• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for OCS Question

exNavyOffRec

Did you mean to say 40 and 200+ per board instead of per year? I'm doing the math in my head and at least for intel that doesn't quite match up with the average size of NIOBC classes, even if you throw in a few lat transfers, aviation attrites/NPQs, and the small number of academy/ROTC dudes etc. Still, the odds are really slim.

Per year per OCS goal sheets, there are indeed more billets than that but the number OCS is given has been between 36-50 the past several years.

I should add that every redesignation that occurs at OCS takes one away from those that can go to OCS as Intel. I thought of this when you mentioned your situation before.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not given either too much thought, but throwing around the idea of being a pilot seems interesting boring.
You don't seem to have much motivation for aviation, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a tough and sometimes hazardous journey. If you're not totally 'into it', you will struggle. your classmates and IPs will sense it, and it will not be a pleasant experience. Most aviators do not want a person flying their wing or in their flight crew, who do not particularly desire to be there.:confused: Good luck on Intel/SWO.
BzB

o631

You don't seem to have much motivation for aviation, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a tough and sometimes hazardous journey. If you're not totally 'into it', you will struggle. your classmates and IPs will sense it, and it will not be a pleasant experience. Most aviators do not want a person flying their wing or in their flight crew, who do not particularly desire to be there.:confused: Good luck on Intel/SWO.
BzB

Thank you for the straightforward response. I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to the aviation industry. So far I have narrowed it down to two options that will appear on my package. The only reason I said it would be interesting is because I do not have a problem with flying and I am not afraid of heights. However, I have not given it much thought due to the fact that I always thought my eye sight would not qualify. I do agree with your previous statement though.

Renegade One

None
Well said. I do not plan on applying for a job/position that is not of interest since I do not plan on being miserable or wasting the valuable time of the instructors.
Makes me wonder about YOUR "valuable time". Is the Navy something you're really motivated to do? Even with all the "minimum service requirement" stuff and the pain-points (regardless of community) associated? Don't think of this as a future bullet on a resume…there are so many more you could get at MUCH lower personal cost.

This is a "varsity" life-change for some number of years. Just know that going in. You can't just take your 401K with you and just leave after a year or two to chase the next better opportunity. The whole "oath" thingie...

o631

Makes me wonder about YOUR "valuable time". Is the Navy something you're really motivated to do? Even with all the "minimum service requirement" stuff and the pain-points (regardless of community) associated? Don't think of this as a future bullet on a resume…there are so many more you could get at MUCH lower personal cost.

This is a "varsity" life-change for some number of years. Just know that going in. You can't just take your 401K with you and just leave after a year or two to chase the next better opportunity. The whole "oath" thingie...

When I graduated high school I intended on joining the military then. I did not do it. I decided I would attend college first and see how it went. Now, 4 years later I still have the same intentions. There are other possibilities for my future, but I know in my heart that if I don't do this I will regret it down the road.

I do not think of this as a bullet on my resume in any way possible. I do appreciate you questioning my integrity, but I've always stood firm and I will keep pursuing this goal.

RenegadeOne,

I am in no way trying to be disrespectful, but may I ask what made you join the Navy? Or why the Navy over any other branch?

Thank you sir.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
RenegadeOne,

I am in no way trying to be disrespectful, but may I ask what made you join the Navy? Or why the Navy over any other branch?
Military service was all I EVER wanted to do….since about 5th grade. On the eve (literally) of being sworn in as an Army OCS candidate (Infantry), the Navy gave me the very unexpected opportunity to fly fucking jets off of fucking aircraft carriers….if I could meet their standards. I took the opportunity and NEVER looked back.

I was, and remain, a simple man, who only wanted to make his life extraordinary if I could create the opportunity. That has made ALL the difference….

exNavyOffRec

Military service was all I EVER wanted to do….since about 5th grade.

same here, it was an incredible feeling to have the watch supervisor on a Nimitz class carrier tell you to "light off the engineroom" and you have to make sure it happens, and you are only 21.

BTW it is amazing how much control the engineroom can actually have over what happens.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW it is amazing how much control the engineroom can actually have over what happens.
Well yeah, you get us from here to there, make steam, water & electricity... and put wind over our wings when Mother Nature doesn't. That we do appreciate.:D

On the negative side, the engine room Snipes were dirty, greasy, smelled of black oil.... and took great pleasure in BLOWING THE TUBES as our jets rolled on final! Of course, I can't rag you on that, as you were on the the nuke Nimitz class carrier. Must have disappointed your Engineering types when the nuke ships came on line, they could no longer choke lungs and corrode aircraft on the flight deck, or blind Pilots on the approach.... by BLOWING THE TUBES!:eek:
BzB

exNavyOffRec

or blind Pilots on the approach.... by BLOWING THE TUBES!:eek:
BzB

we couldn't blind them by blowing the tubes we didn't have, but we did have one not so bright nuke MM who didn't follow procedure and dumped a Ships Service Turbine Generator which provided power to the flight deck lights, of course this happened at night, during flight ops. The electrical system doesn't operate in that configuration anymore so that shouldn't happen again.

The person in question had his NEC removed because of this, and then retired.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
we couldn't blind them by blowing the tubes we didn't have, but we did have one not so bright nuke MM who didn't follow procedure and dumped a Ships Service Turbine Generator which provided power to the flight deck lights, of course this happened at night, during flight ops. The electrical system doesn't operate in that configuration anymore so that shouldn't happen again.
Good heavens, I'd rather have them blow smoke in my face, than to "call the ball", then have a sudden blackout on a black, moonless night approach. I'd rather swallow broken glass washed down with Iodine, than have that happen to me:eek:
BzB

BackOrdered

Contributor
I've always wondered why folks physically and otherwise qualified to go "Unrestricted Line" in any community would put in for Restricted Line or Staff Corps instead (Medical types, Chaplains, Lawyers and Civil Engineers excepted…they are different stories).

If only for the OP's sake, I'll answer. Only in the Supply Corps can you say you are a valued mission asset to the SWOs, Aviators, NUKEs, Bubbleheads, SEALs, EOD, SEABEEs and FMF all in the span of a single career. You are never really typecasted into one warfare area, in fact it is somewhat discouraged. I don't know about you, but looking at an O-3 billet list with 6 open DEVGRU billets for the taking is sick.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
If only for the OP's sake, I'll answer. Only in the Supply Corps can you say you are a valued mission asset to the SWOs, Aviators, NUKEs, Bubbleheads, SEALs, EOD, SEABEEs and FMF all in the span of a single career. You are never really typecasted into one warfare area, in fact it is somewhat discouraged. I don't know about you, but looking at an O-3 billet list with 6 open DEVGRU billets for the taking is sick.
"Good answer…good answer…I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you."
0.jpg

Last edited: