• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2010 Boards

mjulian

Lingerer
Ill be the first to go on this one.

For my second attempt:
22/m
BDCP
SNA, SFO, Intel

PRT- 80 su, 90 pu, 10:00 1.5 mile (78 su, 75 pu, 10:15 1.5 mile 1st try)
ASTB- 5/6/6 2nd try (5/5/5 50 1st try)
LOR's- 2 O-4s, 3 employers, 2 professors, my adviser, and the associate president of the university

Saint Leo University
BS- Sport Business with minors in Marketing, Economics, and Risk Management
GPA-3.0 (2.9 first time around)

Extracurricular
College:
DIV. II Lacrosse for 3 years
Sport Business Association:
-Current President and previous senator to the Student Gov. Union
-Recent Captain/Leader of school's team in National Sport Marketing Case Study Competition that we were champions
-NEW: Community Service Day Site Leader Fall/Spring

High School:
Army JROTC
-Battalion Commander at the rank of LtCl.
-Captain of State Champion Raider Team
-Captain of Rifle Team
Lacrosse
-Captain
-Conference Runner up

Previous Employment:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
-Marketing
-Ticket Sales
-Game day operations supervisor of at least 15 people depending on the game

Additional:
Currently play for the Scottish National Lacrosse Team
-Rob Powell Unsung Hero Award; US Tour 2010

Best of luck to everyone!!!!

P.S. I am owed beer from the Feb boards :)

tingler25

I guess I can post my stats here now since my package is mailed off. Hopefully it will be seen at the April board.
Applying for IW, SWO/IW, SWO/IP
Stats:
EM1(SW) (nuke)
30 years old
BS in Nuclear Engineering Tech
Thomas Edison State College
3.5 GPA
OAR 64, 9/7/8
Evals (newest 1st): EP MP MP EP EP EP
Awards: 4 NAM’s, 4 FLOC’s, 3GC’s
PRT (newest 1st): GH, GM, GH
Interviews: O-6, O-5, 3 O-3’S
LOR: O-6
Extracurricular: Volunteer at local Foodbank and Community baseball team

gabe2010

Hello everyone best of luck! Got my package out Mar 02, 2010. I'm pretty sure I missed the cut off for March but I should get in April Boards.

Applying Intel, SWO/IW and Supply

AWV1 (NAC/AW)
Male/33 (getting old....running out of time)
BS Professional Aeronautics, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
3.5 GPA
OAR 54/6/6/6
Evals: MP EP EP EP
Strong Leadership back ground: LPO at last command and currently a Recruit Division Commander at Recruit Training Command Great Lakes, Il. It will be ironic if I wind up back in boot camp (OCS).
Awards: 3 Air Medals, 2 NAMs, 2 FLOC and 3 GC, Iraqi Campaign, USCG Special Ops Ribbon
PRT: OH (100), OH(100) and OH(95)
Interviews: O6 (CO), 05 (Intel), 04(Pilot), O3 X 3
Volunteer: Meals on Wheels, Habitat for Humanity

Santi87

Looks like I'm going for April, should have this baby submitted within the next few days. Recruiter is running a few things by his processors before he sends it off, so as of now:

22/M
Applying SNA, NFO, Intel
New York University, Stern Business
B.S. Marketing
GPA: 2.993
ASTB: 6/5/7/61
SAT: 1360

Employment:
Currently work in electrical engineering as a project estimator/planner.
Worked previously in major corporate online advertising agency - media planning/buying/trafficking.

