• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are military operations in the Middle East ramping back up?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Okay... with those two other charges (that you omitted from your first post), now I doubt you'd get into the military (officer or enlisted) or the DoD civilian workforce.

Also, if you're 27 now, that means you were charged in '09 as a 21 year old - that is not really a "youthful" act to me. There are dozens of adult, responsible Marines who fought, led other Marines, and died in Iraq/Afghanistan before they reached age 21.

I am not in the military, so my opinion is just one man's opinion.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
In my last correspondence with my OSO, I practically pleaded for a shot at applying for an aviation contract and his responses were:

"I appreciate your interest however you have too many issues for me to waste your time in attempting to make you a Marine officer.
Keep your chin up, aim high and I hope you find the right career path for you."

I think he's telling you to contact your local USAF recruiter :)

exNavyOffRec

I was charged in 2009, charges were dropped in 2010, and the statute of limitation expired in 2013. I have actually previously started another thread about this:
https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...y-charges-keep-you-out-of-marine-corps.42533/

In tandem with this felony charge, I have 2 misdemeanor charges as well:

1. Unlawful use of identification
2. Assault

Both of these were dropped after completing community service. The nature of these offenses makes them "minor misdemeanors" and they fall under the "Non-Traffic Offenses" category. Enlisted applicants are allowed up to 4 "Non-Traffic Offenses" without needing a waiver, but I am not sure what the standard is for Officer applicants. I am getting all my information from the following site:
https://www.navycs.com/blogs/2010/05/23/moral-waivers-for-enlistment

In my last correspondence with my OSO, I practically pleaded for a shot at applying for an aviation contract and his responses were:

"I appreciate your interest however you have too many issues for me to waste your time in attempting to make you a Marine officer.

And also later, after me pleading some more:

"The combination of all your hits form a pattern of misconduct."

NavyOffRec, I appreciate you putting thought into this, sir. I'm not sure if I have any other recourse though. The OSO does not seem to feel I am worth the effort of even being processed to apply and I'm sure to some extent his hands are tied due to the strict entrance requirements as a result of the draw-down. I am planning on making another effort at the end of this month or early January to see if he will budge at all. Before I do, do you have any recommendation for something I can either do or say to convince him to give me a shot at applying? If you had an applicant like me, what is something that that applicant could do to make you think they are worthy of consideration to serve in the Marine Corps? Despite my shit-head behavior in my youth, I have straightened myself out, matured into a responsible adult, and would give the Marine Corps 110% dedication to being the best officer and aviator I can be.

This gives a better picture, I feel the 2 other items you listed are what really did you in, since they were dropped after conditions they are considered as convictions, the other if by itself might have been overcome, but what it comes down to is with officer programs there are so many applicants those with issues in their background can easily be pushed aside.

FYI assault has 3 levels, so probably all legal documents would be needed to determine the level, if you want to serve probably your only path is to go enlisted.

PMPT

+1

the USMC OSO's I knew had many people lined up, they had no reason to even look at people that needed waivers or weren't getting 290+ PFT, it worked out well for me as some of those whose PFT's weren't top were sent to me.

The OP is probably SOL

Just out of interest, where do you recruit? Very few of the people (including selectees for OCC/PLC) in my pool are hitting those numbers and are, to be diplomatic, not exactly prodigious intellects.

exNavyOffRec

Just out of interest, where do you recruit? Very few of the people (including selectees for OCC/PLC) in my pool are hitting those numbers and are, to be diplomatic, not exactly prodigious intellects.

I am on the best coast, but where is not really relevant, I have know several USMC recruiters, both enlisted and officer, while all I have seen look like what you would expect some take it to another level, the OSO that sticks out to me the most was such a motivating person he had people lined up, he was sending those that weren't going to get the highest recommendation to us to try for USN SNA, the two that I worked with both were in great physical shape, one had 290 the other I don't recall, but this OSO had no issue finding people that were getting those 290's.

