• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for OCS Question

o631

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and it would be considerably rude of me to go ahead and just ask questions without the proper introduction. I would just like some further guidance and tips on what would make my package stronger in regards to NAVY OCS (Intel).

22 Male
Student at Purdue University
Major: Law & Society
GPA: 3.3 (Had a 3.56 last semester and it dropped due to negligence)
Languages: Fluent in Romanian, Proficient in Spanish, 1 Semester of Arabic
Activities: Part of a fraternity at Purdue, Law & Society club, Entrepreneurship club, High School soccer for 4 years.
Currently also running my own start-up while attending school.

I am very close to graduating and I recently just met with a recruiter since the military has always been a dream of mine. I have one more semester after this and I am looking for ways to improve my package. While my major is unheard of, it is a liberal arts degree with mostly everyone from this degree going on to law school or becoming a law enforcement official. When I met with the recruiter she had mentioned that I stood a pretty decent chance due to my languages and personal information. However, after reading various threads I began to notice that languages are a factor in the application process, but not of uttermost significance. I know Navy Officials also take the ASTB into high consideration, and I don't think that would be a problem since I would study for it months in advance.

Therefore, in what ways could I improve my package to stand a higher chance in the applicant pool? Should I continue to take another semester of Arabic? Should I look into a study-abroad program?

Thank you for your time in advance and I look forward to reading all the responses.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and it would be considerably rude of me to go ahead and just ask questions without the proper introduction. I would just like some further guidance and tips on what would make my package stronger in regards to NAVY OCS (Intel).

22 Male
Activities: Part of a fraternity at Purdue, Law & Society club, Entrepreneurship club, High School soccer for 4 years.

I am very close to graduating and I recently just met with a recruiter since the military has always been a dream of mine. I have one more semester after this and I am looking for ways to improve my package. While my major is unheard of, it is a liberal arts degree with mostly everyone from this degree going on to law school or becoming a law enforcement official. When I met with the recruiter she had mentioned that I stood a pretty decent chance due to my languages and personal information. However, after reading various threads I began to notice that languages are a factor in the application process, but not of uttermost significance. I know Navy Officials also take the ASTB into high consideration, and I don't think that would be a problem since I would study for it months in advance.

Therefore, in what ways could I improve my package to stand a higher chance in the applicant pool? Should I continue to take another semester of Arabic? Should I look into a study-abroad program?

Thank you for your time in advance and I look forward to reading all the responses.
Lot's of stuff there. Lemme try, and other "way mo' smarter" folks can chime in:
1. First things first: Stay out of trouble; off of the local police blotter; don't do drugs or anything else generally stupid. Stay healthy; if you're not still there, get back in soccer shape and more. Looks to me like pretty solid academic and extracurricular creds. Knock of the negligence crap now that you have a focus. Well-respected school, etc., although the "Boilermakers" football record seems to suck… :)
2. Language skills are impressive and probably way better than average, but only "tie-breakers"…against things like OAR, ASTB, etc. It's not like were going to drop you behind enemy lines to work an alliance with local Romanian clan chieftains. Not to start with, anyway...
3. Don't know what the "[my OR likes my] personal information" part means, unless you just mean a sum total of the above. You're not the next in the blood line to reassume the ancient throne or Romania, are you? That COULD mean something…but not to start with.
4. Yes…study for the OAR and ASTB…the real tie-breakers. Your goal is to NOT be "in a tie" with anyone else.
5. If another semester of Arabic won't detract from the stuff you MUST do…by all means, go for it. It's never a negative, unless you tube a core requirement because of it. More math and science might be a thought...
6. The Study Abroad thing: Doesn't ring a bell with me in terms of Navy applicability; might be a good "Plan B" in case the Navy thing drags out. Others will know better.
7. Start working on LORs from former employers/coaches/professors, etc. Probably too early to worry about LORs from Navy or Inter types, but assuming you have an NROTC Unit on campus, you might want to try and meet the XO and CO…just an office call…to explain your situation and ask for THEIR vectors. Just a thought.

Happy (as always) to chip in my $.02. Probably worth EXACTLY what it cost you!

exNavyOffRec

Hello,

Well it is a bit too late to change to a tech degree and that would be the biggest thing you could do.

22 Male

I am very close to graduating and I recently just met with a recruiter since the military has always been a dream of mine.

Then you better look at any designator you can apply for, some Intel boards have had 900 applicants for 30 spots

When I met with the recruiter she had mentioned that I stood a pretty decent chance due to my languages

yeah, very few that are picked for Intel speak any foreign language, the foreign language thing is a big misconception.

I know Navy Officials also take the ASTB into high consideration

not really, for Intel and other IDC designators it is degree and GPA

o631

Lot's of stuff there. Lemme try, and other "way mo' smarter" folks can chime in:
1. First things first: Stay out of trouble; off of the local police blotter; don't do drugs or anything else generally stupid. Stay healthy; if you're not still there, get back in soccer shape and more. Looks to me like pretty solid academic and extracurricular creds. Knock of the negligence crap now that you have a focus. Well-respected school, etc., although the "Boilermakers" football record seems to suck… :)
2. Language skills are impressive and probably way better than average, but only "tie-breakers"…against things like OAR, ASTB, etc. It's not like were going to drop you behind enemy lines to work an alliance with local Romanian clan chieftains. Not to start with, anyway...
3. Don't know what the "[my OR likes my] personal information" part means, unless you just mean a sum total of the above. You're not the next in the blood line to reassume the ancient throne or Romania, are you? That COULD mean something…but not to start with.
4. Yes…study for the OAR and ASTB…the real tie-breakers. Your goal is to NOT be "in a tie" with anyone else.
5. If another semester of Arabic won't detract from the stuff you MUST do…by all means, go for it. It's never a negative, unless you tube a core requirement because of it. More math and science might be a thought...
6. The Study Abroad thing: Doesn't ring a bell with me in terms of Navy applicability; might be a good "Plan B" in case the Navy thing drags out. Others will know better.
7. Start working on LORs from former employers/coaches/professors, etc. Probably too early to worry about LORs from Navy or Inter types, but assuming you have an NROTC Unit on campus, you might want to try and meet the XO and CO…just an office call…to explain your situation and ask for THEIR vectors. Just a thought.

Happy (as always) to chip in my $.02. Probably worth EXACTLY what it cost you!

I really appreciate the feedback and it was worth a whole lot more than $.02 to me. Therefore, thank you once again.

I have not had any run-ins with the law and a completely drug free record throughout my life. I used to be able to run 2 miles in 12 minutes so that is what I have been focusing on. I thought about switching my major to Computer Science since I would say I am somewhat "tech-savvy", but it required another 3 years and the out-of-state tuition is not something that I can just brush off. Therefore, I do know that a STEM degree in our current society carriers a whole lot more load than a liberal arts degree. I am no genius, and I can see why the Intel field's needs would be a tech degree.. however, “Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work." - Albert Einstein.

I am going to work on volunteering hours over the next couple months as well. I also forgot to mention that I had an unpaid internship for the Weed & Seed Program under the Department of Justice over the course of 4 months.

I thought about applying for SWO as well. I read a decent amount of posts about SWO on here and it is something I would also be interested in. I know it is a tough job and it is not for everyone. Would I be able to do a lat move later on or try to pick-up Intel at re-enlistment.. are such things possible?

My main focus is to join the military, even if it meant leaving my start-up company to my partner. My OR said I should have the package done by February and I will make sure to get that done. If I am denied the first time, I thought about taking the enlisted route as an E-3 and hopefully get a job in the Intel field. If I do take the above-mentioned route, will it be of significance if I re-applied for Navy OCS at the age of 27 with 4 years of prior active duty?

There are many options on the table and the end of the next year, I hope that one of them will be executed.

Renegade One,

My hope in Boilermaker football has been long gone. After watching, the "massacre" today from Ohio State (56-0) I was reminded why they are 1-7. I am starting to get the urge that you are an IU fan.

Thank you.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Boost up the GPA, stay out of trouble, stay away from the hospital, and stay in good physical shape if you aren't there already. If you have previous medical history, conditions, etc. start getting the medical documents because your recruiter/doctors will need to see those.

Renegade One

None
I thought about switching my major to Computer Science since I would say I am somewhat "tech-savvy", but it required another 3 years and the out-of-state tuition is not something that I can just brush off. Therefore, I do know that a STEM degree in our current society carriers a whole lot more load than a liberal arts degree. I am no genius, and I can see why the Intel field's needs would be a tech degree.. however, “Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work." - Albert Einstein.
No worries…finances understood, and Albert Einstein has it about right. No worries, I shouldn't think.

