• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are stories of the SWO community valid?

CAMike

None
Contributor
Well, there are always at least two sides to every story. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Brett

Ahhh. Brett327 is likely on the right path. DP or not, his/her perceived reality is what it is.

After reading the details in OP's posts : As much as I'd like to take the commands side on this one, I defer for now. I sensed a similar feeling upon my arrival at my first ship and quickly initiated "one on one's" with the command to make sure they understood my desires to have a successful SWO career, post aviation.

There are brief opportunites to set the record straight upon arriving at a new command no matter where you came from and and it's up to each of us to ensure this occurs. If the command turns on you or your situation- then let the cards fall where they may and dont' hold a grudge. Don't let situations like this paint a negative broad brush for those who have yet to begin "their honor to serve".

MIL-Kharma evens out over time -even for SWO's. Again- in most circumstances.

johnritenour@co

Are the Stories of the SWO Community Valid

Hmm...Let's say that if you offered avation attrites in the SWO Community a chance to return to the Airedale Community, most of them would gladly accept...By the way even when the expunge a "bad" fitrep, as in my case, they still put a disclaimer in your jacket, making it appear you are still not a team player...

johnritenour@co

Are the Stories of the SWO Community Valid

Lets play Fallen Angel (Flight Attrite) Jeopardy:

:eek::icon_lol:The answer is......"This officer, like any with involved with the aviation community, completely lacks professiomalism and any ability whatsoever to become a Surface Warfare Officer...."

The question is ......"what sentence in my first fitrep from the SWO Community was grounds for expunging it from my service jacket.....":eek::icon_lol:

....What I wouldn't have given to be returned to the Airedale Community, where I was treated like a professional instead of a red headed step child...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
'Lean Manning'

In another effort to make SWO-dom more fun, 'lean manning' is apparently being partially blamed for the USS Port Royal grounding and problems across the fleet. Just wondering if the impact is really that bad and what the resident SWO/surface types thought of this.

Curiosity question for the SWO's, is it really common to do ops like this (sea trials in and out of port) with a broken fathometer? Seems like a pretty important piece of equipment to me, like a RADALT in a jet, but what the hell do I know? ;)

navy09

None
In another effort to make SWO-dom more fun, 'lean manning' is apparently being partially blamed for the USS Port Royal grounding and problems across the fleet. Just wondering if the impact is really that bad and what the resident SWO/surface types thought of this.

Curiosity question for the SWO's, is it really common to do ops like this (sea trials in and out of port) with a broken fathometer?

WRT no fatho...we've done it. I don't have enough experience to know how big of a deal it really is... In terms of lean manning, here's a shocker- it's not good. No matter how "smart" the ship gets, you still need sailors with a [paintbrush, wrench, swab, rag, etc] in their hand doing work. The more sailors you take away, the more work for everyone else.

I have a First Class in my division that just came from PORT ROYAL :eek: God, what a mess for all involved.

johnritenour@co

Getting Underway with Broken Equipment

:eek: A properly working fathometer is a must! for a harbor that is as shallow as Pearl Harbor. Adding to the fact of how shallow the harbor is,there is still quite a lot of debris from the attack on December 7th. Further exacerbating the issue was the fact the CO reportedly had only slept :sleep_125 for four hours :sleep_125over the previous 2 1/2 days. He was obviously not in the shape to pilot the ship safely out of the harbor.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Lets play Fallen Angel (Flight Attrite) Jeopardy:

:eek::icon_lol:The answer is......"This officer, like any with involved with the aviation community, completely lacks professiomalism and any ability whatsoever to become a Surface Warfare Officer...."

The question is ......"what sentence in my first fitrep from the SWO Community was grounds for expunging it from my service jacket.....":eek::icon_lol:

....What I wouldn't have given to be returned to the Airedale Community, where I was treated like a professional instead of a red headed step child...

That's redonkulous. Even if he wanted to crap on you for whatever legit or semi-legit reason, that line itself was unprofessional.

SWO Bubba

None
Is it typical for aviation attrites who redesignate to SWO get sh*t on by SWOs because they attrited?

No - it is absolutely not typical.

However, it is very common for Officers with bad attitudes and chips on their shoulders to get sh*t on.

I've seen aviation attrites play it extremely well, reporting aboard with enthusiasm and drive and they excel.

I've also seen aviation attrites report aboard with a really bad "I don't want to f*cking be here" attitude. It should be no surprise these Officers don't do well.

It's pretty simple.

SWO Bubba

None
:eek: A properly working fathometer is a must! for a harbor that is as shallow as Pearl Harbor. Adding to the fact of how shallow the harbor is,there is still quite a lot of debris from the attack on December 7th. Further exacerbating the issue was the fact the CO reportedly had only slept :sleep_125 for four hours :sleep_125over the previous 2 1/2 days. He was obviously not in the shape to pilot the ship safely out of the harbor.

fiftycal - I don't know your entire background, but you're talking out of your wahoo.

Pearl is a deep water port - CVNs pull in routinely. There are no hidden nav hazards in the well dredged and well marked channel. Like any class A mishap, there was a chain of errors based on human failures - namely, complete failure to follow established procedures. The sleep deprivation is certainly a causal factor, but the CO is accountable rather than at fault. A proper bridge watch team (especially the nav team) is expected to safely navigate the ship even if the CO is unconscious. The PORT ROYAL incident was an absolute cluster.

The fatho is very important to navigation, but there are procedures for getting underway with an inoperable fatho, procedures that were not followed aboard PORT ROYAL.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
fiftycal - I don't know your entire background, but you're talking out of your wahoo.

Pearl is a deep water port - CVNs pull in routinely. There are no hidden nav hazards in the well dredged and well marked channel. Like any class A mishap, there was a chain of errors based on human failures - namely, complete failure to follow established procedures. The sleep deprivation is certainly a causal factor, but the CO is accountable rather than at fault. A proper bridge watch team (especially the nav team) is expected to safely navigate the ship even if the CO is unconscious. The PORT ROYAL incident was an absolute cluster.

I didn't say anything (that whole staying in my lane), but I thought his comment was kind of odd. I've been in and out of Pearl a bunch of times (and flown over it), and there's very little drama going in and out of there w/ a very short sea and anchor.

Appreciate the correction.

BigL17

for four hours :sleep_125over the previous 2 1/2 days. He was obviously not in the shape to pilot the ship safely out of the harbor.

Actually, Capt. John Carroll, had only 4½ hours of sleep in 24 hours, and 15 hours’ sleep over three days.

Do you guys believe that the "Fleet Fixes" for instances the addition of 122 new billets will notably affect the Navy's under manning problem?