• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army and Navy work together...Great pic

bluesig1

sure thing
None
those are a couple of the 160th birds. From what I have been told they have been testing several different paint schemes that might be better than olive green(black, tiger stripes, grey). Go nightstalkers!!

robav8r

None
Contributor
I sat next to a guy on a plane recently who said he was a squad leader for "Landing Zone Security" in the 160th. I'm "told" they (the 160th) do some pretty amazing stuff - but hey, what do I know, I'm just a slimmy squid !!!
:D

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That paint scheme is terrible for anything but Europe in the spring summer and fall. The USN/USMC gray is so much more effective over the terrain we are currently doing combat ops over and still isnt too bad over European type terrain. IF you only fly at night it isnt bad but other than that it sucks!
I know of one National Guard Apache unit that said fuck it and got their birds painted gray at NADEP Cherry Point. I never saw any stats but I bet it was better than other Apaches as far as SAFIREs.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
How much training did those guys have to get to land on ships? Did it vary at all compared to Navy/Marine helos?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
That paint scheme is terrible for anything but Europe in the spring summer and fall. The USN/USMC gray is so much more effective over the terrain we are currently doing combat ops over and still isnt too bad over European type terrain. IF you only fly at night it isnt bad but other than that it sucks!
I know of one National Guard Apache unit that said fuck it and got their birds painted gray at NADEP Cherry Point. I never saw any stats but I bet it was better than other Apaches as far as SAFIREs.

I imagine the A-10 bubbas came to the same conclusion.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
How much training did those guys have to get to land on ships? Did it vary at all compared to Navy/Marine helos?

Can't speak to the 160 guys, but I did some of the training for CA NG 47 drivers some years back. They did the standard navy 6 dlq's to a qual. Through an arrangement with CNAF they had one of us go along for their instructor's intitial qualification.

(As a side note, the first instructor that qualed with me had 17.5k hours of helo time - over 8k in a 47. Yeah, I said 17.5.)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't speak to the 160 guys, but I did some of the training for CA NG 47 drivers some years back. They did the standard navy 6 dlq's to a qual. Through an arrangement with CNAF they had one of us go along for their instructor's intitial qualification.

(As a side note, the first instructor that qualed with me had 17.5k hours of helo time - over 8k in a 47. Yeah, I said 17.5.)

What was he --- CWO5?

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
"Son, I've got more time in a hover than you've got time in service......"

Thats a lot of hours. In fact, if I sat down in helo right now and left on Feb 28, 2010 it would be almost exactly 17.5K hours. Do the math yourself.

KBayDog

Actually, no. He was a -4 but had been in and out.

17.5K helicopter hours - why am I picturing Quasimodo? I'm pretty sure that I'd be a deaf hunchback after that many hours, too. But, I'm willing to take the chance.

VAmookie

I sat next to a guy on a plane recently who said he was a squad leader for "Landing Zone Security" in the 160th. I'm "told" they (the 160th) do some pretty amazing stuff - but hey, what do I know, I'm just a slimmy squid !!!
:D

What the hell is a slimmy squid?

1rotorhead

pilot
Saw the Apache's at Balad. Huge difference between the grey and black daytime, not much difference at night. Asked the TF pilots why they didn't paint their helos grey like us and they really didn't have an answer, other than that's the way it's always been. surprising considering where we (the US) has done most of its operations over the last 20+ years.