• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are you assigned any Type of Aircraft in Primary Flight Training?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
WTF is "Triton"?

Production BAMS-D

Aka Global Hawk.

As much as VUP sounds like a shitty way to spend time compared to actually flying. It's a hell of a lot better than the boat, so I see those orders almost being as difficult at VPU/FSU to get for the disassociated.

I also see it becoming the dumping ground for the people who have problems flying the plane/ qualifying during their fleet tours, and OP-T department heads/ other non screens.

The blimp pilot gig used to be a P-3 guy assigned to VXS-1.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Production BAMS-D

Aka Global Hawk.

As much as VUP sounds like a shitty way to spend time compared to actually flying. It's a hell of a lot better than the boat, so I see those orders almost being as difficult at VPU/FSU to get for the disassociated.

I also see it becoming the dumping ground for the people who have problems flying the plane/ qualifying during their fleet tours, and OP-T department heads/ other non screens.

The blimp pilot gig used to be a P-3 guy assigned to VXS-1.

You'd be surprised. From what I'm hearing, there's a lot of interest in VUP in the community. Not so surprising when you think about it though. For a disassoc, if your choices are the Boat or flight time out of Jax that counts as sea duty? How about fuck yes, gimme a robot. I think it'll be desirable orders if the community makes it so (i.e., guys who take VUP orders screen).

VXS-1 is still flying the blimp as far as I know.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The Navy doesn't have that big of a UAS 'community' to warrant taking Cat 1s. Current plan is to make VUP (Tritons) a disassoc sea tour for VP. Fire Scout's future remains to be seen, and I have no idea what the current plan is (I've seen about 10-15 versions).
Current plan is for Fire Scout to go on LCS deployments with HSC squadrons.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
The Navy doesn't have that big of a UAS 'community' to warrant taking Cat 1s. Current plan is to make VUP (Tritons) a disassoc sea tour for VP. Fire Scout's future remains to be seen, and I have no idea what the current plan is (I've seen about 10-15 versions).

Last we were briefed, VUP was going to be a "shore duty" where you could do it for your JO shore duty and still become a DH in a regular VP squadron. However, if you were a DH (sea duty) in VUP, then you had no chance of being a VP XO/CO.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, VUP for shore duty for LT types and for DHs and up it's a sea tour. This year's DH slate had the first guys get selected for VUP DH and it's considered OP DH.

irish28

pilot
VXS-1 is still flying the blimp as far as I know.

Dang, looks like I'm gonna go maritime to try and pick that up! ;) Just hope whichever primary stud made this page doesn't beat me to it.

"Standard blimps and airships soon gave way to Horizontal Engine, Lift-Operated blimps (HELOs), or "helo-copters" for short. Engineers slightly modified the blimps by building a completely different aircraft, but kept the integral spirit of the blimps: vertical takeoff/landing, slow airspeed, and being ridiculously good looking."

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Last we were briefed, VUP was going to be a "shore duty" where you could do it for your JO shore duty and still become a DH in a regular VP squadron. However, if you were a DH (sea duty) in VUP, then you had no chance of being a VP XO/CO.

I'd stay pretty far away from VUP as a shore tour since it's not a traditional production tour like VP-30 that the O-4 board values. Until you see trends of your VUP fairs at the statutory boards, I encourage you to be leery of it because it is different.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd stay pretty far away from VUP as a shore tour since it's not a traditional production tour like VP-30 that the O-4 board values. Until you see trends of your VUP fairs at the statutory boards, I encourage you to be leery of it because it is different.

Yeah, I'd compare Triton or whatever the fuck it is with other general JO shore tours, and think about how it actually compares. Not a "production tour", not in the community (at least by more than a potential preponderance of community folks dumped into it), not "joint" (lots of those, many are legit, but only the most useless seem to "count"), not a flag staff job, so essentially that puts you in no mans land like VFC or NROTC instructor where you don't come back. No dog in this fight, but if it were me, that would be the entry after the bottom of my JO slate list.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

... No dog in this fight, but if it were me, that would be the entry after the bottom of my JO slate list.

I have no dog in this fight either, and I don't know much about VP politics (and don't want to). However, consider that the community is dumping a lot of money into VUP and building infrastructure...Triton's going to be around for a while. Second, it smells like one of those self-fulfilling prophecies the Navy's so good at. Hot-runners don't go to VUP because it's not competitive...it's not competitive because the hot-runners don't go there. It might not be 'production' but, hell, it is operational.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I have no dog in this fight either, and I don't know much about VP politics (and don't want to). However, consider that the community is dumping a lot of money into VUP and building infrastructure...Triton's going to be around for a while. Second, it smells like one of those self-fulfilling prophecies the Navy's so good at. Hot-runners don't go to VUP because it's not competitive...it's not competitive because the hot-runners don't go there. It might not be 'production' but, hell, it is operational.

