• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are military operations in the Middle East ramping back up?

AirDrop

Several months ago my OSO told me I am not eligible for Marine OCS due to a felony charge on my record, but that if there was suddenly a pilot shortage then the Marine Corps would get lenient and allow people with felony charges eligibility.

I am reading more and more articles about the Middle East and ISIS and how it is looking like a ground war is unavoidable if we want to bring them down. On top of this, I heard from a US Marshal (whose son is in the Air Force) that several bases are being constructed or refurbished in the Middle East by private contractors in preparation for a big increase in military operations there again.

So I just want to ask if anyone can say whether or not this is the case. I hope i'm not posing too revealing of a question so please by all means delete the thread if I am.

Although I made some piss poor decisions as a kid, my heart is absolutely set on become a Marine Corps aviator. Other than bothering my OSO every few months, how can I know when or if the entrance requirements for OCS and air contracts get relaxed?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can of worms...

I don't know what the Corps' aviation recruitment or manning situation is, but they're in the midst of a downsizing in terms of overall force structure. Current administration's policy is "no U.S. boots on the ground," even though there has been an incremental shift in just how a boot is defined. If the Republican party continues on its present trajectory, we're going to have another Democratic administration that will, more or less, continue the current policy. If that plays out accordingly, I see the likelihood of large scale combat operations in Iraq/Syria to be unlikely.

How any of this impacts your chances of getting accepted with a felony on your record are unknowable. What was the crime you were charged with and were you convicted?

AirDrop

I was charged with felony destruction of property. No, I was not convicted but the Marine Corps doesn't distinguish between a charge and a conviction.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Several months ago my OSO told me I am not eligible for Marine OCS due to a felony charge on my record, but that if there was suddenly a pilot shortage then the Marine Corps would get lenient and allow people with felony charges eligibility.

I am reading more and more articles about the Middle East and ISIS and how it is looking like a ground war is unavoidable if we want to bring them down. On top of this, I heard from a US Marshal (whose son is in the Air Force) that several bases are being constructed or refurbished in the Middle East by private contractors in preparation for a big increase in military operations there again.

So I just want to ask if anyone can say whether or not this is the case. I hope i'm not posing too revealing of a question so please by all means delete the thread if I am.

Although I made some piss poor decisions as a kid, my heart is absolutely set on become a Marine Corps aviator. Other than bothering my OSO every few months, how can I know when or if the entrance requirements for OCS and air contracts get relaxed?

The Marines are contributing to OIR just like every service right now, in the event of a large scale contingency operation occurring the Corps will get more involved. It will probably not relax "standards" in any way shape or form, as I know exactly 0 Marine aviators with a felony record of any sort. The operation will probably be short lived and not effect recruiting. It took the Corps 5 years after OIF to realize we needed more Marines, and 2-3 more to implement a substantial increase in end strength. During that period felonies were still not waiverable for Marine officers, enlisted personnel might be the outlier. Misdemeanors are waiverable and happen frequently but are still a negative on an applicant's record, and with the drawdown in end strength, standards are only increasing. I would start finding another career or way to serve.

exNavyOffRec

The Marines are contributing to OIR just like every service right now, in the event of a large scale contingency operation occurring the Corps will get more involved. It will probably not relax "standards" in any way shape or form, as I know exactly 0 Marine aviators with a felony record of any sort. The operation will probably be short lived and not effect recruiting. It took the Corps 5 years after OIF to realize we needed more Marines, and 2-3 more to implement a substantial increase in end strength. During that period felonies were still not waiverable for Marine officers, enlisted personnel might be the outlier. Misdemeanors are waiverable and happen frequently but are still a negative on an applicant's record, and with the drawdown in end strength, standards are only increasing. I would start finding another career or way to serve.

+1

the USMC OSO's I knew had many people lined up, they had no reason to even look at people that needed waivers or weren't getting 290+ PFT, it worked out well for me as some of those whose PFT's weren't top were sent to me.

The OP is probably SOL

azguy

None
I was charged with felony destruction of property. No, I was not convicted but the Marine Corps doesn't distinguish between a charge and a conviction.

I find that incredibly hard to believe. You say that you weren't convicted...

Straight up question: Did you...
a) have ALL/EVERY charges(s) found not guilty?
...OR...
b) Other. (plea deal, charge suspended, "decline to prosecute", etc)...

There's a big difference between being "NOT CONVICTED" and still having done the wrong thing. Absolutely the military will distinguish, as you're still "guilty," even if you haven't had charges leveled against you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We all know the military will look askance at any arrest, whether or not someone is ultimately convicted. No need to put the guy through the wringer. It's a moot point.

AirDrop

I find that incredibly hard to believe. You say that you weren't convicted...

Straight up question: Did you...
a) have ALL/EVERY charges(s) found not guilty?
...OR...
b) Other. (plea deal, charge suspended, "decline to prosecute", etc)...

There's a big difference between being "NOT CONVICTED" and still having done the wrong thing. Absolutely the military will distinguish, as you're still "guilty," even if you haven't had charges leveled against you.

There was no plea deal. The charges were dismissed "Nolle Prosequi" due to a lack of evidence. When/If I am ever asked about the circumstances of this arrest by either my OSO or a selection board, then I will be completely forthcoming...but it doesn't look like it will get to that point. What my OSO told me and what I was able to independently verify was that the Marine Corps does not distinguish between felony charges vs convictions. It does not make sense to me but I don't get the write the rules.
Best thing to do is to stay out of trouble in the first place. Any younger guys aspiring to be military aviators (in high school or middle school) who read this thread, please heed my advice: do good in school, get involved with extra-curricular activities, play sports, and stay the hell away from troublemakers.