Extra-curricular/Leadership:
Produced & directed several independent short films; led development of several major projects.
Stern Tisch Entertainment Business Association - VP of Publicity & Marketing
College Baseball - 4yrs
Other Baseball (Adult, Legion, HS, AAU, etc) - 10yrs
Swimming - worked out with swim team in HS but did not compete due to fall baseball league.
HS National Honor Society
HS Newspaper

References/Letters of Recc:
Current Employer
Former Employer
Dean of School
Professor
O6 - Army - former baseball coach and college professor
O6 - Army - friend
O6 - Navy - friend
O5 - USMC - friend

Wish that GPA was higher, but not much I can do about it now. I guess between sucking at corporate accounting and slacking off in both Latin American studies and IT for Business finally came back to bite me in the ass (I'm Spanish, so obviously I should have aced LatinAm without even thinking...WRONG...and already working for major online ad firm made worrying about IT seem pretty useless...once again, WRONG). Oh well, I always have two more tries at the ASTB if I don't get picked up.

Good luck all, now for the wait --

~C

Joeski

Just sent my package off today.

22/M
SNA - SNFO

PRT - 73 SU, 61 PU, 10:30 1.5 mi (Above 5000 ft PRT)
ASTB - 5/6/5 46
LOR - 6 strong ones from former employers (Senior Consultant, Investment Banker, Managing Director... Business/Finance people)

MEPS - Cleared, 20/20, full depth & color

University Denver
BSBA - Economics/Finance 3.01 GPA
Top 100 University (U.S News & Business Week) - I've heard this matters and I've heard it doesn't

College:
National Society of Collegiate Scholars
Cherrington Global Scholars Study Abroad Scholarship
Intramural Sports
Worldvision Volunteer

High School:
Varsity Football
Varisty Track
Elementary School Tutor
Camp Counselor

Professional:
Ranked among the top 10% of interns for production at a Fortune 500 company
After a 2 month 'trial' period at an investment company, I was awarded a permanent position over MBA candidates as an undergrad
I've led a few projects in my current position with great results

A strong motivational statement with a different approach. I think this may be one of the stronger aspects of my package, because it definitely isn't my ASTB score.

Good luck to all of you guys! I'll be sure to post any news I hear regarding the April Boards.

The Wait Begins...

Joe

Santi87

I'm hoping the school makes a difference. You would think a top school would offset a lower GPA, as in a 3.0 from a top tier school is more like a 3.8 from a school in the middle of the pack. For me personally, NYU Stern is ranked just behind Wharton, MIT, and Michigan in the college rankings, so hopefully my 2.993 looks more like a 3.6 or so anywhere else.

I was doing research for Marine OCS and the OSO mentioned with regards to school, they have a list of schools and they give your application a weight based on the school's rank (I think it was divided up into three sections, with the top section being prestige Ivy type schools, the second being Top100 et al, and the last section being community colleges, other degree granting programs, etc. Point being, top tier schools and top100 got a special weight. But that was Marines, so not sure how the Navy views this. Really just wishful thinking more than anything, hoping the nice school boosts my application, or at least puts my GPA in league with or ahead of other applicants. I think it also shows ambition and a successful track record to attend a prestigious university. Other employers seem impressed with the school, so why not the Navy?

Joeski

I've heard the same from a Marine OSO concerning the weighted point values for schools, but that was a couple years ago.

My guess is they're going to take a relative 'whole education' approach. Where did you go to School, how does that school stack up nationally? What did you major in, is it relative to what you're applying for? What's your GPA and what are the variables that may have affected that GPA i.e. it would be hard to maintain a 3.6 in chemical engineering while playing SEC Football (just an example but you get the point). Just my 2 cents.

hmbeagle

My package was sent out today, so I'm hoping that I got in ahead of the deadline for April.

22/M
SNA/SNFO
ASTB: 9/9/9/64
GPA: 3.58 - Boston College, Carroll School of Management

Strong standardized test scores as well, for what they're worth (LSAT 172, SAT 2360)

ECs:
Resident Assistant
Teaching Assistant
Research Assistant
Lots of intramural sports
Volunteer teaching SAT prep courses for inner-city kids in Boston
Training for/competing in marathons (Boston-qualified)

HS Track and Cross-Country captain, 4x varsity letters
HS Hockey captain

Employment:
Software Engineering Intern, Apple Inc.
2 years of freelance writing work
Paid on-campus positions (TA, Resident assistant, Research assistant)

And the bad....

