• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API swim tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

trt23

i'm not that great of a swimmer, and i was wondering if there were any other rocks out there that can comment on the difficulty of the swim tests in API.

ghost_ttu

That's why they were tubby. Hey linguist, I swim like a fish, but like you I have a lot of muscle and I float like a rock. How did they get you through that? I used to be a lifeguard and I would just flicker my hands to give me a little propulsion to get me through the floating sections.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey Ghost, that's one way...I do that too. Another way to help yourself is to put your head back a bit and the helmet will help you out. They do look for that a bit in API, so you have to use it sparingly...or just ignore them. But later on at the regular swim quals, it everyman for himself, and you basically lie, cheat and steal to make it through...well, not really, but it's a lot more lax than at P'cola.

Edited by - gatordev on 09/12/2002 12:06:21

trt23

thanks for the info. i am one of those guys who are in pretty good physical shape but can't swim worth a damn. i guess that's what happens when you grow up in a desert state.

anyone want to comment on which swim test seemed to be the toughest?

ghost_ttu

lie, cheat, steal.....2-5 minutes of time, compromise integrity....If I buy the examiner a beer that has to get me some points back on my integrity karma and I can work 2-5 minutes off of bad judgement soon enough ;)

Ray

The hardest thing was jumping off the platform and swimming under water with the boots on for however far it was. And that wasn't even that hard.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

djams111

I'm not the greatest swimmer in the world by far, but I'd really like to know how anyone can condition themself to swim a mile in full flight gear. Please tell me how to work up to that because I barely have the endurance for a couple of lengths at the pool. I'm really working at it though....any advice on preparation for flight training it extremely welcome.

Tessone

I'm worried about that, too. Any suggestions?

I went to the pool last Sat. and swam some (it's been a while), and just based on getting more fit, I swim a lot better than I used to. But a mile in swim trunks sounds like no fun, not to mention in a flight suit.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
djams,

First thing is to get in the pool and start practicing. Build up to it. Set your goal of either swimming X number of laps, then start increasing that, either that or set yourself a time limit to continuously swim. For the test you don't have to stick with a certain stroke, a lot of people either use breast or sidestroke. For myself, I can move pretty quickly through the water with a sidestroke.. anyways, once you build up to a mile, throw on a big t-shirt (long sleeves if you have one) and some baggy shorts or a pair of jeans. Then swim with those on. Of course tell the life guard what the heck you are doing, or they will go "what the hell!". That should more than adequately simulate the drag of swimming with a flightsuit. Do it in stages, and set yourself a goal. No reason to attempt it all on the first try if you aren't that strong of a swimmer.

Note, in API you go through the swimming classes, and they build up your endurance there. But I would caution weak swimmers to be more prepared, last thing you want to be is on the backside of the power curve when so much else is going on.

For those about to do that mile swim, vaseline works wonders on the chaffing points, under the arms, etc. when you have to swim. Couple people didn't put any on prior to it, and had big old red rashes from that 30-45 min swim.

Hope the info helps.

ghost_ttu

I'm a bit more partial to getting the lifeguard to finally have to ask what I'm doing because you know it would just bug the hell out of them wanting to figure out what you are doing.

ghost_ttu

Ok, this sucks, if it isn't one thing it's another....I went swimming tonight, I'm a VERY strong swimmer, however; I'm a very weak floater. I've complained about this before, but I'm 25, I've never really been able to float because my legs just start sinking. If I paid for lessons, what are they honestly going to tell me that I don't know? Do I need to try to lose muscle in my legs? I don't know how exactly I would do that, but I have to do something to be able to float....

JTP

You wanna take floating lessons?

In all honesty, make your body form a 7 in the water. Chest across the water, and legs down. This was taught to me from my dad, and he learned it in API 30 yrs ago. Keep your arms spread across the surface.

GO DAWGS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.