• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2010 Boards

nate_j52

Hey every one passed over for the March boards, reapplying for April redoing my app

28/ M
SNA/NFO/Intel
55 6/7/7
3.2 General studies (poli sci concentration)
4 semesters of grad school for MBA
Prior service, Far east Sailor, out ouf 3 years and something at my command i have half that at sea, in a foward deployed frontline Electronic attack squadron, AD2 1999-2003 EA-6B powerplants and fuel systems, flight deck trouble shooter USS Kitty Hawk, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. 8 months Active reserves P-3's (reserve sucks)
almost 2 years off shore engineering position.
No bad behaviour, no medical issues, excellent vision.
LOR's from LtCdr pilot from my old squadron, Chief Scientist Naval Oceanographic center, employer, Engineer

Everyone posts there stats and compares but from what ive seen there is no rhyme or reason to why they pick who they do. i swear they must put all qualified apps in a hat and just pull out a certain amount.. anyways round two

nate_j52

My package was sent out today, so I'm hoping that I got in ahead of the deadline for April.

22/M
SNA/SNFO
ASTB: 9/9/9/64
GPA: 3.58 - Boston College, Carroll School of Management

Strong standardized test scores as well, for what they're worth (LSAT 172, SAT 2360)

ECs:
Resident Assistant
Teaching Assistant
Research Assistant
Lots of intramural sports
Volunteer teaching SAT prep courses for inner-city kids in Boston
Training for/competing in marathons (Boston-qualified)

HS Track and Cross-Country captain, 4x varsity letters
HS Hockey captain

Employment:
Software Engineering Intern, Apple Inc.
2 years of freelance writing work
Paid on-campus positions (TA, Resident assistant, Research assistant)

And the bad....

Just 3 employer LORs, no former military. It seems like everyone else is loading up on LORs, many of which are from very impressive sources, so I'm hoping that the fact that I only have the recommended 3 isn't going to hurt me. Good luck everyone, the stats posted above all look strong!

172 LSAT? If that is so, they should pick you based on that beause god knows you could get a scholarship at any law school you wanted, i got a 157 went for three weeks and decided against it, and im glad i did.

ajalali

pilot
fingers crossed

19/M non-prior
SNA
ASTB: 9/9/9/68
GPA: 3.02 - University of Illinois, Aerospace Engineering
SAT: 1430
ACT: 33

Stuff I do in college:
University of Illinois Rube Goldberg Team - Treasurer (placed 2nd in national competition in 2009)
University of Illinois Marching Illini Drumline - Snare
AIAA (Illinois Chapter)

Stuff I did in HS:
Men's Tennis - 3 years Captain 1 year
Men's Cross Country - 3 years
HS Drumline - 4yrs Captain 2yrs

Other Stuff:
Club Ultimate Frisbee - Captain 3yrs
Church Acolyte Team - 9yrs
BSA - Eagle Scout
Certified Scuba Diver

Employment:
Head Lifeguard at a local pool saving small children from drowning... not kidding i have 13 saves over 4 summers

LOR's
employer
0-6 - Navy
history teacher
church youth group leader

I was feeling ok about my package until I browsed through the lucky guys who got pro-rec'd from march. I don't think my gpa is high enough to cut it at the boards in april. Good luck to everyone else.

You'll be fine dude! Your stats are similar (better) than mine, and I got pro-rec'd in March.

Dominoes

My package was submitted the 24th for SNA and NFO

61 8/9/9

3.34 GPA

Great work history/internships. No comm service/leadership experience.

Solid motivational statement

My LORs (along with my other paperwork that was easier to replace) were lost, and they're waiting on replacements. My package was submitted for April, and the LORs will be sent to the board when my recruiter receives them.

I'm a little intimidated: It seems like most other people who post here and on Navy OCS have been captain of a sports team, did loads of extra-curricular/comm service, have a squeaky clean background and have LORs from military officers.

dcjohnsonjr1

None
Kinda of disgruntled, My package was not sent in for the March Board... SO, I guess I am up for the April board:

25/M
Active Duty Marine Air Traffic Controller (SSgt in zone for GySgt this year)
OS High on the PRT
BS Professional Aeronautics (GPA 3.69) - Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (working 60-80 hours a week while enrolled and finished degree start to finish in 15 months)
ASTB: 5/6/6 50 (Only studied the weekend before)

Tons of Leadership/Community service (Been directly in charge of 1100 Marines conus and 76 Marines in Iraq/Habitat, Meals on Wheels, Burial Detail, Uniformed Victim Advocate, Golden Retriever Rescue, Homeowner's Assocation Board of Directors)
Fitness Reports over the past two years all stating that I should be commissioned as an officer (2 Promote before peers, 4 Commendatory, all RS's 92.00 or higher)
4 LOR's from various VV/VM leaders
Motivational Statment that will make angels come down and sing in the Board's ears (I got promoted really fast in the Marine Corps due to my ability to verbalize why I am better than my peers at Marine of the Quarter/NCO of the Quarter and Promotion Boards)
Got SNA/NFO/SWO down as my top three but I will take SWO over the other two after conversations with various Instructor Pilot's and SNA/NFO students

ajalali

pilot
I'm a little intimidated: It seems like most other people who post here and on Navy OCS have been captain of a sports team, did loads of extra-curricular/comm service, have a squeaky clean background and have LORs from military officers.

