• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are Naval Officers Sailors, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ae2wolfe

That COD pilot better be a sailor because if his ship come under attack they're not going to be pulling the COD up to the cat to launch, he is going to be helping defend and possible save a ship. All Navy members are sailors enlisted or officer! Any officer that would say he wasn't, better never step foot on a boat or he might find himself in the water.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Flash said:
Wow, a boat guy talking trash to a VP guy about his comms. Now if that is not the pot calling the kettle black..... :D
Well, let's just say that VP tends to get a little "verbose" on the radios.... :D You know, you get tired talking to the crew, or you step back to the galley to grab something to eat, and the brand new 3P is talking to the ACU while the Nav is on HF.... interesting times can develop... and the IFT going, "sir, you need to get back to the cockpit, the 3P is fvcking up on the radios...." lol

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
Well, let's just say that VP tends to get a little "verbose" on the radios.... :D You know, you get tired talking to the crew, or you step back to the galley to grab something to eat, and the brand new 3P is talking to the ACU while the Nav is on HF.... interesting times can develop... and the IFT going, "sir, you need to get back to the cockpit, the 3P is fvcking up on the radios...." lol
Talk about fvcking up the radios, one time we were doing ops w/ the French and apparently, the TACCO and PPC had failed to glean the ACU freq from the brief and we find ourselves trying to check in ONSTA with a bunch of non-English speakers, so they had me (young AO3 at the time) get on the radios to straighten the whole thing out in French. Pretty funny in retrospect.

Brett

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Hmm....P-3 guys called sailors....Not until you get some time underway buddy!!!!!!!!!

**Webmaster, Mustangs don't count....

Juuuuust kidding....please don't shoot!!!!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Cyclic said:
Hmm....P-3 guys called sailors....Not until you get some time underway buddy!!!!!!!!!

**Webmaster, Mustangs don't count....

Juuuuust kidding....please don't shoot!!!!!
LOL, that brings a retort to mind "I have more time on the sh!tter at test depth...." ... so, are you trying to say that my years onboard SSNs don't count?

I seem to recall that you didn't get too far onboard that flat top, didn't the steam give out and you had to limp back to port? :D

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
webmaster said:
I seem to recall that you didn't get too far onboard that flat top, didn't the steam give out and you had to limp back to port? :D
Damn...how'd you remember that...well it was almost 5 months...but hey, I had a full whammy on OEF! but then..a lot of shore time too, oohh port calls...

ocjams

here's a thought...

have you ever noticed that the word "Marine" is ALWAYS capitalized, while the word "sailor" may or may not sometimes be capitalized. Now dont get me wrong, cuz I'm definitely no wiz with grammar, but does this mean that the word "sailor" has come to mean less to us in the Navy, while Marines still hold tightly to their namesake. In my opinion, as a prior E, it bothers me that our namesake and title is questioned in a service which is distinguished by its TRADITION. I have always been proud (as sappy as it seems) to be a Sailor...on the other hand, though, I think they should rethink the title of "Petty" Officer.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I myself was never fond of Petty Officer, but I got over it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ocjams said:
here's a thought...

have you ever noticed that the word "Marine" is ALWAYS capitalized, while the word "sailor" may or may not sometimes be capitalized. Now dont get me wrong, cuz I'm definitely no wiz with grammar, but does this mean that the word "sailor" has come to mean less to us in the Navy, while Marines still hold tightly to their namesake. In my opinion, as a prior E, it bothers me that our namesake and title is questioned in a service which is distinguished by its TRADITION. I have always been proud (as sappy as it seems) to be a Sailor...on the other hand, though, I think they should rethink the title of "Petty" Officer.
This exact issue was discussed in another thread. Bottom line - Sailor is capitalized.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ae2wolfe said:
That COD pilot better be a sailor because if his ship come under attack they're not going to be pulling the COD up to the cat to launch, he is going to be helping defend and possible save a ship. All Navy members are sailors enlisted or officer!
Well, in this case, I won't be able to defend the COD guys/gals. AE2, not sure what you do during GQ, but all pilots onboard (except of course the guys specifically on standby....and maybe even them too) are especially trained to go straight to their stateroom and get into their rack (or watch DVD's) during GQ. A COD pilot help to save the ship....that's a funny one.

ae2wolfe said:
Any officer that would say he wasn't, better never step foot on a boat or he might find himself in the water.
Sure about that?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Well, in this case, I won't be able to defend the COD guys/gals. AE2, not sure what you do during GQ, but all pilots onboard (except of course the guys specifically on standby....and maybe even them too) are especially trained to go straight to their stateroom and get into their rack (or watch DVD's) during GQ. A COD pilot help to save the ship....that's a funny one.

Sure about that?
Yeah, I'm on Stennis for CQ det and they start doing those ridiculous GQ drills. Like any good JO, I walk the short distance from Ready 1 to the officer's mess. "What do you mean I can't have any dog during GQ? You mean to tell me that there's a perfectly good dog machine right over there, but I can't have any because you guys are running drills? The humanity!" I elected to take a nap in lieu of dog.

Good times,

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.