• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

Joey H

I'm still waiting on my depth perception to clear. Everything was PQ except that, so just waiting for N3M to tell MEPS to PQ me (passed civilian doctor test)
Hey man did you get accepted as pilot?! I failed the depth perception test and asked if I could check with a civilian Dr. And was told it wouldnt make a difference.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
Hey man did you get accepted as pilot?! I failed the depth perception test and asked if I could check with a civilian Dr. And was told it wouldnt make a difference.
Joey, that is garbage. I just had one of my pilot applicants only get to B on the depth perception chart at MEPS. He, on his own dime, went the next day to his eye doc who did a full workup including depth perception and he was perfect. We sent that with his meds to N3M and got approval within the hour. He is now ORDPRO and waiting for the board to convene in February. Unless you are PDQ (permanently disqualified) at MEPS, you can always appeal and fight it..and you should. Don't give up!

One caveat: always remember that you will have your flight physical at OCS so even if selected for pilot or NFO, you have to pass that, too. Best of luck!

Joey H

I'm still waiting on my depth perception to clear. Everything was PQ except that, so just waiting for N3M to tell MEPS to PQ me (passed civilian doctor test)
Thank you for the fast reply. That would have been great to know. My OR told me it wouldn't make any difference if I passed civilian test but couldn't pass navy test. He also told me if you passed civilian test you would probably fail navy test again at OCS. I am waiting for February board with NFO as my first choice. Thank you!

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
That is true...but how do you know if you don't try? My philosophy is that you push forward towards your dreams until you can push no further and the door is locked shut. Good luck on NFO! A great career path!

Joey H

Joey, that is garbage. I just had one of my pilot applicants only get to B on the depth perception chart at MEPS. He, on his own dime, went the next day to his eye doc who did a full workup including depth perception and he was perfect. We sent that with his meds to N3M and got approval within the hour. He is now ORDPRO and waiting for the board to convene in February. Unless you are PDQ (permanently disqualified) at MEPS, you can always appeal and fight it..and you should. Don't give up!

One caveat: always remember that you will have your flight physical at OCS so even if selected for pilot or NFO, you have to pass that, too. Best of luck!
If you go to OCS as a NFO and pass the depth perception test there could you push for pilot from there?

exNavyOffRec

I never told an applicant they couldn't go out in town, now of the the ones that didn't and passed the depth perception out in town I don't think any made it past the OCS physical, but I know there are ones on this board that did.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
If you go to OCS as a NFO and pass the depth perception test there could you push for pilot from there?
OCS is a whole nother beast. you are dead tired and a little dehydrated. Suck down the water like it's your job, which it is, and get good sleep. Believe it or not DP is not the real killer at OCS, it's all the other crazy eye tests that got people and believe it or not anthro's. If they slot you NFO for whatever reason at OCS for NPQ remember there is still a chance once you get to PCola to apply for re-designation if you are within standards there. Take it as it comes and fight what you can, biggest thing is don't stress because you tend to lose sight of the other important details...best of luck and don't sign on the dotted line without asking as many questions as you can along the way.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I only got a Pass B on the AFVT at MEPS, where at least a Pass D is required. Went to a civilian eye doc, got the test with the 3D glasses and the booklet, and passed it 9/9. Also got my eyes dilated while I was at it. Had him write a letter saying something like "Depth perception tested, up to 40 arc-seconds or (whatever it is), no defects noted." Gave the letter to my recruiter, and that was that. I don't recall doing depth perception at OCS, but when I did my physical here in Corpus last month, they gave me the option between the AFVT and the book, so hopefully they get the book at NHCNE, because I know the AFVT gives a lot of people trouble.

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
When I went to MEPS they forgot to give me a depth perception test all together so I was forced out to a civilian optometrist for results. My optometrist wrote a letter with comments very similar to the example Tycho provided and everything worked out fine. I was cleared by N3M the day I gave my recruiter the letter. When I went through NHCNE at OCS they were only using the Randot book test (thankfully).

Joey H

OCS is a whole nother beast. you are dead tired and a little dehydrated. Suck down the water like it's your job, which it is, and get good sleep. Believe it or not DP is not the real killer at OCS, it's all the other crazy eye tests that got people and believe it or not anthro's. If they slot you NFO for whatever reason at OCS for NPQ remember there is still a chance once you get to PCola to apply for re-designation if you are within standards there. Take it as it comes and fight what you can, biggest thing is don't stress because you tend to lose sight of the other important details...best of luck and don't sign on the dotted line without asking as many questions as you can along the way.
Thank you for the reply. So when I am at OCS I can apply to be transferred to pilot position? Do a lot of people do that, and how often do they get accepted to change?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the reply. So when I am at OCS I can apply to be transferred to pilot position? Do a lot of people do that, and how often do they get accepted to change?

He is saying if you go in for SNA, but get moved to NFO due to vision at OCS sometimes people can get back to SNA at pensacola, if you go to OCS as an NFO don't expect to be anything but an NFO or you are probably going to be disappointed.

Joey H

He is saying if you go in for SNA, but get moved to NFO due to vision at OCS sometimes people can get back to SNA at pensacola, if you go to OCS as an NFO don't expect to be anything but an NFO or you are probably going to be disappointed.
Alright that is what I am looking for! Thank you and I will put all I got into being the best NFO I can! god bless!