• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Appropriate Winging Gift

family1

I need a gift for a newly winged aviator. Ebay has a set of large, carved wooden wings that would be used as a wall hanging. (Item # 6597499271).

Would these be well received, or would they be considered lame?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about a real nice Surefire A2 Aviator flashlight (redLED, White Xenon).

They have a 25% discount for military. I have several and they are awesome for pre-flighting at night.

www.surefire.com

Pags

N/A
pilot
several? is the $200 flashlight that much an improvement over the $10 maglite that it warrants spending that much extra money? of course, i wouldn't mind getting one for a winging (in case anyone is looking for ideas), but i also wouldn't mind getting a set of solid gold wings. of course, anything extra is pretty much gravy at that point.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
I'd go with the solid gold wings (my wife bought me some). I also like the aircraft models that they sell, but that's me. Something like this is what I mean ...

... although there are many others out there.

Maybe a print of the aircraft selected?

Saw some that had prints of the training aircraft flown plus the fleet aircraft.

Could also call the spouse or girlfriend (boyfriend?) and ask what they'd like.

Hope that helps ...

Click on pics for links ... I haven't bought any of these, just Googled them so I can't vouch for quality.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
OK, we've gone from $25 wooden wings to $200 flashlights and gold wings. I think that the wooden wings would be great. The only concern I would have is that they're pretty large (32" x 10"). I think the idea of a print of the A/C is great.

B

Blutonski816

A watch would seem like a nice gift... I think the issue of Aviators and watches was covered in another thread...

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Motion Models charges ~$140 for a stock, nothing extra E-2 model.

https://www.asianimportsinc.com/ will custom paint it, configure it, names, etc. for the same price. They've done about a bizillion cruise plaques, models, etc. (or in my squadron's case, a cruise plaque with a model. Fantastic work. Plus they do a lot more than just plaques and models.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure you're looking for something aviation related, but I'm sure something practical/entertaining would be appreciated as well. Subscription to Netflix, gift certificate (movie buff? Best Buy. Car Guy? Napa/Checkers/Pep Boys), a nice bottle of scotch/whiskey/vodka/moonshine/turpentine. All of this would be in the 25 - 100 dollar range.

A nice card with a family photo, and a little cash, would go over well with any new aviator as well.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I'm gonna have to disagree with the wooden wings, they are cool in wardrooms and O'clubs but that is about it.
The gold wings are always a hit, I also really liked a framed picture of my fleet a/c with 2 smaller pics of the training aircraft flanking a set of wings. These can be found from Wings in Pensacola on Barrancas. or at www.flywings.com

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
My in-laws bought me a helmet bag (black, so different than everyone elses) with my name and wings embroidered. Don't know how much they paid, but embroidered wings on helmet bags are always a great gift.

My girlfriend then (wife now) bought me a hand sketched drawing of the MH-60S (helo I selected) matted in the center of a large picture frame and the T-34 and TH-57 (training aircraft) in smaller mattes below it along with a matted set of wings between all 3. Greatest wall hanging I've ever seen.

Be careful with the watch...while the Blue Angel Citizens are very popular, you don't want to be wearing it on top of an aircraft you are preflighting unless you don't mind it getting banged around a bit.

My 2 sense.
D

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I say get something cool that he/she would really want. My parents got me a digital camera so that I could send them pictures from the boat and other places I had been to. I thought it was pretty cool. The watches are cool, but I second the banging around comment. I went from a nice fossil to a cheap timex really quick once I started hitting my hands against domes and oil lines. Just get what he/she would like.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
14K Wings of gold would be very special. I'd also consider a quality leather flight jacket (the spec has been relaxed so the issue ones are pale shadow of the real deal...fake mouton and rolled leather, etc.). There are some good threads on quality leather jackets. Neat gift for the wingee to give dad as well.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with the wooden wings issue. Kinda 70's.

However, the personalized gift is a good idea. Gold wings would definitely be a hit. If you want a model, check out : http://www.squadrontoys.com/ They do a pretty good model....imported from the PI.

I wish I had a $200 flashlight too. Most likely it would probably end up gear adrift.