• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army's Alternative Professional Program - Graduate from West Point to NFL?

VAmookie

Go to those schools and tell their presidents to screw academics; their sole purpose is sports. See how long you actually spend in their office . . .

And while I'm on my soapbox... you obviously didnt go to a Div-I school, or at least not one that was any good (good at bringing in football money, not necerssarily good at winning), cause the above statement would lead a person to believe you're living in the dark

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
And while I'm on my soapbox... you obviously didnt go to a Div-I school, or at least not one that was any good (good at bringing in football money, not necerssarily good at winning), cause the above statement would lead a person to believe you're living in the dark

I'm gonna bet 10 bucks he did go to a verrrrrrrrry big Div-I school with a very good football program... hmmm.... "nittany03"

What could it mean?

We'll see you next time on...

cast.jpg

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I'm gonna bet 10 bucks he did go to a verrrrrrrrry big Div-I school with a very good football program... hmmm.... "nittany03"
...and the only football program in the nation where the head coach legitamately gives more of a shit about his players' development as people than about his program's success. Of course, that's not going to last much longer.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
...and the only football program in the nation where the head coach legitamately gives more of a shit about his players' development as people than about his program's success. Of course, that's not going to last much longer.

Amen to that. Grew up in Huntingdon, 25 miles south of Happy Valley. JoePa should die in the Head Coach position, as long as he is of sound mind. It is a shame that he gets scrutinized so much for the things he's been doing in recent years, but he doesn't waver, and he keeps the players accountable. It sucks that there were so many legal issues this past season too, but they continue to drive on. I liked it when they disclosed his salary, too. Very humble man, dedicated to the school he's been affiliated with for life.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Concur with all that stuff about JoePa. Visited Penn State in my college search and the love for the man and the program he built is clear and his love for the school and the students, similarly.

In terms of holding people accountable, I did see in the news today that LSU kicked their sophomore QB star off the team for all of his actions...

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
You'll have to post a link for that one. He was a good QB, working tandem with their other senior QB this past season.

The big, good schools are under more scrutiny in recent years. They find themselves more hardpressed to do the right thing in order to stay within the intent of the NCAA and their comprehensive action policies. It is eye opening when you see schools like Alabama or Miami voluntarily placing their own teams on suspension for bad recruiting practices and having ineligible students on the field during key games. You can always sharpshoot their actions and usually find an alterior motive if you have been following the team for a while.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It's good to see that happen, especially today. I'm wondering if NCAA football teams cracking down are related to the NFLs crackdown on troubled players. I'm glad off the field antics are no longer being tolerated for the sake of championships. It's actions like these that help teach younger generations, or so I hope.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Thanks DanMav. Good for Les Miles. Another rising coach with a brass pair. Squashing rumors of him going back to his Alma Mater, Michigan when they were getting ready to play a National Championship game. I liked it. I thought it was so much better than "No Comment". It came across with sincere conviction. I'm glad he got rid of the QB too. He would have led plenty of other young recruits down the same path, making them think it was right.

phrogpilot73

That would be the classic "5 and dive," a favorite for many SWO's
Surprisingly, the guys that I knew that were "5 and dive" are still on active duty. I was planning on a career, and I'm in the reserves.

My Dad's plan was to do the minimum required to repay his boat school experience and get out. 29 years later, he retired as an O-6.

There's nothing wrong with the guys that think "5 and dive".

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many members of my class are planning on doing the "five and dive." It's a big reason why we had the most SWO selectees in recent history out of the Academy. Personally, I have no problem with it, they're doing what they signed up to do. It's people like this that I have problems with. http://formerspook.blogspot.com/2007/08/taking-pass.html
Unfortunately, they get more attention from the press than all of the graduates who go and serve out their commitments without complaint.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Many members of my class are planning on doing the "five and dive." It's a big reason why we had the most SWO selectees in recent history out of the Academy. Personally, I have no problem with it, they're doing what they signed up to do. It's people like this that I have problems with. http://formerspook.blogspot.com/2007/08/taking-pass.html
Unfortunately, they get more attention from the press than all of the graduates who go and serve out their commitments without complaint.

Wow, I had no idea he did that. I've been searching Google to no avail to hear what happened to him. Does anyone have the scoop if the Navy is making him crank for three years? That'd be pretty fitting in my opinion.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last I heard, they made him serve out his enlisted commitment on the Truman, but that could've changed.

LivinMyDream

pilot
Bringing the thread back full circle, this was just released today:

The U.S. Army revised its interpretation of U.S. Department of Defense policy two weeks ago regarding soldiers playing professional sports, requiring cadets to complete two years of active duty before applying for a release. Campbell and the Lions didn’t officially receive notice of the change until the eve of training camp.
Therefore, Campbell will be fulfilling his commitment to the Army (at least partially) no matter what.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
The info on Thomlinson not graduating was a year ago - I couldnt find anything current about what ended up happening. Anyone know if he had to pay or if he is in the fleet?