I am going to work on volunteering hours over the next couple months as well. I also forgot to mention that I had an unpaid internship for the Weed & Seed Program under the Department of Justice over the course of 4 months.
Do whatever you want so long as DOES NOT take away from the GPA, etc. Everyone has the "nice things" on their resume…never really sure that it matters in the great hunt. Anyone? Bueller?

I thought about applying for SWO as well. I read a decent amount of posts about SWO on here and it is something I would also be interested in. I know it is a tough job and it is not for everyone. Would I be able to do a lat move later on or try to pick-up Intel at re-enlistment.. are such things possible?
I'm going to show my "old school ass" here a bit and say YES…go for SWO first. I've always wondered why folks physically and otherwise qualified to go "Unrestricted Line" in any community would put in for Restricted Line or Staff Corps instead (Medical types, Chaplains, Lawyers and Civil Engineers excepted…they are different stories). The Navy is a great service…fights forward (may it ever be thus…), and I think you'd like to be a part of "haze gray and underway" for some period of time before you chase options. EVERY job as a Commissioned Officer is a "Tough one and not for everyone". Again…be it ever thus. You will never have to "re-enlist"…you will try to extend your commissioned service beyond your MSR (Minimum Service Requirement…it varies…), and I can tell you (I think) that's it's a much easier "segue" from URL to Intel than ever the other way around. What you would bring to the Intel Community, having earned your "Water Wings" (SWO pin/OOD underway and possibly TAO quals) would make you much more highly prized as a "lat-transfer". Think about it…talk to some folks that you may know or can contact (again, does Purdue have an NROTC Unit?).

My main focus is to join the military, even if it meant leaving my start-up company to my partner. My OR said I should have the package done by February and I will make sure to get that done. If I am denied the first time, I thought about taking the enlisted route as an E-3 and hopefully get a job in the Intel field. If I do take the above-mentioned route, will it be of significance if I re-applied for Navy OCS at the age of 27 with 4 years of prior active duty?
The first sentence is spot on. Good for you. As for going Enlisted as an "entry" position…I'd recommend against it. With your background, life-skills and academic creds, I think you'd be very frustrated during those initial 4 years, with no promises at the other end. Plus: at age 22…time is on your side. The system can be frustratingly slow, and it make take several "tries" to get selected. Hang in there. Make a ton of money with your start-up while you can! It'll be back to "One pound, three shillings and ten pence a day" when you raise your hand!:)

Renegade One, My hope in Boilermaker football has been long gone. After watching, the "massacre" today from Ohio State (56-0) I was reminded why they are 1-7. I am starting to get the urge that you are an IU fan. Thank you.
Nah…I had to Google Purdue Football stats just to bust your balls. Welcome to the forum/fray!
V/R (which means "Very respectfully"), R1

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

If you really want to serve as an officer apply for SWO at the same time, but don't count on a lateral transfer down the road, nothing is guaranteed.

If you just want to serve in the USN in the Intelligence field in any capacity then you could go enlisted, but don't count on getting picked up officer again nothing is guaranteed.

I think you would have a better than average shot at SWO based on what you have done.

Renegade One

None
If you really want to serve as an officer apply for SWO at the same time, but don't count on a lateral transfer down the road, nothing is guaranteed.

If you just want to serve in the USN in the Intelligence field in any capacity then you could go enlisted, but don't count on getting picked up officer again nothing is guaranteed.

I think you would have a better than average shot at SWO based on what you have done.
Okay, okay…NavyOffRec said it much more economically than I. Good on him. I'll stop working on my PowerPoint brief for you…which was already in the dozens of slides… ;)

o631

Understood. I will apply for SWO as well. I just need to make my package more competitive and I will start that by beginning to study for the ASTB. I just wanted to see if there were any other things I could work on to improve my package.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that it is somewhat easier to get an SWO slot compared to Intel. Therefore, is this due to higher amount of slots being open for SWO's? Or is it due to the fact that the Intel field is generally more competitive and has a higher pool of applicants?

I highly desire to work in the Intel field, however, I know nothing is handed on a platter now a days. My OR told me I could enlist first and wait for the OCS opportunity. I further researched that option and came up with the conclusion that I should not take that option because there is an extremely low chance of gaining a commission. Does anyone have any experience with that option?

Renegade, Purdue does have a NROTC Unit and I will make sure to talk to the corresponding officials.

