• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Arnold's Pullup workout for Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob

Classic Schwarzenegger workout:
Do as many sets as it takes to get to thirty reps (ie. if you can only do two, do 15 sets of two) work your way up to ten reps for three sets, then try to get forty reps. I recommend doing this three times a week, no more or you risk overtraining (I haven't been working out as much as I used to, but I can still bang out 25 strict wide-grip pullups by just using this technique). Also take the creatine and protein...you should be good to go in three weeks time. Also work your biceps...important.

Raptor2216

Thanks for the hint. I went and got some creatine along with some vitamins. Whats the best source of protien? I'm thinking steak but i'm sure i'm wrong. Hows this for a workout:

3 sets and 10 reps of each of the following-
incline bench
decline bench
and flat bench

3 sets of-
I don't know what it's called but its a machine for the abbs and i'm doing about 70 lbs on that at about 30-45 reps.

3 sets of 20 reps on the bicepts, and also doing some shoulder work.

Also, I don't know the name of the machine but its for the back and someone on this board informed me that it's good for pull-ups. I'm hitting about 50lbs on that, 3 sets, 30 reps.

So, am I missing anything? If i need to add anything else to my routine then please let me know. Also, i'm just wondering but is that creatine stuff healthy? I have heard some bad things about it so i'm a little hesitant to open up the jar. Thanks for the help.

Gator

If you want to work on your pullups working you should definitely be doing exercises to strengthening the back muscles and biceps. There are various types of exercises that you can do, but I would reccomend sticking to the basics (cable pull downs, seated rows and weighted pullups) when you first start. For my back workout I start with 50 dead hang pullups (As many sets as it takes), then do 3 exercises for the back. I usually do 3 sets and 8-12 reps per exercise, progressively increasing the weight each set. When the Corps went to dead hang pullups most of the guys in my detachment weren't able to do more than 10 but in a couple of months working out they could all do close to 20. Just work on it. Also, if you are going to start lifting you should make sure that you work out all of your body parts. There are always supporting muscles at work that you don't think about. Good luck!

rob

In my opinion, you should always start out with the pullups (or, at least, wide grip cable pulldowns), then move on to a nuetral grip rowing exercise which targets the middle lats and traps...finish with a close grip pulldown...great back workout.
Make sure you are working your biceps and rear shoulders as well.
As for protein...I agree that tuna is a great source, just eat a whole can. Protein shakes are a great way to add to your intake. Basically, eat a gram of protein per pound of body weight. Example...I weigh about 180 lbs. I try to eat six meals with approx. 30 grams of protein per meal.

Gator

Protein is definitely a key ingredient foe getting stronger and gaining lean mass. However if you don't eat enough carbs you'll be limiting your potential. Check out the website for Muscle and Fitness magazine they ususally have good info on the ratio of carbs, protein and fat that you should eat depending on what you are trying to do with your body.

Raptor2216

Thanks for the hits guys. I'm trying to fit all of this into my routine and as of right now I can exactlly 3 pull-ups easily(4 if I stress it a bit), about 40 crunches. I just spoke with the staff sg. and he told me to also do push-ups and changing the distance between my hands as I go on. So, i'll try that out also and see how it works. As far as the creatine goes, i'm not too sure if I should begin taking it because I have heard some bad stuff about it lately. I definately will increase my protein intake since i'm not getting enough of it at the moment. Thanks again.

Gator

I've taken creatine in the past and did not have any side effects from it. There is some controversy as to whether or not it is beneficial and how severe the side effects if any could be. The main side effect that I do know of for sure is that it can increase your chance of becoming dehydrated. So if you do decide to use it drink plenty of water. I've had just as good of results from not taking it as when I did take it. Your call.

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
Creatine is a naturally occuring compound synthesized mainly I believe by the kidneys. It basically allows you to work out harder by increasing the resynthesis of ATP (energy), and acting as a lactic acid buffer. So basically you can work out harder and recover quicker. The main complaints that I have heard from people who frequently use creatine have been cramps and dehydration. I have also heard from a couple of wrestlers that they quite using creatine because they were gaining too much weight too quickly. In all, I would stay away from the supplements unless you are consistently working out hard and not seeing any benefits.
BTW All of those pullup routines sound great. Does anybody have any tips on training for the three mile? I Won't ever see a 300 PFT if I can't get my run time down.

Semper Fidelis

Cpl. Miles

Gator

I have to say that I'm one of those lucky people that never really had to do anything other than normal pt and I still ran a 300 PFT. However, mixing up your type of training for the run can be beneficial. You can try varying your routine by running intervals and other speed drills. FOr intervals go to a track or some other course where you know the distance. IF you are on the track run at a quick pace for the straight aways and then slow you pace down on the turns. Start with a total distance and pace that is comfortable for you. As you progress increase the mileage and distance. As far as other speed drills go you can run variations of sprints (up hill sprints, suicides, etc..). If you go all out on the sprints and other speed drills you will increase your stamina for running at a fast pace. I knwow that I'm more tired and winded after running sprints than after I run a typical 3 mile course. Good luck and Semper Fi!

Status
Not open for further replies.