• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are stories of the SWO community valid?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Air Warriors isn't a SWO bashing site. I am registered on sailorbob.com, and it is extremely useful for SWO culture. They don't trash on aviation there.

Just curious, are there threads on SailorBob devoted to getting into Navy as an SNA/SNFO out of college?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
swerd - I have a SWO pin and I spent a CD Caribbean deployment on a small boat earning it while my CV was in the yards. When I say STAB, STAB, LOOK, STAB is the SWO doctrine, I do not say it in jest.

If the choice was NA, NFO or SWO, I would do my best to discourage SWO without any doubt. If the choice was SWO or staff puke, I'd encourage SWO because I'm not a support type of person. I'm grateful there are people like you that are willing to take the abuse, but it is not a user-friendly community.

Like it or not, aviators will always bash SWOs. We pity them too - but bashing is more fun.

swerdna

None
Contributor
swerd - I have a SWO pin and I spent a CD Caribbean deployment on a small boat earning it while my CV was in the yards. When I say STAB, STAB, LOOK, STAB is the SWO doctrine, I do not say it in jest.

If the choice was NA, NFO or SWO, I would do my best to discourage SWO without any doubt. If the choice was SWO or staff puke, I'd encourage SWO because I'm not a support type of person. I'm grateful there are people like you that are willing to take the abuse, but it is not a user-friendly community.

Like it or not, aviators will always bash SWOs. We pity then too - but bashing is more fun.

Thanks for being honest. I respect your opinion and take your word for it. However, I don't think that it's that bad. And if it is, I am hoping to try and change it from the inside out, starting with my Sailors. That may seem like an impossible task, but I like a challenge.

In the mean time, have fun bashing but I hope it doesn't affect people who don't have military experience.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look, I was a freaking SWO, dude; two years of my life I'll never get back. I fled to the Brownshoe Side as soon as I could, and it wasn't because the Surface Navy is too happy and relaxed. Polish the turd any way you want, the community is and will remain one big sucking hole of hate and self-flagellation. If there's a way to make an easy job painful, a SWO will find it. Used to be you at least got a nice relaxed four-to-seven months of destroying your liver in Newport at SWO School. Now you don't even get that.

Let me erase all ambiguity: yes, it is that bad. Your Sailors aren't the problem; your Captain and XO probably are, and your Dept Heads definitely are. Let me know how that "change from the inside out" thing works out for you when you try and get them to adjust their world view, Ensign. I hope for your sake that you get a good ship, but I have a feeling your bright-eyed optimism will be a charred and smoking pile within six months of reporting aboard your first boat.

Look, dude, it's the abused-child syndrome. Your bosses were beaten as Ensigns, so they're going to make your life miserable as well because that's the only method of Ensign-rearing they know. You want a good idea of what SWO JO life is really like, read David Poyer's books, especially the earlier ones like "The Circle". Being absolutely dog-ass tired, no sleep in 48 hours with a midwatch to go, a pile of bullshit paperwork in your inbox, and your XO starts giving you shit at dinner because you're lingering over coffee and your CICWO signoffs aren't done yet, and then your DH pitches in with a "And where are those messages I asked you to put together THIS MORNING?" because O-3 fitreps are coming up and he's desperate to fellate the XO... that's the kind of challenge you're in for, my friend.

Saying you want to go SWO because "you like a challenge" is like saying you're going to run a marathon with your crank tied to your shoelaces. Just because it's tougher doesn't mean it's worth doing.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Saying you want to go SWO because "you like a challenge" is like saying you're going to run a marathon with your crank tied to your shoelaces. Just because it's tougher doesn't mean it's worth doing.
Pure written genius.....Fester, you do have a way with words.

Bevo16

pilot
Look, I am the truck wheel, your dreams are the dude pumping gas:

1220517423960-923.gif