Just 3 employer LORs, no former military. It seems like everyone else is loading up on LORs, many of which are from very impressive sources, so I'm hoping that the fact that I only have the recommended 3 isn't going to hurt me. Good luck everyone, the stats posted above all look strong!

Tc85roadracer

So somebody in the march forum said that the April board was canceled and pushed to July?????? Can someone confirm? My OR can't.....yet.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
So somebody in the march forum said that the April board was canceled and pushed to July?????? Can someone confirm? My OR can't.....yet.

It's the beginning of the new fiscal year so I wouldn't be concerned with some scuttlebutt from the March boards. Don't flip out everytime you hear a rumor because more than likely it isn't true.... Wait and see if it turns out to be true.... You are trying to enter the armed forces.... HURRY UP AND WAIT IS THEIR MOTO! Guess what you are doing right now... Patience goes a long ways in the military and this will not be the last time this happens if you join.

P.S. A quick question for you... If this was true that it was pushed to July then what happened to May? That should raise a bigger flag!

Santi87

Sounds super ghetto, that whole logic just seems bigtime sketch. Check out below, came across it via the March Board thread:

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=51782

New fiscal year begins in October (when we would be getting commissioned), so it makes sense to top load early on and fill out the ranks later, which means bigger classes early and smaller classes later on. The numbers given at that link support the logic too -- first classes will be averaging 100, which thins out as the year progresses to 90 per class, accounting for the top loading. Plus there's been a ton of word saying the boards for March already met, and there's no reason to believe April will not as well. Similar thing is going on in Marines, except magnified to the extreme...no more air contracts for OCC until the new fiscal year (October OCS/OCC). It will only be like 3-5 slots that open up due to flight school being way backed up for the Corps, but same theory...top load and get what you can while you can get it, before budgets and other bs shuts you out.

These rumors are killers, I swear...I can't even imagine what it must be like to have been trying to apply since November and still have no word, my hat is off to you patient souls.

navygraig

LT Withrow
Hey Guys!
So I'm switching sides and coming to the April 2010 thread now. My app was reviewed at the March board and, (thank God!) I was not rejected like most of the hundreds of people - but, was not Pro-Rec'd. I have a feeling it was because I was way down on the list since my app was sent off on the very last cutoff day in Feb.
So here it is!
27/m
SWO
51 5/5/5
BA 3.2
Post BA 3.5
MA 3.9
-Many years in different leadership capacities, 5 years as a High School Band Director
-6 (I think very strong) LOR's (1 from an AF 0-5 (Ret) that I used to work with and was once a professor at the AF Academy)
...Back to the waiting game!!!
Good Luck Everyone! I hope we ALL get what we want and the Navy needs!

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
fingers crossed

19/M non-prior
SNA
ASTB: 9/9/9/68
GPA: 3.02 - University of Illinois, Aerospace Engineering
SAT: 1430
ACT: 33

Stuff I do in college:
University of Illinois Rube Goldberg Team - Treasurer (placed 2nd in national competition in 2009)
University of Illinois Marching Illini Drumline - Snare
AIAA (Illinois Chapter)

Stuff I did in HS:
Men's Tennis - 3 years Captain 1 year
Men's Cross Country - 3 years
HS Drumline - 4yrs Captain 2yrs

Other Stuff:
Club Ultimate Frisbee - Captain 3yrs
Church Acolyte Team - 9yrs
BSA - Eagle Scout
Certified Scuba Diver

Employment:
Head Lifeguard at a local pool saving small children from drowning... not kidding i have 13 saves over 4 summers

LOR's
employer
0-6 - Navy
history teacher
church youth group leader

I was feeling ok about my package until I browsed through the lucky guys who got pro-rec'd from march. I don't think my gpa is high enough to cut it at the boards in april. Good luck to everyone else.