• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army and Navy work together...Great pic

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Calling on Stearmann4 to answer this....

Ironically, we probably hit the decks as much or more than the average Navy helo guy. Except, we make special trips to chase a boat around the country for our 2 days of decks. We once left Ft Campbell, KY to Texas, then to Key West, and up the east Coast to get a bunch of new guys qualled.

Being in WA now, we hit every damned ship that comes up the coast. We also take a flight of 6 non-stop (AR) to NASNI a few times a year to hit the big decks. We're required to be current and profficent beacsue we frequentget calls to pack up and head to the nearest boat for transport.

The black...we actually have a couple of birds of all types painted gray (no markings). They actually do work better than the black. The unofficial story line was one of our commanders a few years ago liked black..mystique, whatever so they are still black. It has been proven that black works better in urban environments. That's the bulk of our business so you figure out the details. It also helps facilitate public conspiracy theorists. We've been accused of all kinds of mischief in the NW.

By the way, that picture of the 47 was my company about 3 years ago.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Probably not

Well, we definitely don't deploy on the decks regularly, but depending on OPTEMPO, guys will get a deck trip at least twice a month for a couple of days. We on the coast obviously get more than the land locked guys.

When I was in 46s I don't remember doing alot of deck currency excpet prior to deploying. I'm sure it's alot different now.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I remember seeing about a year back a picture of an Apache landing on an anphib. It was on navy.mil but I cant seem to find it again.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, we definitely don't deploy on the decks regularly, but depending on OPTEMPO, guys will get a deck trip at least twice a month for a couple of days. We on the coast obviously get more than the land locked guys.

When I was in 46s I don't remember doing alot of deck currency excpet prior to deploying. I'm sure it's alot different now.
Oh, I see what you are saying. Not counting being at sea, you might hit the boat more often than a squadron before or during the first part of workups. Of course, comparing it to 46's might not be a fair comparison to 60's, since they are more limited to what they can land on, and have possibly less stringent currency and proficiency requirements.

phrogpilot73

Oh, I see what you are saying. Not counting being at sea, you might hit the boat more often than a squadron before or during the first part of workups. Of course, comparing it to 46's might not be a fair comparison to 60's, since they are more limited to what they can land on, and have possibly less stringent currency and proficiency requirements.
Are you talking 46's being more limited into what we can land on? Or 60's? I haven't checked the Ships Resume in a while, but I seem to remember there wasn't much we couldn't land on. I think the currency and proficiency probably mirror each other as well. If I remember correctly, you had to have hit the boat w/in a year to be "current" and to be "proficient" to carry anybody to said boat, we had to hit the deck w/in 30 days. Of course, those numbers are for USMC Phrog guys...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Are you talking 46's being more limited into what we can land on? Or 60's? I haven't checked the Ships Resume in a while, but I seem to remember there wasn't much we couldn't land on. I think the currency and proficiency probably mirror each other as well. If I remember correctly, you had to have hit the boat w/in a year to be "current" and to be "proficient" to carry anybody to said boat, we had to hit the deck w/in 30 days. Of course, those numbers are for USMC Phrog guys...

Oh, maybe I'm getting it wrong, can 46s land on FFGs, DDGs, and CGs? For some reason I thought they couldn't.

SH-60OB

pilot
Ironically, we probably hit the decks as much or more than the average Navy helo guy. Except, we make special trips to chase a boat around the country for our 2 days of decks. We once left Ft Campbell, KY to Texas, then to Key West, and up the east Coast to get a bunch of new guys qualled.

Being in WA now, we hit every damned ship that comes up the coast. We also take a flight of 6 non-stop (AR) to NASNI a few times a year to hit the big decks. We're required to be current and profficent beacsue we frequentget calls to pack up and head to the nearest boat for transport.

Issue for the HSL/HSM bubbas is that you can get single spot (DLQ) current on a lot of different ships but to need a RAST capable ship to get RLQ current which is required for how we operate.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Issue for the HSL/HSM bubbas is that you can get single spot (DLQ) current on a lot of different ships but to need a RAST capable ship to get RLQ current which is required for how we operate.

Threadjack

I know RAST is good for coming home to a pitching deck. Does it help with launching from the same pitching deck?

/Threadjack

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I thought it was "waiverable" after your initial. I may be remembering wrong (it's been a few years), but I seem to remember a cable snapping or not working and it being okay for the qual.

@HeloBubba:

It does nothing for the takeoff and many would argue it makes landing harder. Maybe not for the actual touchdown, but for all the drama required to get hooked up before hand.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Back in high school, my math class supported an Army Division by sending them a bunch of packages all the time. Then out of the blue one day, a Major walks in, interrupts class, and gave us a presentation and an American flag they flew over Iraq on a mission... they were a special ops group of pilots and he couldn't tell us really much of their missions, but he showed us some pictures of them landing and going off a carrier, again, which one I can't remember (Roosevelt rings a bell though?). I seem to recall him saying it was the first time the Army had operated (maybe for extended periods of time) off a U.S. Navy carrier... I thought the story was pretty sick.

Gosh, I wish I could remember it all.

Then I found 20 bucks... Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Does anyone know of a special ops type squadron of Apaches the Army has? I feel like a retard right now because I can't remember much of it...