• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army's Alternative Professional Program - Graduate from West Point to NFL?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So where does the money for an athletic scholarship to a state university come from then?

It is not just from state money, which has been a decreasing percentage of state school budgets for several years, often times the money for scholarships comes from alumni contributions or the school's endowment.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3361421&n8pe6c=1&categoryId=3060647

Wanted to get people's thoughts on this.

Army is allowing their top athletic prospects to go directly to professional sports while recruiting in the off-season.

there are some really STRONG views on this over on the CC forum, with some ppl almost coming to virtual blows. 2 have already quit the USNA subforum over there over this topic. 120 messages in the thread:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...0185-hypocrisy-west-point-secondsout-com.html

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Unfortunately, his fate didn't exactly encourage others to follow his path.

At least he wasn't a Riddick Bowe--talk about fates worse than death.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
you are right on the tigers vs iraq thing. Tillman however, turned down the American dream with a Multi $Million (13mil I think) contract in hand. The cadet that took the draft to go to the minors didn't make anything. Baseball is a different animal. Like he said though, he wouldn't trade the experience, but blood runs thicker than cash in this instance and he was moved by his brother, and his former training in the academy to go and serve. That is the difference in media coverage on this. I'd like to choke slam some of those sticks as well.

I'm throwing this on the end here as well for something else unrelated to your post, but what was also said above somewhere: I don't think Campbell's first thought when deciding to go to USMA was to get a chance to play NFL football. You'd really be foolish to think of such a thing unless you were going to the USAFA due to their most consisent ranking in the AP top 25 and their offensive style. If the Academies weren't semi thinking like any other D1A program in the last 15 years, then why do they compete at the D1 level? I think it is awesome that year in and year out they prove that they can compete with these schools, but why don't they compete with Ivy League or D1AA non scholarship or something comparable to what their school is. The education is free either way.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
^^^
Hmm. I feel like some of the quotes in there... I would not have used them.

I am beginning to wonder just how many Academy students are primarily after a free and extremely prestigious education (understanding the suck of their schooling and subsequent service as payback) rather than seeing commissioning and serving as their primary goal.

I'm not ragging on the Academies, but I definitely know attendees who are doing fine there and intend to "tolerate" their service until they can move on to other things.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
^^^
Hmm. I feel like some of the quotes in there... I would not have used them.

I am beginning to wonder just how many Academy students are primarily after a free and extremely prestigious education (understanding the suck of their schooling and subsequent service as payback) rather than seeing commissioning and serving as their primary goal.

I'm not ragging on the Academies, but I definitely know attendees who are doing fine there and intend to "tolerate" their service until they can move on to other things.

I think by and large you see people here who want to serve in the Navy or Marines for well past their initial committment. You only hear about the ones griping and moaning and how they want to get out. Additionally, I think some people mis-perceive (is that a word?) that the fleet/Corps are like the Academy and as such, the Academy burns them out. My $.02. Not sure how coherent this is... just taking a study break from finals... need to get to bed.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

That would be the classic "5 and dive," a favorite for many SWO's

And there isn't anything wrong with that. If they served their time honorably to the best of their ability then they have satisfied their commitment. Shake their hand, say "thank you" and move on.

VAmookie

I think the whole deal is b.s. The service academies should have one purpose, and that is to create leaders on the battlefield. If someone wants to play pro ball then they should enroll at a Div I school who's sole purpose is sports, like OU or Miami for instance.

Um... mother russia is calling.... pscho