• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2010 Boards

Dominoes

OMG!!!!
I am glad I got picked up in March. I have a new name for this April Board thread though, the "SUPER STATS BOARD." This is insane, what are you people doing applying to the NAVY, you should be applying directly to NASA.
Everyone who posted their app here has fantastic stats. That said, it looks like there are far fewer apps than for the March board, at least on this forum and the Navy OCS portal.

Santi87

Yeah, it seems like there are fewer applicants by the responses so far...maybe that will ultimately mean higher selection rate (hopefully)? Maybe since March applicant pool was so ridiculously huge because everyone got pushed over and Feb was cancelled, the number of people eligible to apply may just be smaller (they can only reapply in May at the earliest if they were non-selects for March since they missed April cutoffs).

Or there could just be a ridiculous amount of lurking prospective officers :icon_tong

And yeah, I can see no rhyme or reason to who has been accepted/rejected for a slot thus far, seems completely random. Makes me feel not so bad about having a lower GPA than I would like.

Joeski

I actually did, the computer had server problems when i showed up. Any questions about it?

I took the paper version with the Marine Corps, I just wondered if the electronic version is much different. I'd like to take a crack at the electronic version because all my securities licenses were electronic tests, little more familiar platform. You didn't happen to take both did you?

navygraig

LT Withrow
I've been lurking, but I have a better idea now, so I'll post.

Non-rec from the March board for SNA/NFO, but tabled for surface warfare, so I'm on the April board for that.

23/M
ASTB: 7/7/6 61
BBA Marketing '09 University of Houston
Honors College
GPA 2.9 (Thanks, architecture school!)
Founder and Manager of Club Ultimate Frisbee (acted as captain though)
VP Marketing, Board Member for Student-Alumni Connection
Significant volunteer time with UH Athletics Marketing and Spirit of Houston Marching Band
Lots of intramurals
Steady work history back to 2000
SAT: 1280 (the old version), ACT: 29
HS Honor Graduate
HS Marching Band (Westfield, in case you know about HS band) and Tennis team
LOR: 2 from UH Athletics Marketing directors, 1 from pastor - retired Major, US Army Rangers

Going to do MEPS and PRT pretty soon. I got rolled over, like graig above, probably because I got my stuff in three days before deadline. Made my final decision to actually do this around February 3, so I tried to hurry my package in, and now I get to wait anyway. Aviation sounds like it's really competitive right now, so good luck to you guys going for that in April.

Hey jtdees,
You are the first person that I have heard from the March board that is in the same situation I am with being tabled for SWO. Very weird huh? Kind of like a darn I didnt get pro-rec'd but whew I didn't get non-select. Hopefully it means they want to hire us in April! I have my fingers crossed for both of us! I really want to be a Naval officer! Seems like April is going to be an extremely light board after the massive number of apps in March... Good luck with MEPS - it's... an experience alright.

allin21

I have lurked around here long enough. Here are my stats!

22/M
non-prior

1. SNA
2. NFO

University of West Florida
BS in Management Information Systems
3.63 GPA

ASTB 57 6/6/6
ACT 29

Extracurricular:
-Played basketball in high school
-President of ACM (main organization for my degree)
-Study abroad in China
-John C. Pace Scholarship Recipient
-College of Business Scholastic Excellence Scholarship Recipient

LOR:
-High school basketball coach
-Former employer: State Attorney's Office
-Long time family friend
-Congressman

navygraig

LT Withrow
Did anyone happen to take the paper version of the ASTB?

Hey I took the paper version... took me all three times.. :banghead_ which is why I couldn't get my app in until Feb. But I finally got that 50+ score. Very frustrating test because the 3 versions are all pretty different in difficulty.

I really don't see that other than getting scores instantly the comp version would have any benefit over the paper. With the paper version you can go back and work on problems you skipped initially (in the same test) or look over your work and correct. I've taken A LOT of tests in my life and I would take that one on paper any day even though it means you wait a week for the score. Just my op

znibbor

OAR: 56 5/5/5 (Thinking about retaking)

School: Black Hills State University (South Dakota)
Major: Elementary Education
Minor: Middle Level Education
GPA: 2.9 (ouch)

LORs: Retired O6, Current employer, 2 professors, 2 former employers

Motivational statement: Strong, I think.

PRT: Not yet completed
MEPS: Waiting for waiver
Interview: 03/11/2010 (Navy O-5) Went incredibly well. Could not have asked for a better interview.

Applying for: NFO, SWO, Supply

Father put in 26 years and step-father put in 30 years. Looking forward to years of service and continuing the family tradition!

A

AlexSmart

znibbor, do you think you could let me take a look at a few of the questions you asked during your interview? I am about to conduct mine in a few days and have been trying to field as many as possible to make sure I don't miss anything.

znibbor

znibbor, do you think you could let me take a look at a few of the questions you asked during your interview? I am about to conduct mine in a few days and have been trying to field as many as possible to make sure I don't miss anything.

Questions I asked? Was I supposed to prepare questions?!

He asked me a lot about myself. I had just spent almost 9 hours at MEPS so I was pretty exhausted and feel like I rambled on and on. I talked about why I want to be in the Navy (literally said "Because the ships look awesome" in addition to other things, of course.), my family military history, what my dreams are outside of the Navy, wanting a commission vs. wanting a specific community. He did ask me what I think leadership is and how I would respond in certain situations. I said without being in the situation I couldn't give a genuine response, and he seemed to think this was the most appropriate response.

I don't know that he had prepared a lot of questions either. The interview lasted about 60 minutes and I asked a lot of questions which lead to sea stories. It was a great experience overall. If you have more specific questions, please let me know.

A

AlexSmart

I guess my only question was how you submitted your interview to your OR to have it included in your package. I am a non-prior but I think I am going to do an interview. I have been trying to contact some prior service guys to see exactly how they went about doing this.

znibbor

I am also non-prior. My recruiter sent him some kind of form. The interviewer said he would fill out the sheet but that he also wanted to fill out a narrative about me and the interview. He either e-mailed or faxed it to my OR, I believe.