• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are individual awards getting watered down (ie a NAM for a Det)?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
The watering down of the NAM, and other awards, grates on my nerves too. However, one possible advantage to this is a CO can use NOT giving a NAM to someone at the end of a tour to send a message. I saw this happen to two JOs in my squadron. Neither of them deserved an award, but it was standard practice that JO leaving gets a NAM. Thus, when they didn't get one it sent a very loud and clear message. Will it affect them in the long run? From what I understand it will as the lack of those watered down awards sends a message to promotion boards.

Maybe that's not how it should work, but the system still does allow for some discrimination between candidates on a board. That's assuming a CO has the guts to shoot someone like that.

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
+1
While I was stationed overseas it was considered standard practice to get an "end of tour NAM" on your way out the door. Didn't really have to do anything special. Just live overseas on a ship and show up to work every day. If you could do that for 3 years without getting in trouble, Bam! NAM in the works. I felt like it was complete BS. That's your job. Be there, work hard, stay out of trouble. These are basic requirements of civilized life. It's not necessarily Military standards. Anywhere you work Civi or otherwise, Be at work on time and out of trouble. It's not really award worthy.

Agree that the "out the door" NAM for a standard 3-year tour is a bit shady, especially if you do what's expected and nothing more.. everyday duties, fly straight, etc. If you take on a special project, however, it's one extra incentive for the squadron to justify giving you the pat on the back and the NAM to go with it. Agree that it is widely proliferated, but do something that the squadron can point at to justify the award.. not just give the award because all the other cool kids have it.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... (most?) feel like they need to give all of those out, plus the standard "end-of-tour/end-of-career" awards. I suspect that COs feel, at least on a sub-conscious level, that the more medals they give out the better they look.

Oh damn, and all this time I thought I was somebody, and now I find out I was just some body. (lol):icon_tong

FLY_USMC

pilot
I haven't read one post in this thread vice the title, but NAM's became easy to get when everybody and their mother started getting Bronze Stars just for doing their job....behind a desk.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
All I know is the 5 sailors I have been working with for the last month and the 3 fresh replacements all argue over who is going to get the NAM. Well I've trained or educated each and every one of them as to their jobs and don't think that any are deserving; it would certainly help if I didn't have to explain to the 2nd class CDI what and where to inspect.
I did my 4 years active duty, volunteered for each and every Det and deployment to ship and still didn't expect anything in return except my pay check twice monthly. It seems that today’s sailor expects credit for their normal duty, whatever happened to working for what you want?
I shall now take a page from A4's and weep for today’s Navy.

(Rant over, since I didn't even really start this thread.)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
We could, uh, give out awards for ordinary things like starting threads or threadjacking existing ones... :)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Oh yes you did...perils of threadjack (just ask Otto), it just might get split. Look at original post and thread and how "yours" has blossomed!
Ok, you have me one this one.

We could, uh, give out awards for ordinary things like starting threads or threadjacking existing ones... :)

I really don't give a rats butt about awards; I'm here and at work to perform a job. I do whatever it takes to accomplish the task at hand. :icon_wink

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Here's the thing--once "everyone" gives out EOT awards as standard, then the one CO who holds the line is suddenly the jerk who's screwing his people.

People think the medals are such a big deal for promotion. Actually, though, there a saying for officer promotions at least in the Marines. The three things that DON'T matter: "medals, masters', and muscles."

stickygdm

pilot
As someone noted above, it is related to the "X number of NAMs per personnel in the unit", and the fact that COs (most?) feel like they need to give all of those out, plus the standard "end-of-tour/end-of-career" awards. I suspect that COs feel, at least on a sub-conscious level, that the more medals they give out the better they look.

I have a sub-conscious...perhaps.

Military units have missions. It is up to the members of those units to achieve the the missions prescribed by higher authority. The CO is the member designated to ensure the mission is accomplished and is held accountable if it is or not. One of the best parts of being a CO is recognizing individuals when they dedicate themselves to the mission of the unit. Sometimes, extraordinary acts are taken, sometimes normal acts are. In the end, the CO decides if an individual is worthy of recognition. Is it an even process? no, we're talking about a CO doing his or her best to identify when the job is done right or done well under tough circumstances.

It ain't a science, and I believe that most COs strive to ensure the SQUADRON, SHIP, or UNIT is doing well not ensuring his/her own resume improves.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Here's the thing--once "everyone" gives out EOT awards as standard, then the one CO who holds the line is suddenly the jerk who's screwing his people.

People think the medals are such a big deal for promotion. Actually, though, there a saying for officer promotions at least in the Marines. The three things that DON'T matter: "medals, masters', and muscles."

Whew, good thing too because I am weak, uneducated, and entirely too incompetent to ever be awarded. I do have a MUC though, that counts for something right?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It happens...although almost every CO gets an obligatory EOT MSM and if there was combat, likely a mid tour Bronze Star, but some don't pass down the acknowledgement by way of medals/awards even though their award is indeirectly related to performanc eof the many individuals in the unit.

That's one for the hard sayings log!