Thank you for the information gentleman.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Understood. I will apply for SWO as well. I just need to make my package more competitive and I will start that by beginning to study for the ASTB. I just wanted to see if there were any other things I could work on to improve my package.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that it is somewhat easier to get an SWO slot compared to Intel. Therefore, is this due to higher amount of slots being open for SWO's? Or is it due to the fact that the Intel field is generally more competitive and has a higher pool of applicants?

I highly desire to work in the Intel field, however, I know nothing is handed on a platter now a days. My OR told me I could enlist first and wait for the OCS opportunity. I further researched that option and came up with the conclusion that I should not take that option because there is an extremely low chance of gaining a commission. Does anyone have any experience with that option?

Renegade, Purdue does have a NROTC Unit and I will make sure to talk to the corresponding officials.

Thank you for the information gentleman.
Why intel if you don't mind me asking? Just curious because you would not believe the breadth of opportunities for SWO's out there in terms of duty. We had SWO's running detachments in Iraq, doing fool blown mission briefings, analyzing imagery we got with the UAVs, running boots on the ground...all kinds of shenanigans. Of course this would be the non traditional career option for a SWO but if your crazy enough the options are on the table.

exNavyOffRec

much easier, Intel has a fraction of spots each year compared to SWO, Intel I would say over the years has average about 40 per year, some more some less, SWO is usually over 200. Intel has the highest age limit so you also get people who have worked for several years as civilians in the Intel field then want to go officer, or you have enlisted that obtain a degree and want to go officer.

My OR told me I could enlist first and wait for the OCS opportunity. I further researched that option and came up with the conclusion that I should not take that option because there is an extremely low chance of gaining a commission. Does anyone have any experience with that option?

Red flag here, there are usually only a few times an OR would talk to a person about enlisting, if the OR is helping out on the officer side but is usually an enlisted recruiter, they think the person has a low chance of being selected, or more rare is the person is set on working in a specific field and the OR suggest that as a path to work in that field.

Last edited:

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

Is there any reason why you can't or don't want to go pilot or NFO? Did your recruiter ask about that?

Why intel if you don't mind me asking? Just curious because you would not believe the breadth of opportunities for SWO's out there in terms of duty. We had SWO's running detachments in Iraq, doing fool blown mission briefings, analyzing imagery we got with the UAVs, running boots on the ground...all kinds of shenanigans. Of course this would be the non traditional career option for a SWO but if your crazy enough the options are on the table.

When I was doing my redesignation at OCS, I went to the SWO brief and they made it clear that a lot of the boots on the ground type stuff was going to be going away as the wars wind down, much to the chagrin of a classmate of mine.

much easier, Intel has a fraction of spots each year compared to SWO, Intel I would say over the years has average about 40 per year, some more some less, SWO is usually over 200. Intel has the highest age limit so you also get people who have worked for several years as civilians in the Intel field then want to go officer, or you have enlisted that obtain a degree and want to go officer.

Did you mean to say 40 and 200+ per board instead of per year? I'm doing the math in my head and at least for intel that doesn't quite match up with the average size of NIOBC classes, even if you throw in a few lat transfers, aviation attrites/NPQs, and the small number of academy/ROTC dudes etc. Still, the odds are really slim.

o631

Not a problem. I have always wanted to work in the Intelligence field because of two factors:
1) The experience and knowledge you gain in the military as an Intelligence officer is sought on the civilian side and has a "decent" job market.
2) I have always been the type of person that does not give up on something just because the answer is not right in front of me. I have always had this research perspective where I tend to research everything.. such as where I go out.. or about products.. etc. I know those aren't relevant examples so I hope I don't get chewed for those ;) .

Another not so important but "cheesy" factor is because as a young kid I always dreamt of working for a Federal Agency in order to protect the citizens of this great country. Then, as I grew older I learned about the Intelligence field and set my eyes on it.

Now, I can't say a SWO position does not transfer into a decent job on the civilian market because I actually have no idea to be quite honest. I don't know what SWO's tend to do after they leave the military.

Last edited:

o631

Is there any reason why you can't or don't want to go pilot or NFO? Did your recruiter ask about that?

The recruiter did mention pilot and IWO, but not NFO. I am not quite sure if my vision is 20/20 since I have not done an eye test in a long time, but I do not wear contacts or glasses. I have not given either too much thought, but throwing around the idea of being a pilot seems interesting.