• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2010 Boards

navygraig

LT Withrow
I thought you didnt go to MEPS till after prorec? thats what my recruiter said??

According to my OR you don't have to go to MEPS before Pro-Rec but it just helps because obtaining the medical qual can take a long time. Just because you get qualified at MEPS doesnt mean the Navy will clear you to be an officer. It can take months to get medically cleared.

znibbor

That's also true the other way, right...I think. Meaning, MEPS can DQ you and the Navy may still clear you. I think...

navygraig

LT Withrow
That's also true the other way, right...I think. Meaning, MEPS can DQ you and the Navy may still clear you. I think...

That's also true, so I've heard. MEPS is run by the Army. I would say though that if MEPS disqualifies you that it is probably going to be pretty difficult to get the Navy to qualify you. Getting medically qualified as an officer is more difficult than enlisted, at least in standards.

Joeski

Having a full MEPS PQ (No required waivers, no health problems at all and 20/20) before submitting should strengthen your package shouldn't it? I realize you're either PQ or NPQ, but having that MEPS PQ as part of your package should be beneficial. Hopefully my OR mentions my underwear olympics gold medal, I didn't practice the duck walk for nothin'!

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
My OR explained that it was an unnecessary expense if you are not pro-rec'ed. It's in the interest of saving money for the Navy. I don't think precedence rests with a MEPS PQ.

I would say though that if MEPS disqualifies you that it is probably going to be pretty difficult to get the Navy to qualify you.

For a more in depth discussion concerning the wonderful of MEPSes, checkout armyocs. They have a bit more active board and therefore more concerns. You may also check out AR 40-501. It's service wide.

znibbor

That's also true, so I've heard. MEPS is run by the Army. I would say though that if MEPS disqualifies you that it is probably going to be pretty difficult to get the Navy to qualify you. Getting medically qualified as an officer is more difficult than enlisted, at least in standards.

I had a completely successful physical with MEPS other than needing additional information for ADHD I was treated for in high school. So, I think I'll be DQ'd by MEPS for that, but I may be able to get a waiver from the Navy, I hope.

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
Hey jtdees,
You are the first person that I have heard from the March board that is in the same situation I am with being tabled for SWO. Very weird huh? Kind of like a darn I didnt get pro-rec'd but whew I didn't get non-select. Hopefully it means they want to hire us in April! I have my fingers crossed for both of us! I really want to be a Naval officer! Seems like April is going to be an extremely light board after the massive number of apps in March... Good luck with MEPS - it's... an experience alright.

Yeah, it sounded like only 5 got tabled. Not sure if that means "out of all applicants in the country," but it seemed that way. I was just in a hurry to get my stuff in the same month, when I may have been better served "playing" the boards, like some seem to have done. Fortunately, the SWO community decided to do it for us! Now I'm going to schedule MEPS, etc., not too concerned about that.

I've been reading about how hellish the first two years are for SWO's, but honestly, as I put in my motivational, I've been trying "easy" for a while now. It's time to try "difficult." "Easy" seems to stall out after a while, and I'd like to actually get somewhere in life. That and the shorter required commitment (just kidding!).

BuckWild

Advanced - VT-35
Applying for SNA & SNFO
Stats:
AT2
27 years old
BS in Technical Mangament
Devry University
3.5 GPA
OAR 50, 5/6/5
Evals (newest 1st): EP EP MP
Awards: 2 NAM’s, 2GC’s, 3-time Junior Sailor of the Quarter, Junior Sailor of the Year
PRT (newest 1st): O-M, O-M, O-L
Interviews: O-7, O-6, O-5, O-4
CO's endorsement is really solid
LOR: O-7, O-4 (ex-OIC), Congressman, Family friend
Extracurricular: President Cultural Awareness Committe, Sea Cadets, Adopt-a-schol & highway, CFL, CTT, CAT, Sea Cadets, Lots of other volunteer

Quals: CDI, QAR, Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, PADI Open Water Diver (doubt this counts for anything ;) )

All I can think as of right now. Good luck to everyone this month!

nate_j52

What? I wanted to go to MEP's but from what i was told your not allowed to go to MEP's until after you are Pro-rec'd?? My recruiter tried to send me before and he said they told him no

navygraig

LT Withrow
Yeah, it sounded like only 5 got tabled. Not sure if that means "out of all applicants in the country," but it seemed that way. I was just in a hurry to get my stuff in the same month, when I may have been better served "playing" the boards, like some seem to have done. Fortunately, the SWO community decided to do it for us! Now I'm going to schedule MEPS, etc., not too concerned about that.

I've been reading about how hellish the first two years are for SWO's, but honestly, as I put in my motivational, I've been trying "easy" for a while now. It's time to try "difficult." "Easy" seems to stall out after a while, and I'd like to actually get somewhere in life. That and the shorter required commitment (just kidding!).

My OR told me there were 10 apps tabled. I don't know if it was SWO or all communities. I just really hope they Pro-Rec us this month! I've read about the SWO training, but it isnt 2 years, its 4. Just the first two are the most difficult working for your SWO pin. I mentioned in my motivational statement as well about looking forward to the challenge, and I really mean it. Though I can't say I've been doing easy, my job for the last 5 years has been very difficult. But, I am really looking forward to Navy life!

A

AlexSmart

As far as I know, all recruiting commands have the authority to override a MEPS DQ. For the Navy, the CNRC is located in Tennessee. I am currently going through it right now. Royal Pain in the Ass, but thems the breaks...

znibbor

As far as I know, all recruiting commands have the authority to override a MEPS DQ. For the Navy, the CNRC is located in Tennessee. I am currently going through it right now. Royal Pain in the Ass, but thems the breaks...

What's your disqualifying condition?