• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Armed Robbery at Camp Pendleton

Renegade One

None
I'm guessing it's so running gun battles won't break out. Best thing to do in a store robbery is let 'em go...nothing for sale in there worth dying for...or killing over.

snake020

Contributor
I agree with you, but if people are allowed to carry on base, you'd think that would serve as a deterrent to armed robbery.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I agree with you, but if people are allowed to carry on base, you'd think that would serve as a deterrent to armed robbery.

I doubt anyone willing to rob anything is really concerned with who is and is not packing heat. They aren't thinking far enough beyond to see the real consequences, even if those include getting shot or dying.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What deterrs people from robbing stores on base is that they lock the base down and you're basically trapped. Plus, even unarmed, the average patron in those stores is more likely to kick your ass than out in town.

Some numbnuts tried to rob the bank on MCAS Yuma many years ago. He walked in, told the clerk to give him all the money (did not appear to be armed, and he wasn't), the clerk told him to get bent and called the cops. They found him sitting in the parking lot.

Every MP within 100 miles of Yuma got in on that one. They probably still jerk off to that story. It's more exciting than busting LCpls for blazing accross base at 36 in a 30, I guess.

GroundPounder

I doubt anyone willing to rob anything is really concerned with who is and is not packing heat. They aren't thinking far enough beyond to see the real consequences, even if those include getting shot or dying.

You are wrong, criminials are not stupid, and in most cases act within what would be considered logical thought. Given the choice of a possibly armed victim and an unarmed victim they will choose the safer of the two almost always. Corner gas stations are the vicitms of armed robberies all the time, gun stores not so much.

Criminals should be viewed as what they are, predators, and as such go for the weakest target that they can find.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The community around the base is heavy on gang activity,

Access to the base is pretty easy...can you say dependants?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
To get to snake's question though, is there a specific reason for not allowing carry on base, or is it just one of those "that's the way it's always been" kind of rules?

GroundPounder

Don't watch Cops much, do you?

A lot more gas stations than gun stores, and I would guess that most have a lot more cash lying around too.

12.5 hours a day of being the police for 18 years greatly decreases your desire to watch cops. But you make a valid point, I should have said " most violent offenders " Also Cops tends to give an inaccurate depiction of day to day police operations.

Actually if the clerks are doing what they are supposed to, and dropping their money as instructed, there is usually less than $ 50.00 to be had.

All that being said, I'm sure that you could find cases where an armed robber walked past a patrol car to enter the bank they were preparing to rob. I should have been less definitive.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Isn't there a kind of irony in policies that have you cooperate with the criminal so they won't hurt you?

I have been fired from two jobs (Domino's Pizza & 7-11) for carrying a weapon (legally) and using it when I have been robbed. I worked for the Domino's right down US 17 from NAS Jax in the late 1980's (don't know if it is still there) and had to deliver to an address off of Collins Road when I had a gun stuck in my ear. I gave him the money and was prepared to wait it out when he shot at my car. I returned fire missing him and hitting his car. The police had no problem with my actions, but when I returned to the store I was promptly fired. I was offered my job back two weeks later after the Manager, Assistant Manager and three drivers were found in the freezer of an Orlando store, shot in the back of the head. They had cooperated too, to the point of the Manager opening the store safe for them.

I worked the 11 to 7 shift at a 7-11 in PA in 1991. The girl I replaced, quit when she was robbed and after getting the money the guy tried to rape her. The security camera at this store had a wire hanging from it, where the previous robber had ripped it out of the wall, six months ago. Some clown walks in at 3 AM and pulls a knife, I pulled a 9mm Browning and he crapped himself. Same story. Cops had no problem with anything I had done, but, I was fired 5 minutes after they left.

I have to wonder if the reason that we have so many of these robberies is that the people doing them know that they are easy to do and there is little risk to themselves?
If it was me, I'd target the chain stores and leave the Mom and Pops stores alone. Privately owned stores are more likely to have an armed employee.

MasterBates

Walking out of a movie in JAX a couple years back with the ex, a group of thugs basically tried to grab her as we walked around the corner of the building to the car. Some immigrant types that no-speaky-the-english but it was obvious what their intent was (mug/rape).

About 5 of them, one of me and one VERY scared shitless woman in the middle. I did the "let her go NOW" routine and then they said "chula tu madre" which I think is "go fuck your mother".

Step 2. Pull 1911 out of holster, stick in asshole #1s face and click safety off as I draw. Other four bolted, he let her go, she called the cops and they arrested him. Of course the revolving door of justice let him go with time served and no deportation, even though he was not a citizen and he had no proof of being here legally.

JSO had NO PROBLEM with what I did, and the officer who came to court with us was FURIOUS that the guy did not get more than his 60 days in jail waiting for trial.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
I am pro guns everywhere but I do see a little logic behind not allowing firearms on base. It serves to limit the number of weapons that would be available if one or more people decide to overpower the MPs and armorers that are protecting heavier, more expensive weapons systems.

Of course the usual scenario applies, that those with criminal intent will still have the guns while the law-abiding go unarmed, like in this case. And it doesn't make much sense that guys that carry machine guns, fly attack helicopters, etc, can't carry a pistol on their belt.