Then why's it being considered a shore tour if its operational? That's going to create a heap of confusion for the board.

How can it be considered competitive as a second tour when the word is that the OP-DH's going there won't get command of a squadron regardless of how good they do. That's the line of thinking for the OP-T guys.

I see VUP evolving into something above TACRON on the spectrum of desirability and below the VTs for orders depending on the number of anchors people have on their wings. Fleet flying tour, VT/VUP, TACRON.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
What were on your Dream sheet? Also did you see any one clearly upset with what they got assigned?
I don't mean to butt in...but I put "1. Props 2. Props 3. Props 4. Props" on my dream sheet while in VT-2 in 1987. Do NOT do this!!! Skipper put me on my face for not putting all the pipelines! Also, I saw some people that were upset with what they received out of primary...some were so upset that they DOR'd. I was mildly upset initially (I got helos)...BUT I was also just damn glad to be there since I almost attrited out of VT-2. In the end, I was pretty yippy skippy to get helos...good times! :cool:

KilroyUSN

None
Then why's it being considered a shore tour if its operational? That's going to create a heap of confusion for the board.

How can it be considered competitive as a second tour when the word is that the OP-DH's going there won't get command of a squadron regardless of how good they do. That's the line of thinking for the OP-T guys.

I see VUP evolving into something above TACRON on the spectrum of desirability and below the VTs for orders depending on the number of anchors people have on their wings. Fleet flying tour, VT/VUP, TACRON.

The gouge we received, was that in order to be a VUP XO/CO, you would have had to of done your DH tour as a VUP guy. So in that sense it wouldn't prevent you from getting command of a squadron.

As a NFO JO (for shore duty), you would not go "on deployment", however as a Pilot JO (shore duty) and as a DH (for sea duty), you would have "deployments".
Either way with the numbers I have heard to man the VUP squadrons, they are going to need a LOT of bodies. I wonder if there will even BE any other options for shore duty other than FRS/WTI/VUP/VT's.
If that is the case, if the golden path stays the same, then any JO going VUP for shore duty would be akin to doing ROTC? With DH VUP being slightly better since you can still make CO/XO.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The gouge we received, was that in order to be a VUP XO/CO, you would have had to of done your DH tour as a VUP guy. So in that sense it wouldn't prevent you from getting command of a squadron.

As a NFO JO (for shore duty), you would not go "on deployment", however as a Pilot JO (shore duty) and as a DH (for sea duty), you would have "deployments".
Either way with the numbers I have heard to man the VUP squadrons, they are going to need a LOT of bodies. I wonder if there will even BE any other options for shore duty other than FRS/WTI/VUP/VT's.
If that is the case, if the golden path stays the same, then any JO going VUP for shore duty would be akin to doing ROTC? With DH VUP being slightly better since you can still make CO/XO.

The brief we got last fall said when VUP becomes fully manned only about 20 JOs a year will have the opportunity to do something other than FRS/MPRWS/WTU/forward CTF/VTs/VX/VUP as compared to the roughly 50 now that get to do things like aide, recruiter, NROTC, etc. By your profile you're still doing that CAT-I gig, so at this point just abide by rules 1 and 2 when you're finishing up the syllabus and when you get to the squadron, then strive to make instructor. This will open the most doors. And don't suck in ARP :)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

So once VUP only/always VUP eh? T00 bad they didn't do that with the guys who go VTs for their shore tour.

It makes zero sense to certain types personnel not deploy while others do on shore... It creates a class system inside a class system inside a class system.

Good luck telling pilots they're never going to fly planes again after their fleet tour and will have a deploying shore tour followed by a disassociated sea tour followed by a non flying deploying DH tour followed by a non flying shore tour followed by a non-flying command tour. Sounds like VUP will become harder fill than TSC Kadena/Misawa.

This sounds like a formula for success, and a great way to bleed even more talent from the VP community- as if airline hiring won't do enough on its own over the next decade.

KilroyUSN

None
I am sure they are still ironing out all the details and I am so low on the totem pole that things could have done a 180 by now, however, the JO "shore duty" won't stick you with VUP. That comes after being selected DH VUP.

We shall see when it starts being implemented/utilized.