• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API swim tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

I'll try that. I know, it's crazy the part that everyone else just DOES I can't do. I swim like a fish, float like a rock.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You can swim any dang stroke you want to, free style, doggy paddle, side stroke, breast stroke, back, heck if you have enough energy do the fly. As for continuous, well, if I remember correctly, you had to continuously keep moving and not touch the bottom, so I would imagine that you would have to continuously keep using one of the above mentioned strokes. If you are talking in regard to "pace", yeah, you are not in the olympics, you are just swimming to get under the required time limit (been too long since I did it, 45 min or something, wasn't it?), which is a ridiculous amount of time to swim that in. So whatever stroke you are using is going to be at a slow pace.

Why not go practice?, it amazes me the number of people (that go into the Navy no less) that are uncomfortable in the water. Then you throw a flight suit on them and they have to swim, next thing you know, they are on their 5th attempt at the mile swim. Not saying all weak swimmers will end up with that, but the day my API class did the mile swim, there were 6 or 7 rollbacks from a previous class, of which 3 failed, again.. as for one person failing, there probably is that one person out there somewhere, but the Navy and the program bend over backwards to train and help the weak swimmers along. But if you are that weak swimmer, and you know if you are, do you want to spend that extra time on remedial swim there in API, or improve on a weakness now in your spare time? I thought the motto was drop the donut and PT that ass or something to that affect?
icon_smile.gif

A mile swim won't give you a rash that will kill you (not like it is Dive school where you get sugar cookied and have nasty rashes from the salt and sand after the first week), but some guys just grab the smaller flight suits and walk away from the mile swim with nice reminders. You don't need to cake it on, but it doesn't hurt. Think smarter, not harder...

Dave Shutter

Wear a roomy flight suit but not too big. One word: drag. My flight suit was huge and I came to a complete stop immediately after every stroke. I could have done it in half the time with a smaller suit. You won't do the mile-swim for a few weeks. When you go to the pool every day in the meantime find the perfect size for you, they have hundreds. Just make sure you can move in it.

As for re-taking the test, right after we started, about 3-4 laps, there were two guys in the lane next to mine getting out. Later I asked an instructor if they had cramps or something. He said no, they just stopped. So yeah, you might want to be used to swimming in something.

Tessone

Originally posted by JTP
In all honesty, make your body form a 7 in the water. Chest across the water, and legs down. This was taught to me from my dad, and he learned it in API 30 yrs ago. Keep your arms spread across the surface.

How're you supposed to breathe if your face is in the water and you're not supposed to move around? If you're keeping your face up, that's a good way to cause yourself back problems and probably make you tired, besides.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

ghost_ttu

*grins* Just have to remind them the importance of just completing the task I suppose

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

JTP

When you need a breath you lift your face out of the water and take one. Then put your face right back in the water.

Thanks Mari, thought they would catch that without further directions.

GO DAWGS!!

Tessone

Originally posted by JTP
Thanks Mari, thought they would catch that without further directions.

Sorry about being so dense--I just wasn't sure how strict the "no movement, just floating" rule was. :)

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

pstavrides

I have been through the swims at P-cola for aircrew and SAR school, and have taught water survival up in Newport. The simplest and best advice I can give you is go to the pool regularly and get comfortable in the water. You do not have to get in "swim shape" to do well. The instructors are looking for 2 things. 1. Can you demonstrate the strokes and complete the task. And 2, do you look and feel comfortable in the water.

ghost_ttu

and what if you suck at floating what kind of leadway will they give you? can you make movements to kind of cheat your way through it if you look comfortable doing so? j[:D]

pstavrides

ghost, yes, if you look cofortable you will get a break. They will maybee not see small movements. That the way I conducted swims anyway. You always get a hardass, but for the most part they want you to be able to survive should you decide to go for a dip some day. As soon as your body tenses up, you will not float nearly as well. I swim daily and love teaching. Anyone in my API class is welcome to come to the pool with me when I get to P-cola sometime in January I hope.

ghost_ttu

hehehehe, even at full relaxed I just sink like a relaxed rock. If I tense up, I sink like a tense rock....couple flickers of the wrist and I just prolongue the inevitable, but I just have to prolongue it long enough to pass
icon_smile_wink.gif

FlyGirl

Guys, I have a question...I've heard several stories...but how hard is the swimming at OCS and does it prepare you (build endurance) for that mile swim? In OCS do they pull pilot candidates aside for extra swimming or are you on your own?

Sorry some of you can't float...girls have a big advantage in that area. We have our own floatation devices. LOL. :) My problem is diving and getting to the bottom...I seem to float back up!! So the boots might help me sink some...

kappu411

Naval Aviator
OK boys, what the hek is the deal with this API swim test, I was under the impression that it was to jump off of a 12 foot platfrom and basically swim 50 yards, is this true? or Do I have it all wrong, what is the dela with the talk of swimming a mile????

TONY

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
75 yards with all flight gear (helmet, vest, boots, etc.)
1 mile in flight suit only

<<tali264 says i love the dolphins>>

Status
Not open for further replies.