• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API to Primary ?'s

Giggles

pilot
Hows it going everyone,
I'm graduating here soon, as well as commissioning, and I found out over X-mas I was selected for 1390. I'm just curious what the transition process is from API to Primary? In other words, can you choose where you want to go for Primary or is it all dependent on when you go through API? How does that all work?

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
First off, congrats on selecting SNA. You are in for probably the toughest training that you have ever done, but you will have a great time doing it. As for your question, it depends. When I went through API in June 2006, most married students (like me) got follow on orders to do Primary at Whiting Field. The other students could request their location (ie: Whiting, Corpus, or Vance), but it was ultimately up to Student Control to decide. I heard a rumor, though, that now unmarried students have no input, and Student Control will arbitrarily decide where you go. Someone who has gone through more recently can probably say if things are still done that way.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I heard a rumor, though, that now unmarried students have no input, and Student Control will arbitrarily decide where you go. Someone who has gone through more recently can probably say if things are still done that way.
Nope, you still can ask. However the spots have been pretty limited in a few of the current classes so there isn't much wiggle room.

Giggles

pilot
Hey thanks, I've wanted it since I was a kid and can't wait to get started. Anyway, thats interesting. Well if that is the case still, any advice or suggestions on where to try and request? What was flying out of Whiting Field like?

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
In theory Corpus is faster. When I was there for most of 2007 it actually took a lot longer. Graduated API in November. Primary in August. My counterparts in Whiting were down April/May. Granted we had some of the worst winter weather last year and it screwed a lot of us over. Historically though Corpus has been the faster primary place.

Now as far as quality of life... Corpus kinda sucks. Not much to do, you're in south texas, aka north mexico, the water tastes horrible unless filtered, and the beaches are a lot shittier than those of the florida coast.

On the bright side, it's historically faster, course rules are a lot simpler, and if you like women well all the women want out of here as much as you do so you'd have no problem finding a gal who's willing to love you. If you like corpus sized women that is...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
In theory Corpus is faster. When I was there for most of 2007 it actually took a lot longer. Graduated API in November. Primary in August. My counterparts in Whiting were down April/May. Granted we had some of the worst winter weather last year and it screwed a lot of us over. Historically though Corpus has been the faster primary place.

Now as far as quality of life... Corpus kinda sucks. Not much to do, you're in south texas, aka north mexico, the water tastes horrible unless filtered, and the beaches are a lot shittier than those of the florida coast.

On the bright side, it's historically faster, course rules are a lot simpler, and if you like women well all the women want out of here as much as you do so you'd have no problem finding a gal who's willing to love you. If you like corpus sized women that is...

I was a Whiting student. Just like this guy said, time to train will change due to many factors. Milton kinda sucks as well. Pensacola is about 25 min away, and it has more stuff - but still sucks. Pensacola Beach and the other beaches up there are much nicer than Corpus. Overall Corpus is a little better than Milton/Pcola, but its really a toss up.

Don't let course rules be a deciding factor. Everyone always said that crap before I started primary and I never really saw what the big deal was about. If you can learn to fly you can learn Whiting course rules.

As for the fine people in both areas - Corpus has more friendly people IMO. Just watch out for the uninsured drivers and you should be fine.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
x2. I found the locals a lot friendlier in general in Corpus than Pensacola. The place gets a bad rap that IMHO, it doesn't really deserve. I am getting kind of sick of the punk ass hispanics though- one tried to pick a fight with me today over absolutely nothing.

Raptor2216

Do yourself a favor and ask for Corpus. I can almost guarantee you will have a good time in Corpus. I know the beaches aren't as clean as p-cola but hell, how much time are you really going to spend at the beach if doing primary in Milton? Not a whole lot is the correct answer to that. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

S3b_viking

Lets not forget about that other base. You could volunteer (or be voluntold) for Vance! You got, well lets see here........... You got the T-6, umm no women, the T-6, nothing to do, and you got the T-6! Oh and that working with the Air Force thing is a real joy.

The only plusses are that you get to fly the T-6 which is an awesome aircraft to fly, and eventhough I started my flight training three months behind my Corpus and Whiting partners, I'll finish a week ahead of them right now. You'll enjoy pretty much anywhere, except here, you'll deal with here.

Heloanjin

pilot
In theory Corpus is faster. ... Historically though Corpus has been the faster primary place.

Not true. Historically, they are the same. At any given time, one location may actually get students done faster, but there is no predicting which location that will be when you are going through.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
x2. I found the locals a lot friendlier in general in Corpus than Pensacola. The place gets a bad rap that IMHO, it doesn't really deserve. I am getting kind of sick of the punk ass hispanics though- one tried to pick a fight with me today over absolutely nothing.

Try walking home from wally-world (that would be Walmart) with a buddy in Las Cruces and have a bum start bothering you, you telling him to fvck off, and then him start storming toward you telling you he's gonna "show you boys what the cops do to you when you're on the streets for a week". I never though I'd get into a fight with a bum outside a fvcking walmart and Cracker Barrel, but it was close. Of course this is right after I get my gun and have to leave it in corpus....

I think he realized that a 50+ alcoholic against 2 20-something Navy/Marine Corps officers was going to = an assbeating so he stopped and yelled at us as he quickly walked away.

Fvcking bums....

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
HAHHAHHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHA!!!! How's the Quinta??? (Spanish for I don't want to sleep here anymore) treating you?

Flying is f-in awesome no?