• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are Naval Officers Sailors, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
First of all, I would call a COD pilot many things before "Sailor" came to mind... :D

Seriously though, I personally take pride in our long Naval history, and heritage. And most definitely consider myself a Sailor and a Mustang (8 years prior). It is WHO we are damnit. NOT GEN X/Y/Z, getting your Montgomery GI Bill and working towards college, here for the benefits, "job security", or "step into the fast lane and see the world". We are all Sailors, from field day and paint chipping party member, manning the rails, standing topside watch, OOD, EOOW, plane captains, SP, skippers and up to the CNO. Read some history, the Navy and the Marines have held the sea lanes open for our country to grow and prosper since old Iron Sides herself showed what American Ingenuity could do (that and some really damn hard oak...)..... rambling incoherent thoughts from a deskbound aviator and SAILOR!

Also, Marines as usual with history and tradition, have the right idea, thankfully our sister service is good for some things!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
First of all, I would call a COD pilot many things before "Sailor" came to mind... :D
Whoa there buddy. COD pilots are good people, every last one of em. After awhile of being underway, the only thing you give a damn about is what time the COD is gonna be onboard. COD = mail call. P-3's = pain in my ass when standing watch in combat. Trying to make the comms happen with you guys is like....well, as I said before....a pain in my ass.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Wow.

...unwittingly sparked the debate into a controversy. The issue has gotten particular attention on a Web site, sailorbob.com, frequented by current and former surface warfare officers.
“I do agree … that officers are not sailors,” wrote one officer...

Those who said the article was sensationalist were right. Not just sensationalist, but forged-Bush-reporting-document style BAD journalism! That reporter went to sailorbob.com for Chrissake! That's like coming here on airwarriors and quoting a few phrases from OUR often heated and sometimes largely speculative threads. How is he sure some of those guys are even officers? Send him back to journalism school, he discredits the already not-to-be-taken-as-gospel NavyTimes. What a bunch of horsesh*t.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I saw the article in the Marine Times, and it did strike me as odd that it used a web discussion group as a source of information. Kind of like asking Paris Hilton about international currency markets.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
That guy went to sailorbob? As a former SWO who sometimes goes there I can tell you the thing those guys hate most is the enlisted. Seriously, they cry about just about everything that's good for the enlisted, and the more senior enlisted, the louder they howl.

All that being said, do you think "sailor" will take on the same connotation as "shipmate?" Frankly, it would raise an eyebrow of curiosity if someone called me "sailor"...you know, don't ask, don't tell kind of curiosity.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I'm kinda mad SailorBob.com doesn't let you even read the forum without joining. I am tempted to just lie and register while claiming to be a SWO. I just want to read posts. And I might be a SWO someday...

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Road Program said:
That guy went to sailorbob? As a former SWO who sometimes goes there I can tell you the thing those guys hate most is the enlisted. Seriously, they cry about just about everything that's good for the enlisted, and the more senior enlisted, the louder they howl.
Dude, what are you talking about?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
I would like to see this. Would you recommend I just make up an account so I can read the posts?

Is there any way in hell they can verify that you are not a SWO? It's an internet discussion form, not a security clearance, lie.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes...in the Navy = Sailor to me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Whoa there buddy. COD pilots are good people, every last one of em. After awhile of being underway, the only thing you give a damn about is what time the COD is gonna be onboard. COD = mail call. P-3's = pain in my ass when standing watch in combat. Trying to make the comms happen with you guys is like....well, as I said before....a pain in my ass.

Wow, a boat guy talking trash to a VP guy about his comms. Now if that is not the pot calling the kettle black..... :D

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
I would like to see this. Would you recommend I just make up an account so I can read the posts?
No, actually I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Fly Navy said:
Is there any way in hell they can verify that you are not a SWO? It's an internet discussion form, not a security clearance, lie.
It's not too difficult. And I wouldn't recommend lieing in order to gain access to SailorBob, either. Geez, what is so hard to understand? There are rules that you have to play by no matter what forum it is. Whether its over there or here. I imagine that if you're willing to break the rules there, then you have no qualms about breaking our rules here.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
It's not too difficult. And I wouldn't recommend lieing in order to gain access to SailorBob, either. Geez, what is so hard to understand? There are rules that you have to play by no matter what forum it is. Whether its over there or here. I imagine that if you're willing to break the rules there, then you have no qualms about breaking our rules here.

I didn't say for him to post. If he wants to read it, make a ghost account and lurk. Not that hard, no one even knows you exist. If you want to post pretending to be a SWO, well that's not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.