• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are stories of the SWO community valid?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Sir, I don't know which SWO pissed in your cornflakes on deployment, but not all of them are bottom-of-the-barrel shitbags. It's amazing how a few douchebags can give the entire community a bad name. Such as, dare I say, some stupid ensigns with too much A-Pool free time and firearms. If they'd selected SWO, they would've been doing something useful at that point.

Just sayin'. ;)

An easier question would be: which SWO hasn't pissed in my cornflakes?

When the barrel is so shallow, those on the top aren't so far from those on the bottom.

Kyoowashugi

You see some SWOtavating stuff on your summer cruise? The level of salt you managed to acquire in that short amount of time is unreal.

Actually, no. I spent a month on a stationary, post-deployment frigate and a dull week on a cruiser, but the people had nothing to do with the suck factor. And, everybody knows SWOtivating is spelled with an i ;)

To OP: don't apply because it's easy, apply because it's what you want to do. People who apply because the numbers are the best are why aviators hate SWOs.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
The process is different for OCS than for NROTC, of course, but I made up my mind I wanted to be SWO as a Second Class Midshipman. The times I spent on surface vessels were the most interesting to me. I've never felt the urge to fly. So, if I push myself to qualify for NFO (nuke, not in two weeks, just too weak on science/math), then I should also qualify for SWO if it is my first choice. I'm all about doing more than I have to. If I should PRO-REC for both, maybe I'll come back and ask for opinions on why I should change my mind, but I'd hate to take the spot away from someone who really, really wants it.

I understand that SWO is supervision, and managerial duties. My mother once asked me what an Ensign did and I said... "Walk around spaces with a qualification card, ask a lot of questions, evaluating how the sailors in my division are doing, making sure they're taken care of, writing their fitness reports, counseling them. Learning, essentially, to be a leader." My mother said, "Oh. Sounds like my job. Only on a boat." She's a Senior Reference Librarian, which one of the higher managerial positions in public libraries. And she does a lot of the same stuff. Just not in uniform, or on a boat, or with a qual card.

My hope is that it is also teaching. I'm a Junior High School teacher right now, and a large part of why I grew up is because, gee, things look awfully different when you're the one that is in the position of authority and trying to prevent kids from making stupid mistakes. Once I started teaching, my paradigm shifted, pretty quickly too, comparatively. I would say that the person I was in November 2007 when I began teaching was not the person I was even by May of 2008, six months later. One of the things that has always interested me about SWO is the opportunity to be there for junior enlisted as a resource. I'll be an older ensign compared to my NROTC peers were, with the experiences of four years of the real world. Two rocky years where my debt was crushing, and the last two, that have been so full "gettin er done." If I can help my sailors perform better, just as I am able to help my students perform better, that is definitely of interest to me.

How likely am I to be in a position to teach right off the bat in the aviation pipeline? Serious question. If it is likely, that doesn't jive with the information I had about the pipeline. That is one aspect that could make me reevaluate in my interest.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sir, I don't know which SWO pissed in your cornflakes on deployment, but not all of them are bottom-of-the-barrel shitbags. It's amazing how a few douchebags can give the entire community a bad name. Such as, dare I say, some stupid ensigns with too much A-Pool free time and firearms. If they'd selected SWO, they would've been doing something useful at that point.

Just sayin'. ;)

Not a one of them, son. Are you saying I implied the OP was a "bottom-of-the-barrel shitbag." That's a literary stretch right there...

A better question for the OP is why come to Air Warriors to ask about being a SWO?

So just keep up with your salty cruise veteran, combat hardened advice there midshipmen 2/c...

What do I know? Right?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just ask any SWO about life. Ask yourself why there's a high selection rate. This goes with MOST other things in this world. If it's such a great deal up front, what lies beneath?

Why do sub guys get tons of cash in hand to sign on the dotted line? Because, from all that I've heard from sub guys I met at OCS, sub life sucks ass. They pay for retention, and they pay a mint.

Python

pilot
Contributor

Just sayin'. ;)

Yeah I don't think it's the people that give SWO a bad name, but rather the lifestyle of being a SWO turns people off.

And besides, aviation attrites often go SWO, but you never hear of anybody sucking at SWO and being sent to aviation ;)

sanders

I think part of the reason you constantly see SWO bashing on airwarriors is that this site is made up of people who made the decision to become aviators instead of SWO's. I bet if you go to sailorbob.com you will see plenty of aviator-bashing. But I have never visited that site so maybe I should shut up.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Just sayin'. ;)

I don't give a motherfuck if you added "Sir" or not. You and your minimal real-world experience need to pack sand, learn to infer meaning in text, and shut the fuck up.

See you in a week MIDN.

boobcheese

Why do sub guys get tons of cash in hand to sign on the dotted line? Because, from all that I've heard from sub guys I met at OCS, sub life sucks ass. They pay for retention, and they pay a mint.

By your logic life as an aviator must suck based on the retention bonuses necessary to keep people in. By the way WTF does "pay a mint" mean?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
By your logic life as an aviator must suck based on the retention bonuses necessary to keep people in. By the way WTF does "pay a mint" mean?

Aviators don't get sign on bonuses of 30K or whatever ridiculous amount guys get for sub-nuke. And I don't know when aviators get the ACIP, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit after the 8 year commitment.

A "mint" is a bullshit term, but when paying tens of thousands to sign up and the better part of 100K per person for retention, that's a lot of damn money.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I think part of the reason you constantly see SWO bashing on airwarriors is that this site is made up of people who made the decision to become aviators instead of SWO's.

That decision had nothing to do with it.

20 years of dealing with SWO's and watching their self inflicted pain(that they took every opportunity to try and bring down on everyone else) and their thinking at 10 kts mentality made me realize long ago that someone has to do that job and that people who couldn't cut it as actuaries and accountants make great SWOs.

I simply have nothing in common with any SWO I've ever met and I'm glad.

MasterBates

Lets put it this way.... We get the bonus. Mostly so we can gloat.

Would you like to know what my bonus works out to on a daily basis? :D