i wasnt the captain of my sports team, didnt have any comm service, and my background was not squeaky clean, and I didnt have any military officer LORs. But i got pro-rec'd, and so can you!! You'll never know until you know, so grab a brew, kick back, and live it up brother. You'll be fine.

Kaminoshi

1. NFO
2. AMDO
3. NUKE

Georgia Institute of Technology
BS in Aerospace Engineering
GPA: 3.57
(spent last 3 years of school here)

Univ. Central Florida
BS in AE
GPA 4.0
(spent freshman year here)

Testing:
59/7/7/7

GRE
Math: 720
Verbal: 440 (whatever, math is better)

LOR:
2 family friends. One being an airtraffic controller
1 doctor who was involved with teaching at UF med as well.

30 flight hours towards private pilot license

couple other small things...

NAVYBM2

Contributor
1. NFO
2. AMDO
3. NUKE

Georgia Institute of Technology
BS in Aerospace Engineering
GPA: 3.57
(spent last 3 years of school here)

Univ. Central Florida
BS in AE
GPA 4.0
(spent freshman year here)

Testing:
59/7/7/7

GRE
Math: 720
Verbal: 440 (whatever, math is better)

LOR:
2 family friends. One being an airtraffic controller
1 doctor who was involved with teaching at UF med as well.

30 flight hours towards private pilot license

couple other small things...
OMG!!!!
I am glad I got picked up in March. I have a new name for this April Board thread though, the "SUPER STATS BOARD." This is insane, what are you people doing applying to the NAVY, you should be applying directly to NASA.

Kaminoshi

Are my stats really that good (and everyone elses for that matter)?

I figured the selection boards were even stricter, aside from a gpa I dont have much else. Hopefully I have a chance at NFO.

OMG!!!!
I am glad I got picked up in March. I have a new name for this April Board thread though, the "SUPER STATS BOARD." This is insane, what are you people doing applying to the NAVY, you should be applying directly to NASA.

I am doing the navy for many reasons, one plus side to the navy over nasa is their AEDO program. Working with nasa, test pilot school, navair etc... as an engineer requiring NFO or pilot experience. Best of both worlds

mjulian

Lingerer
OMG!!!!

For real. I am so F*%&ed on this one. Looks like Ill be reapplying in 6 months :icon_tong. Jk, I love the challenge. At least this time if I dont get it Ill know that the other applicants actually deserved it.

headinclouds

Well at this point I might as well post my stats instead of just lurking around:
22/m
non prior

1. SNA
2. SNFO

Manhattan College
B.S. Secondary Education/Mathematics
3.41 GPA

ASTB: 58 7/8/8

LOR: 3 former Employers and 2 professors

EC:
-Presidential Scholarship
-Vice President of Pi Mu Epsilon Sr year (Math Honor Society)
-Speaker at Spuyten Duyville Undergraduate Math conference (2004)
- 4yrs Ice Hockey (HS)
-Goalie NYC Floorball Club

Good Luck everyone

hmbeagle

No way mjulian, I feel like everyone I've seen on here is fully qualified and within the range that seems to be getting pro-rec'd - I'm hoping to see each and every one of you in Newport in the next couple months. And yes, kaminoshi, your stats are pretty damn good. Best of luck to everyone, let the countdown begin!

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
I've been lurking, but I have a better idea now, so I'll post.

Non-rec from the March board for SNA/NFO, but tabled for surface warfare, so I'm on the April board for that.

23/M
ASTB: 7/7/6 61
BBA Marketing '09 University of Houston
Honors College
GPA 2.9 (Thanks, architecture school!)
Founder and Manager of Club Ultimate Frisbee (acted as captain though)
VP Marketing, Board Member for Student-Alumni Connection
Significant volunteer time with UH Athletics Marketing and Spirit of Houston Marching Band
Lots of intramurals
Steady work history back to 2000
SAT: 1280 (the old version), ACT: 29
HS Honor Graduate
HS Marching Band (Westfield, in case you know about HS band) and Tennis team
LOR: 2 from UH Athletics Marketing directors, 1 from pastor - retired Major, US Army Rangers

Going to do MEPS and PRT pretty soon. I got rolled over, like graig above, probably because I got my stuff in three days before deadline. Made my final decision to actually do this around February 3, so I tried to hurry my package in, and now I get to wait anyway. Aviation sounds like it's really competitive right now, so good luck to you guys going for that in April.