AirDrop

The OP is probably SOL

If the timeline would be as drawn out as Hotdogs say it would, then I am for sure SOL since I am already 27...was just seeing if there was any talk of things picking up in early-mid 2016 but doesn't look like it unless maybe we see a large scale domestic terrorist attack. Thanks all for fielding the original question.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The Marine Corps needs civilians, too. If you want to help the Marines, why not join in a civilian career field that interests you?

Federal civilians are an integral piece of the "total force." As a civilian, you are eligible for the Civilian Expeditionary Workforce program where you receive weapons training and deploy abroad in a warzone. You are also eligible for free graduate schools like Air Command & Staff College, Naval War College, or National Intelligence University. At higher levels, you can even be a Branch Chief (or higher) and be the direct supervisor of officer and enlisted Marines.

As a civilian applicant, you have a lot more built-in protections/ leeway during the hiring process in instances where you were charged but not convicted of a crime.

I have known many a DoD civilian who made a huge impact on the troops they led. Keep in mind, though, that DoD civilian jobs are also very competitive and scarce.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

The Marine Corps needs civilians, too. If you want to help the Marines, why not join in a civilian career field that interests you?

Federal civilians are an integral piece of the "total force." As a civilian, you are eligible for the Civilian Expeditionary Workforce program where you receive weapons training and deploy abroad in a warzone. You are also eligible for free graduate schools like Air Command & Staff College, Naval War College, or National Intelligence University. At higher levels, you can even be a Branch Chief (or higher) and be the direct supervisor of officer and enlisted Marines.

As a civilian applicant, you have a lot more built-in protections/ leeway during the hiring process in instances where you were charged but not convicted of a crime.

I have known many a DoD civilian who made a huge impact on the troops they led.

Given he needs a clearance he may end up with the same issue.

exNavyOffRec

There was no plea deal. The charges were dismissed "Nolle Prosequi" due to a lack of evidence. When/If I am ever asked about the circumstances of this arrest by either my OSO or a selection board, then I will be completely forthcoming...but it doesn't look like it will get to that point. What my OSO told me and what I was able to independently verify was that the Marine Corps does not distinguish between felony charges vs convictions. It does not make sense to me but I don't get the write the rules.
Best thing to do is to stay out of trouble in the first place. Any younger guys aspiring to be military aviators (in high school or middle school) who read this thread, please heed my advice: do good in school, get involved with extra-curricular activities, play sports, and stay the hell away from troublemakers.

I have an idea on why they won't let you apply, how many years ago did this happen? The thing about Nolle Prosequi is that from what I can see double jeopardy doesn't apply but they can at anytime re-file, which means you could be considered undergoing civil action.

I say the above because I had a person I was working with in my current job to get the OK for him to get FINRA licenses, he was arrested and charged, but then the prosecutor did the Nolle Prosequi move, the word we rec'd back from the feds is the case is still hanging out there, the guy hired a lawyer to try and get a letter from the prosecutor saying he would not be prosecuted but they won't do that, basically what came out of it was until the statute of limitations runs out he could at anytime be prosecuted.

AirDrop

I have an idea on why they won't let you apply, how many years ago did this happen? The thing about Nolle Prosequi is that from what I can see double jeopardy doesn't apply but they can at anytime re-file, which means you could be considered undergoing civil action.

I say the above because I had a person I was working with in my current job to get the OK for him to get FINRA licenses, he was arrested and charged, but then the prosecutor did the Nolle Prosequi move, the word we rec'd back from the feds is the case is still hanging out there, the guy hired a lawyer to try and get a letter from the prosecutor saying he would not be prosecuted but they won't do that, basically what came out of it was until the statute of limitations runs out he could at anytime be prosecuted.

I was charged in 2009, charges were dropped in 2010, and the statute of limitation expired in 2013. I have actually previously started another thread about this:
https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...y-charges-keep-you-out-of-marine-corps.42533/

In tandem with this felony charge, I have 2 misdemeanor charges as well:

1. Unlawful use of identification
2. Assault

Both of these were dropped after completing community service. The nature of these offenses makes them "minor misdemeanors" and they fall under the "Non-Traffic Offenses" category. Enlisted applicants are allowed up to 4 "Non-Traffic Offenses" without needing a waiver, but I am not sure what the standard is for Officer applicants. I am getting all my information from the following site:
https://www.navycs.com/blogs/2010/05/23/moral-waivers-for-enlistment

In my last correspondence with my OSO, I practically pleaded for a shot at applying for an aviation contract and his responses were:

"I appreciate your interest however you have too many issues for me to waste your time in attempting to make you a Marine officer.
Keep your chin up, aim high and I hope you find the right career path for you."

And also later, after me pleading some more:

"The combination of all your hits form a pattern of misconduct."

NavyOffRec, I appreciate you putting thought into this, sir. I'm not sure if I have any other recourse though. The OSO does not seem to feel I am worth the effort of even being processed to apply and I'm sure to some extent his hands are tied due to the strict entrance requirements as a result of the draw-down. I am planning on making another effort at the end of this month or early January to see if he will budge at all. Before I do, do you have any recommendation for something I can either do or say to convince him to give me a shot at applying? If you had an applicant like me, what is something that that applicant could do to make you think they are worthy of consideration to serve in the Marine Corps? Despite my shit-head behavior in my youth, I have straightened myself out, matured into a responsible adult, and would give the Marine Corps 110% dedication to being the best officer and aviator I can be.

Last edited:

AirDrop

I have known many a DoD civilian who made a huge impact on the troops they led. Keep in mind, though, that DoD civilian jobs are also very competitive and scarce.

Very interesting. I will certainly look into this.