• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for the AF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Physicx

Banned
Since it seems that navy slots are few and far between any of you guys plan on applying to the AF?I know its not the same but at least you would get to fly and serve your country.

i hear AF is having the same problems. A guy i know in AFROTC was told OTS slots were closed, which means more slots for the ROTC/AFA guys, but a pilot slot reduction overall.

I don't vouch for the validity of that statement though...just something I heard secondhand.

gringo

i was told by the Lt Col of my schools AFROTC that they were only taking half the pilot slots as the yr before. and a few intsructors at my FBO all got rejected by the AF.

i am currently applying to ANG units, i know its really competetive but i think its worth a shot. at first i wanted to go navy but over the years i became more interested in the AF.

Physicx

Banned
There are still slots by going through OTS.It has gotten more competive but its still possible.Ang/reserves is very popular and is way more competitive.I don't know why the airlines are not doing very good atleast AD you can make good money and not worry about a job.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Quick story:

My college roommate is currently at AF OTS...talked to him this weekend and he was telling me about his "field exercise" they have to do before graduation. While in the Marine Corps and Army, you'll get a semi-real M-16...the AF gives its OTs those red rubber training rifles.

And no sh*t, they actually have to say "Bang, bang" to simulate firing...

22668L.jpg

HueyCobra8151

pilot
These sites have detailed info on AF Training:

http://www.geocities.com/lancer145/ots1.html
http://www.airforcelife.net/ots.html

Read about the rigors of OTS!!

Here is one of the interesting stories:

We do our PFT, and I finish my run hard. Yeah I did my run in 12:18, but I sprinted really hard on my last lap. Well, I got dizzy and started to feel my lunch try to come back out. Well I run over and just hurl. From what I was told, the Lt. Col that is the OTS Squadron Commander (Real one, not one of the OTs) told me to go see the medical folks. Well, I told him no that I was ok. The people around me were telling me that I need to listen and I still said no. I really don't remember much of this, but it happened. That's not it though. Next, our Flight Commander (another commissioned officer and the guy that runs our squadron) asks me if I am doing ok. I tell him, "Yeah, I just pushed myself hard on the last lap." He replies, "SIR." I didn't catch onto what he was saying, and again said, "I pushed myself hard, I'll be ok." Again, he says to me, "Sir, you need to say sir when you're speaking to me." I didn't realize who I was talking to, so I turn around and say, "Sorry, SIR, I pushed myself hard on that last lap," and then proceeded to deposit my lunch into the grass some more. He's walking away and hears me say, "Hey, that looks like my sloppy joe from lunch today." I heard him say as he was walking away, "I did not need to hear that."

It's hell!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I wasn't really ribbing (well, ok, maybe a little). But those sites are pretty interesting accounts of OTS.

I thought the story was weird though, he is an "officer trainee" and talking to a "Sir" like they are buddies...

[at least] his [service] gets to fly a fighter

16-navy-jet.jpg

link_harrier.jpg

Taildragger

API-bound!
My brother is in the Air National Guard and is currently applying for a pilot slot to his squadron and other ANG/Reserve squadrons. All in all, ANG/Reserve slots are very competitive, but it is very political too. For instance, my dad's former ANG C-130 squadron was basically a big fraternity of pilots for the airline he flies for. It's all about who you know -- my brother will undoubtedly get hired by his squadron -- he's a life support technician, all the pilots know and like him, and they all know he wants to fly for them. So when it comes to interview time, he's gonna have a foot up on the guys applying off the street. Traditionally his squadron only hires from within. Getting hired by an ANG/Reserve squadron is a great way to get into military aviation -- but you not only have to look good on paper, the pilots on your interview board have to like you before they'll hire you.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
man, i puked at the end of an OCS run and the DI yelled at me for stopping before i got back to the PT field!

I tell you i SUUUUCK at running (just as UInavy)...but 12:18!? WOW!

Physicx

Banned
My post here are just to see what people are doing if they don't get a flight slot. I know on this board the AF is not the most popular and was wondering if that would stop people from applying to other services. Pat the other board you’re probably talking to flightinfo. My posts there are just to see what’s out there. If I have a question or if I’m curious about something I will ask. It doesn't matter which message board. I’m still in college and don’t know as much and still trying to learn. Thanks for your guys help.

Status
Not open for further replies.