His replacement was not as good.

ryan1234

Okay... with those two other charges (that you omitted from your first post), now I doubt you'd get into the military (officer or enlisted) or the DoD civilian workforce.

Also, if you're 27 now, that means you were charged in '09 as a 21 year old - that is not really a "youthful" act to me. There are dozens of adult, responsible Marines who fought, led other Marines, and died in Iraq/Afghanistan before they reached age 21.

I am not in the military, so my opinion is just one man's opinion.

There's more than a few people in the military who have strange pasts with law enforcement who go on to do some pretty amazing things which sometimes includes sacrificing their lives. There's also a few who had a completely clean record and go onto make a series of bad decisions resulting in pretty severe UCMJ action.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I was charged in 2009, charges were dropped in 2010, and the statute of limitation expired in 2013. I have actually previously started another thread about this:
https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...y-charges-keep-you-out-of-marine-corps.42533/

In tandem with this felony charge, I have 2 misdemeanor charges as well:

1. Unlawful use of identification
2. Assault

Both of these were dropped after completing community service. The nature of these offenses makes them "minor misdemeanors" and they fall under the "Non-Traffic Offenses" category. Enlisted applicants are allowed up to 4 "Non-Traffic Offenses" without needing a waiver, but I am not sure what the standard is for Officer applicants. I am getting all my information from the following site:
https://www.navycs.com/blogs/2010/05/23/moral-waivers-for-enlistment

And also later, after me pleading some more:

"The combination of all your hits form a pattern of misconduct."

NavyOffRec, I appreciate you putting thought into this, sir. I'm not sure if I have any other recourse though. The OSO does not seem to feel I am worth the effort of even being processed to apply and I'm sure to some extent his hands are tied due to the strict entrance requirements as a result of the draw-down. I am planning on making another effort at the end of this month or early January to see if he will budge at all. Before I do, do you have any recommendation for something I can either do or say to convince him to give me a shot at applying? If you had an applicant like me, what is something that that applicant could do to make you think they are worthy of consideration to serve in the Marine Corps? Despite my shit-head behavior in my youth, I have straightened myself out, matured into a responsible adult, and would give the Marine Corps 110% dedication to being the best officer and aviator I can be.

Felony destruction of property, assault and fraud bro. To an OSO you look like a courts martial waiting to happen regardless of the disposition of the previous cases.

He basically told you that you're dead to him.

Start seeing if Army WOFT would take you. Realistically the USMC is not going to be desperate enough for people that they feel like they want to take you as an officer anytime soon.

AirDrop

There's more than a few people in the military who have strange pasts with law enforcement who go on to do some pretty amazing things which sometimes includes sacrificing their lives. There's also a few who had a completely clean record and go onto make a series of bad decisions resulting in pretty severe UCMJ action.

If I was the gatekeeper to military pilot training, I would also preferentially select those without histories of misconduct over those with histories such as mine...past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior and that is a completely sound argument. However, as long as you're somewhat smart, screwing up I believe is self-correcting behavior. I feel like I have "gone down that road" and have been subsequently burned. I know what happens when you break rules and do stupid things and I know it's not worth it. More importantly, I know why the rules exist in the first place and I have learned to respect them. Perhaps even more importantly than that, I also know the value of being a good and honest person and how the effects and rewards of that are far better than any short-term gains of being a scumbag (not that I ever was as scumbag, more like an immature and reckless dumbass). It is now an uphill battle for me to get into military pilot training and if I got in it would be all the sweeter of a victory. I would truly savor it and thank god and the USA for the opportunity afforded to me when I may not have deserved it. As I have said before I understand and accept it if I don't get in but on a case by case basis I'm one who has turned it around and I'm certain I would end up being a valuable asset to our military. If the powers that be decide to keep me out, then I fully respect their decision and will swallow that bitter pill and move on with my life.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I know. I'm not saying he wouldn't do a great job. I am just saying that the military is more selective than people assume. With the drawdowns, I imagine it's tough for him to become an officer or a DoD civilian.