the study guide, and like so many others have said, you really won't find a better preparation source than the Arco book. It was the one that was recommended to me by several Naval Aviators and NFO's, as well as my OPO. As well, make sure you definitely take the AF section of the book, as their tests are much more in depth and slightly more difficult than the Navy/MC section. The material is pretty much the same, just a little harder. So, if you do good on the AF section, you can do extremely well on the Navy/MC section. Its like having two practice tests in one book.

So, altogether...get the Arco book, which is on Amazon.com for $16.97 at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...67895/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-1534773-1771850 . Go through this section by section and make a note of whatever area(s) you are weak on. Then, before taking the AF practice test, try to look up some information on those areas and study the specifics that you need help on. Afterwards, take the AF test and honestly grade yourself as if you were taking it for real, but don't time yourself. See where you messed up on and go back to the material for those areas again. Then, lastly, take the Navy/MC test...after doing everything else first...and again, honestly grade yourself and this time, time yourself. You will be surprised how amazingly well you will do on the Navy/MC test after preparing through the AF test and studying the material that you are weak on.

Okay...sorry this is long-winded...after you finish ALL of the above, then make your appointment for taking the real ASTB as soon as possible. You don't want to wait too long because you don't want to have the material slip away from your memory, but at the same time you don't want to do it the same day you finish the study guide. Give yourself, if you can, about a day or two after you finish the guide before you take the real test. Eat a high carb meal...pasta, pizza, breads, etc...the night before the test, just like you would do with any other test. Get a good night sleep...I had to take sleeping pills so that I would actually GET to sleep...and wake up to a good breakfast. Then...let the games begin!

Follow this outline for preparation and you should do just fine. Remember, though, you only get 1 more chance to take the test after the first try, so try to make the first one as good as you can. Do all of this and everything should work out great.

Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions! I hope this helps at least a little!!!

FlyinHigh

You get more than one try after your first, you get a total of three tries. 31 days between the 1st and 2nd and 181 days between the 2nd and 3rd. I wish I didnt know this but failed the first time and this is what my OSO said. Get my scores back from round two on Tuesday... hopefully at least a 4/6!

d_bossart

I agree, the ARCO book is the best. It was the only study aid I had and I passed first time back when I took the test in 00 (I hear there is new version now). Dont sweat it, just study the info inside and out and you will be fine. I new nothing about electrical computations and had only basic math but the ARCO book allowed me to pass. I guess the only other good thing would be to play some flight simulator games, since the spacial aperception is weighed the heaviest (or at least was when I took it). If you have a PS2 I would highly recommend Ace Combat 4.

VAmookie

yes, i was wrong about gravitational "velocity"... its gravitational "acceleration," more of a typo than "not knowing the waters im pissing in." As for calculations used for computational purposes, that standard acceleration is more than suffecient for the ASTB, if it is even relevant to the test at all (took it over a year ago)

GTIGirlVR6

ARCO newest edition is not out until October....think I should wait or should I get an older edition? ( I don't even know if this is possible at this point)

Cdyboy

the 2004 one is fine, what you should do is also practice the READING COMPREHENSION, ARITHMETIC REASONING, MATH KNOWLEDGE, and Aviation parts from the AFOQT because the new version of the ASTB is laid out into 6 parts now:
1. Math
2. Reading Comprehension
3. Mechanical
4. SA
5. Aviation & Nautical Information
6. Supplemental Aviation (just a combination of reading comp., math, Mech., Aviation Questions)

P.S. GTIGirlVR6- check you private messages!

Status
Not open for further replies.