• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to both Services (USN/USMC)

HakTX

The other day a buddy of mine asked why I hadnt applied to both services (USN and USMC) if the selection process was that competitive and both services accepted the ASTB? I told him that it all came down to the type of missions/obligations you wanted as an officer. That said, it got me wondering if it was possible to apply to two separate branches? or if it was even possible to apply to one branch if you did not get selected by the other?

yakboyslim

None
My understanding is you can't apply to multiple at the same time. But obviously you can apply to as many as you want, one at a time.

I was told that by a Marine OR I talked to after not being accepted to the Nuke program, just to learn about other options before I got my NFO package together.

SWOHopeful

You probably could but your motivational statement for joining either branch would be lacking, as it would appear you did not care which one you were in. You have to disclose on the application if you were/tried applying to another branch for commission.

bob88899

well... i was a non-select 3 times for AF the nav/abm rated boards.... applied to the November NFO board... and i was selected first time (but thru the 2.5 years i have built up my resume, which has helped)... I dont think you can apply to two different services at the same time(could be wrong)..but you can def apply to another branch after non-selection. On the appliction you just have to say what service and a reason for non-selection (which i always put non-select because they dont give you a reason... your on a list or you arent...) all you have to do is get your MEPS paperwork signed over to the different service.

bob88899

You probably could but your motivational statement for joining either branch would be lacking, as it would appear you did not care which one you were in. You have to disclose on the application if you were/tried applying to another branch for commission.

you adapt your motivational statment to each services application.. your motivational statement will only be lacking if you make it lacking... I wrote why i wanted a commision, what i could bring to the table, and ofcourse my passion for aviation. i didnt mention my non-selections on my motivational statement (i dont think there is a reason to).. and you dont have to... but it will be on the appliction itself.

SWOHopeful

you adapt your motivational statment to each services application.. your motivational statement will only be lacking if you make it lacking... I wrote why i wanted a commision, what i could bring to the table, and ofcourse my passion for aviation. i didnt mention my non-selections on my motivational statement (i dont think there is a reason to).. and you dont have to... but it will be on the appliction itself.

I was speaking more towards applying to both branches at the SAME time. If you got denied one, of course it makes since to try another.

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
I don't know what the rules are for applying to multiple services simultaneously, but I would definitely apply multiple times in sequence. I had to apply 3 times before I got accepted. Just be persistent.

Rg9

pilot
Huh??? How would this be lacking?

Now, admittedly, I didn't do OCS. But how in the world do you think someone reading an application that says how passionately you want to by a *Naval Officer* while noting you applied to both *Naval* services would think that to be bad? That just doesn't make an ounce of sense. Both the Academy and Navy ROTC commission Navy and MC Officers alike. It's the same Department. If you're trying to fly, it's the same flight school.

Maybe applying to, say, Navy and Army... but really, I think you're just guessing here.

HakTX

It just got me thinking and was wondering if I got turned down from from one, how would it look on the other.

RussBow6

you either wanna serve or you dont. why wouldnt you apply to both...

i was all about pushing for marine ocs as well and i even told them i had the meps and astb from applying to navy ocs and they were ready to accept it... but they didnt call me back till after i was sworn in Navy... bummer for sure.

learning how to fight/be in combat and actually knowing how to fire a weapon seems to be a no brainer for wanting to be in the military... so marine ocs really appealed to me. their helicopter platforms are pretty sweet too and i love the idea of being close support to units on the ground. anytime i could strap into a roller coaster and be able to blow stuff up at the same time... thats definitely something i can get my head into.

like rg said maybe if you applied to separate branches like the navy and army... but even then... you want to serve your country so i think people would definitely respect it.

i ran into some air force pilots on a flight when i was still applying and they asked what i was doing and they said if the navy didnt take me the air force definitely would... if i wasnt accepted to navy ocs would i have applied to the af...? i definitely would of looked into it. thank god i didnt have to make that choice though haha...

Rg9

pilot
...i ran into some air force pilots on a flight when i was still applying and they asked what i was doing and they said if the navy didnt take me the air force definitely would....
I wouldn't count on it. The AF has higher standards for the most part. Not on anything that really matters, mind you, but I think they just get more applicants so they weed them out on minor things like allergies, not having the "correct" college degree, etc.

I was rejected from being an officer in the AF period (including doing things like being an engineer, managing athletic facilities, etc... nothing) for some minor health history issues. I fought it the best I could, to no avail. Went up to the Navy ROTC office, and after some simple paperwork... well, look what's under my name :icon_wink.

jtmedli

pilot
I wouldn't count on it. The AF has higher standards for the most part. Not on anything that really matters, mind you, but I think they just get more applicants so they weed them out on minor things like allergies, not having the "correct" college degree, etc.

I was rejected from being an officer in the AF period (including doing things like being an engineer, managing athletic facilities, etc... nothing) for some minor health history issues. I fought it the best I could, to no avail. Went up to the Navy ROTC office, and after some simple paperwork... well, look what's under my name :icon_wink.

This is O-So true. My #1 gripe about the AF is that they couldn't care less about what kind of officer you'll make, but are more concerned with what you're allergic to and your GPA. Definitely not much of a whole person concept.

magnetfreezer

This is O-So true. My #1 gripe about the AF is that they couldn't care less about what kind of officer you'll make, but are more concerned with what you're allergic to and your GPA. Definitely not much of a whole person concept.

That is part of the centralized management philosophy that drives a lot of AF stuff - in the flying world, for example, a lot of day to day things that your junior LT CDO could approve require O-6 level approval. No matter how big picture the people interviewing are, or how good a person the local ROTC det believes you are, they can't have you in the program unless 6-9 levels of staff offices at Randolph and or Maxwell approve it.