• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB help

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinHigh

I already took form 3 of the new test, i got my scores and they were a 4/4, my OSO said he does not know if the curve is the same as the old exam which in this case would be failing. i however will not look at it optimistically and have already concluded that i failed, so i will retake it in two weeks. can anyone tell me who has passed the NEW test (form 3/4/5) how they studied for the test and what to study, thanks a lot.

FlyinHigh

also i had a question that i remembered from form 3,... it something to do with pressures,

if a beach ball is submerged would it be bigger or smaller at a deep depth?
or
and would a balloon be bigger or smaller if it is at a higher altitude?

what is the best antisubmarine warfare? depth charges, tridents, torpodeos or someother answer it was an ancronym like ACSW or something

in a two-stoke engine what is the second stroke?

when does an airplane pull the most g's? flying straight up, inverted, or straight down

thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
settle down Beavis

FlyinHigh said:
also i had a question that i remembered from form 3,... it something to do with pressures,
if a beach ball is submerged would it be bigger or smaller at a deep depth?
or
and would a balloon be bigger or smaller if it is at a higher altitude?
what is the best antisubmarine warfare? depth charges, tridents, torpodeos or someother answer it was an ancronym like ACSW or something
in a two-stoke engine what is the second stroke?
when does an airplane pull the most g's? flying straight up, inverted, or straight down
thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated

I am not a scientist, or very smart but i think:

deeper the ball goes, smaller it gets (pressure increases with depth, ah Tactical Oceanography, you save the day again...)

higher the balloon goes...bigger it gets...less pressure

anti submarine question...you gotta be more specific with your options for the answer dude, but the standard USN response is always "the best way to find/kill a sub is with another sub"

FlyinHigh

thanks for the insight guys, yeah these were all questions on the ASTB form3 that i remember having problems with, i know there were more i just have to think about them. ill fire away any more i can remember

FlyinHigh

if given a set of latitude/longitude coordinates how are you supposed to be able to determine where exactly you are? i mean i understand the whole north/south east/west and eliminate as much as possible but on the test it seemed that two of them were in the general area where they were asking....

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Taking it in the morning. I'll post as soon as I get back, so I can jot down what I remember. I'm just ready to get it over with.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
I would agree with Michael and say that you will feel more G's going straight up becuase you are going against gravity, coming down you are going with gravity and therefore it wouldn't be as intense. I also agree with Zab about the best way to kill a sub is with another sub, so if Submarine is one of the options, go with that. He is also right about the ball, the deeper you go, the more pressure on the outside, causing it to shrink, the higher you go, less pressure, blah blah blah...

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
FlyinHigh said:
if given a set of latitude/longitude coordinates how are you supposed to be able to determine where exactly you are? i mean i understand the whole north/south east/west and eliminate as much as possible but on the test it seemed that two of them were in the general area where they were asking....

I think this question is something like given the following coordinates, where are you? Then theres 4 choices like some city in mexico, africa, somewhere in asia, and an ocean....or something like that. I guess the only way really to practice something like that is to look at a map and see roughly where some major countries are at. That way if you get some coordinates that you know are near North america, you can eliminate the asia one and so on...

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
This is the same post I made in the "Caution new tests are out, and I was the guinea pig" thread.

Just took got done with version 3 about an hour ago. Here's what I found out...

Math - Nothing surprising. Similar to the guide off this site, and the ARCO book. Study those two, and you'll do fine. Only section that I was pressed for time on. Finished with about 30 sec. left.

Reading Comp. - Seemed to be easier than the ARCO book. In the ARCO book there's different types of questions (I.E. what word is used wrong, and pick the one in it's space. or the paragraph above would best be described with the folowing sentance, etc). Well, on the test, they were all the same. You just had to pick out the answer that best described the paragraph or quote. Don't worry. There not long either. I had plenty of time on this test.

Mechanical Comp. - Again, the guide on this website and the ARCO book will serve you well. Nothing surprising. Only one or two electrical questions that I can remember. Make sure to know V= I*R (Ohm's Law). It was on there.

Spacial Apperception - The little plane in the picture, and the picture itself is different, so that took a minute to get used to. It was 15 minutes for 25 questions. I had time to go over them all twice. The angles are little harder to tell, but just use the process of elimination. If it's banking right, diving, and going towards the sea, rule out the ones banking left first. Then rule out the ones going towards the land. That'll usually narrow down to two or three if you can't get it right off. If you study it well enough, though, you should be able to tell what it is without looking at the answers, so all you have to do is find the right one. One thing I did realize though. The ARCO book has the depiction of you going to "down the coastline" as half the sea on the right/left and the land on the other half. I don't remember one "down the coastline" option on the SA. They were either, out to sea, towards land, or out to sea/towards the land at a diagonal. Study them well, and you'll have plenty of time to go back over the to double check.

Aviation.Nautical - This was the section that had the most "I'm not sure" guesses on it. Both the questions about rules of the road were on there. Know what the standard barometric pressure at sea level is. 29.92. If two comm. radios go out, what will the reading on the transponder show? The answers were 7500, 7600, 7700, 7800. Didn't know that one. That's all I can remember.

Aviation Supplemental - A good mixture of all the tests except SA. I do remember a geometry one dealing with SIN. Easy. The Captain told me before this section that there were two that would not be graded. Indeed, those two were hardly even understandable. One was that one about the number is closest to, but there was no number to compare to. When you make it this far into the ASTB, it's all down hill. I didn't find this section to be real hard. Basic nautical terms like bulkhead, forecastle, control tower. Aviation terms like what color are the lights on the taxiway. Blue. There was a few more Reading Comp. and two or three Mechanical ones. One math one that I remember was:

2xsq. + 5x - 3
------------- = 8, solve for x.
x + 3

Overall, I feel very confident in how I did. Thanks to all the gouge on this site, and the ARCO study guide, I think I made what I needed to to get the air contract. Thanks again, and hopefully I've helped out. I know I've taken a lot from this site, so I'd like to give back my share.

While I was going over my SA for the second time, my OSO was talking to a guy that just graduated seniors on speaker phone. It was motivating. I'm out.

TargetInSight

Uhuh

FlyinHigh said:
how they studied for the test and what to study, thanks a lot.
You find the cutest math major at your school, tell her you feel called to protect your country, and that you need her help to protect the nation.

Spend hours studying with her, and letting her teach you. If you are unsure, let her explain each and every step. Insist that even though cannot pay her (as all your funds have gone to the Children of Africa), that you feel you must take her out. Further insist that it is her duty as an American to let you pay her back in this and other manners.

Good luck!

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
mm yeah and when you get a question right she will take off an article of clothing...oh wait that was a movie I saw...well it could still happen. But to be honest there are no cute math majors.

FlyinHigh

gee that sounds like one hell of a plan but i got to go with leatherneck, i dont remember there being any hot chicks in any of my classes, i mean im usually the one tutoring the hot girls, since usually they are in like college algebra or something like that, but thanks for the idea

Status
Not open for further replies.